PDA

View Full Version : Sharing spot X

wiseguy67
24-11-2005, 04:12 PM
There has been talk of keeping spot X a secret.... I agree that some spots are best kept quiet especially if they are located close to brisbane or sydney for example, but i don't think sharing here is going to attract the pros or hundreds of rec fishos. Maybe a few will note the spot for future try outs but its not like the spot will get overrun with fish mongers.

Maybe offshore marks are better kept between friends as resident reef fish take time to replenish.
Landbased spots are continuously changing and most fish are not long term residents, rather they move in for a feed and move on.
On any given day a good spot can be hot and not.

During holidays there is not many spots that are yours alone, land based or off shore.
I have been at the end of Iluka wall when a boat swings up not more than 30m from my livie under a bright orange float, to have the guy try out the spot for a while and move on.
Chokes me to have it happen but hey that the way some people are. Then on the other hand its his spot as much as mine.

With so many variables effecting the bite i think we could be a bit more relaxed in sharing our spot x.....
I have shared 'my' hot spots, (better to call them 'Hot sessions') as well as what bait and rig and i still see the same amount of pressure on the spots.

Looking through various fish mags i find Iluka mentioned in many, as well as many other so called secret spots....

I have found some spots along the eastern seaboard by hiking along rocky bluffs etc.
Its not easy finding some hot spots without putting in the time.
While camping near Booti Booti I went for a walk south and came across a small trail with great big jew scales leading all the way back to a perfect ledge.....
I went back next morning with fishing gear and not a bite. It was a great spot and i will go back. It takes 30 minutes to hike in and by no means would it be easy hiking out with a large fish and all the gear needed to go for a good session. I believe that deters the wannabes from the ones who like to have a bent rod at dawn.

I just don't think that sharing on web sites will ruin it for you on your next trip.

But as i am pretty new to 'web based fishing' I guess its best to stick to what appears to be what most everyone believes to be the way to keep the masses from spoiling a good thing (spot X).

I am always on the lookout for a fresh spot to try when i have a chance or if i'm in the area.
PM me and i will share my spots, if you share yours and i promiss i will not tell a single soul if requested.

At the end of the month i have two weeks to go land based fishing and have yet to decide where to go. If any one has a few tips on locations north or south of Iluka by say plus or minus 600km with camping near by, info will be appreciated.
Its good to live in Iluka but a change of scenery will be nice.

cheers Gerard

robersl
24-11-2005, 07:11 PM
I THINK LIKE ANYWHERE YOU FISH ON ANY GIVEN DAY SPOT X MAY HAVE NO FISH THERE ANYWAY AS FISH DO MOVE FROM SPOT TO SPOT AND AT DIFFERENT TIMES OF THE YEAR AND I FOR 1 HAVE NO PROBLEMS LETTING PEOPLE KNOW WHERE AND HOW TO CATCH FISH IN ANY SPOT I FISH IT'S NOT LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE100 BOATS AT SPOT X ANYWAY AS SPOT X ON THIS SITE IS NORMALLY OUTSIDE THE BAY AND YOU NEED A DECENT SIZE BOAT TO GET THERE AND FISH AND QUITE OFTEN IF YOU ARE NOT ANCHORED UP RIGHT ON THE MARK YOU DO NOT GET THE FISH ANYWAY

SHANE

morty103
24-11-2005, 07:16 PM
the whole reason of a spot X is to keep it a spot X ;D
The limited spot X's i have, im keeping tucked behind my ear ;D

Scott15
24-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Interesting post Gerard

uripper
24-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Your probably right about many SpotXs - hot one day ...

Theres's no doubt though there are some SpotXs that are more hot than others - spent 15yrs in NQ coinciding with the rise of the GPS technology quantum leap & assault on various reef species particularly Red Emporer - mostly an open country offshore fish that often shoal up into schools of similar size on sometimes seemingly inconsequential bottom structure - before GPS they where very much a hit & miss catch if out of sight of landmarks - now identified locations regularly get pummeled by pros & recos alike - think most skippas will say that its much harder to catch big Reds now than say 5-10yrs ago - wonder what its going to be like in another 5-10-15yrs??? :(

Barwon Banks (off Sunshine Coast) is another example of SpotXs under pressure - mostly open viariable country with some spots that hold fish more often than not - probably best fishery left in SEQ - a well respected Mooloolaba pro told me 8yrs ago (Jan 1997- never forget it) that Barwon was commercially finished then & the recos would clean up the scraps - by the look of recent posts (do a search on Barwon) he may have been right :'(

so ... spotXs around Illuka may have limited value but in other parts they can be ... lethal? :-/ #

think that the only sustainability to the future of reco fishing is more catch & release & sadly even lower bag limits - that has to be our contribution??

apologies for rambling - Rip

uripper
24-11-2005, 10:00 PM
since last post - saw this in Saltwater section
My slant on the banks is that it has always been a fantastic location, but just not that well advertised. A lot of guys on this site are fishing it I think since seeing results and hearing about it so much from Mark initially, and then others. Just snowballing. Possibly a lot more people venturing out there in boats that you would not normally have considered suitable. (I once went there once in a 5.25 tinnie and not in a hurry to repeat that)

With these extra boats from the same "ausfish club" fishing it, and then sharing gps marks, more people are having more productive trips, which then inspires others to check it out..... :(

gawby
24-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Wise 67,
Best of luck with your spot x. ;D
We have ours and dont give them out :'(
But if you want to travel about 30ks of southport come along. :o
Graeme

blaze
24-11-2005, 11:13 PM
I have a lot of spot x,s on my gps given to me by people that I know catch fish on them. Rarely do I fish them, I often chase species that others dont, like a jew fish in tassie (never been 1 caught to my knowledge), so why do I do this. I like to explore and pit my fishing thoughts against the foe itself, dont get me wrong, I always like to bring home a feed for me and imidate family but to catch a species that is not normally captured in my local waters and to do it in a spot that I have decided is the best place for me to catch that fish. to me, thats what its all about. So if you are in my neck of the woods and want a spot X then give me a bell and I will gladly share one or two for the fish u chase.
For insteat, I met a family touring tassie today with a kayak, introed my self and told him a few local spots he could catch eastuary perch (most locals dont know they exsist), where he could sight cast to some good flatties etc, made his day and I was happy to help with the local knowledge. Its not all about filling eskies or catch and release, its just fishin
cheers
blaze

INDULGENCE
25-11-2005, 07:45 AM
I use to worry about people knowing where I fish but now I am concerned more about how I fish.
It was said a long time ago that 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fishermen.
We fish an area that has been targetted by fishermen since Australia was first settled and if I thought I was the only one knowing Spot X I have only to look in any of the fisho magazines to bring me back to earth.
Many times we have fished alongside rec and pro boats,we have caught or they may have caught more than us but its the anglers skill that will shine out. Knowing the mark is a small factor.

My concern is that we cant inter change marks without rapists thinking they can run out there and drag the bottom out it for a short term gain, this is not the anglers skill but how big is the net or around here the trap.
I can understand the reluctance of some people to identify locations whether by photos or GPS marks
I use the knowledge gained from interaction such as Ausfish to assist us when we travel and should any members travel this way I would certainly assist in giving them marks to fish and dive.
PM is the best way and how you protect your spot x is then up to you.

Wally

Mick
25-11-2005, 07:52 AM
I can understand trying to keep some spots on the hush when you live and fish in a densely populated location. Fortunately I don't live in one of those places so I don't have much respect for keeping my own secrets. Live in a one horse town there is no one to tell.

blaze
25-11-2005, 07:56 AM
mick you will have to tell the horse, mate it will talk to you. I know we have 2 horse in our town
cheers
blaze

DICER
25-11-2005, 10:57 AM
defining spot x is all about topology.....

f(x)/dV = h+(y2 -g)*(z-1)/(2p*6st)2

where
f is the number of great fish at spot X
V is for types of vermin species encountered
y is the number of reasons for going there
z is the number of spots attempted
g is great bites at the spot
h is number of hooked fish
p is number of pit stops
while st is a time constant for those who use gps (otherwise 1 without)

Duyz72
25-11-2005, 02:41 PM
I would be intersted to hear how many spots people have saved in to their GPS. I would not be surprised if average is over 200 each. So adding another spot X to the list would just be another spot of many.

Billo
25-11-2005, 03:26 PM
I would be intersted to hear how many spots people have saved in to their GPS. #I would not be surprised if average is over 200 each. #So adding another spot X to the list would just be another spot of many.

;D ;D i actually did a check the other week of how many marks i have stored .....was almost 3,000

Not all of them are great spots ...i have about 100 around peel island itself , each mark locates another hollow in a reef or bump or dig out ....also marking dangerous struictures around th epin and the like .

bidkev
25-11-2005, 04:05 PM
I've got 3 spot X's. One for shovellies, one for catties, and one for Stingies. *Nobody* ever asks me to share with them :o :o so my secrets are safe ;D :P

My deckie reckons that if I can't find her G spot, I've no chance of finding spot X ;D

kev

PS any one give me a X spot for giant toadies and mother-in laws?

freddyfish
25-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Kingtin , #I'll give you a hint on the G Spot

It's somewhere between thier forehead and their ankles.

Brad.

Darryl
25-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Kingtin, blakelys near the oyster lease for those giant toadies mate.

Haven't got the gps marks but you know where it is mate lol.

Fair dinkum though, they are on steriods there the toadies and have bigger front teeth than chad morgan. ;D

bidkev
25-11-2005, 07:41 PM

Haven't got the gps marks but you know where it is #mate lol.

Fair dinkum though, they are on steriods there the toadies and have bigger front teeth than chad morgan. ;D

Like this? ;D

bidkev
25-11-2005, 07:44 PM

Haven't got the gps marks but you know where it is mate lol.

Like this? ;D

robersl
25-11-2005, 07:56 PM
kingtin great spot x straight out from scotts point for you sharkies 400m

Brejen
25-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Kev that thing looks like the one Skippa and i tagged and released at Mud the other day.

Brett

bidkev
25-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Kev that thing looks like the one Skippa and i tagged and released at Mud the other day.

Brett

Can't be Brett :-? I sold it to a Nipponese chef for 2000bucks ;D

kev

skippa
25-11-2005, 10:04 PM

Brett

Can't be Brett :-? I sold it to a Nipponese chef for 2000bucks ;D

kev

That's one way to pay the fuel bill Kev ;D

longtail
25-11-2005, 10:06 PM
hey kev , that looks like the nth side of crusoe there ;)
gotta be more careful if ya dont wanna share ya spot x ;D ;D

cheers
jason

Darryl
25-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Hhahaah yer exactly like that kev.

Lmao@nipponese.

bidkev
25-11-2005, 10:41 PM
hey kev , that looks like the nth side of crusoe there #;)
gotta be more careful if ya dont wanna share ya spot x #;D ;D

cheers
jason

Nothin' to share Jason. With a donk like mine, Blakelys is only 10 minutes away................but you're right, Crusoe is the spot for the photo;D

kev

theoldlegend
26-11-2005, 07:33 AM
Dicer,

I've carefully evaluated your formula and reckon it's flawed. :-?

The last set of numbers (in brackets) should have been cubed and not squared.

TOL

theoldlegend
26-11-2005, 07:35 AM
Hi Gerard,

There's a good spot on the wall right out near the end. Some bloke has cemented a holder into one of the rocks there. ;D

TOL

DICER
26-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks TOL, but I've checked the sums - you can solve away for both GPS spots and G spots in my formula. But don't be like Kev and substitute dV for infinity.

That's one mighty toady there Kev!

Darryl
27-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Anyone can have any of my spot x's, there all ####ing useless. :o

longtail
27-11-2005, 10:05 AM
aww.. now don't be like that darryl , we caught plenty yesterday 8-)
unfortunately we had to release them all too ::) ;D

cheers
jason

DICER
28-11-2005, 06:05 AM
You can also solve for F spots in the equation ;D ;D :D

DICER
28-11-2005, 06:06 AM
post 666 is the mark of the beast.... :o

juicyfruit
28-11-2005, 08:10 AM
Hi Gerard,

There's a good spot on the wall right out near the end.

TOL

Getting closer to finding the G-Spot there!!!!!!!

Frank_Oostenbroek
28-11-2005, 12:50 PM
The days of the old Put! Put! are gone. Any person who buys a $15,000 boat and a four stroke engine can get anywhere they want to.

I have personally noticed the massive decline in fish over the last twenty years.. Not that this decline is due to the line or recreational fisherman, but they are having a big impact.

Just look at the number of Tinnies out on the water every day.

You may give you most garded secret spot to just one person one day and within a month you notice that there are four or five boats sitting exactly on your spot.

If you don't believe me. Ask five different people to print out their GPS marks and place them in order from North to south. All five versions will be identical with one or two slight changes.

If you want to continue to enjoy your fishing, safeguard your spot X.

If your friends want to catch fish like you do, take them out in your boat but make sure they don't have their handhelds in their pocket.....

wiseguy67
28-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Well, the first few replys were worthy of a read then it went off track a bit and then i got a great laugh when i read what #"juicyfruit" had to say:Quote from theoldlegend on Nov 26th, 2005, 7:35am:
Hi Gerard,

There's a good spot on the wall right out near the end.

TOL

Reply from Juiceyfruit: Getting closer to finding the G-Spot there!!!!!!! #LOL

Some spots are harder to find than others even with the best directions. In some cases such as the g-spot the GPS will fail you, it's all up to experience ::)
Juiceyfruit your too funny ;)

itreallywas
28-11-2005, 06:45 PM
I honestly think there should be a total yearly bag limit on some of the species
Yes it would be hard to enforce but i want my kids to enjoy fishing as well !!!
Not just the reef rapists that are out their now .

thumps
29-11-2005, 11:02 AM
a mate of mine is a charter boat operator out of pirates bay in Tas

he targets southern bluefin tuna....the average yearly quota is about 200 tones.....approx..( i would need to verify this to be accurate)

if thats the case...thats .54 a kilo a day

given the average blue is around 15 kilo....thats one fish every 3 days...seems hard dont it....if he averaged 3 fish every three days...he wouldnt get clients at all.

he operates a mono hull...and runs up to 4 clients a day
the way i see things...thats pretty much the average for a serious rec fisherman......given the bluefin season lasts about 3 months....120 days fishing out of 365...doent take much to reach a limit...does it

but i agree with you....there are ppl taking too much

itreallywas
01-12-2005, 06:38 PM
a mate of mine is a charter boat operator out of pirates bay in Tas

he targets southern bluefin tuna....the average yearly quota is about 200 tones.....approx..( i would need to verify this to be accurate)

if thats the case...thats .54 #a kilo a day

given the average blue is around 15 kilo....thats one fish every 3 days...seems hard dont it....if he averaged 3 fish every three days...he wouldnt get clients at all.

he operates a mono hull...and runs up to 4 clients a day
the way i see things...thats pretty much the average for a serious rec fisherman......given the bluefin season lasts about 3 months....120 days fishing out of 365...doent take much to reach a limit...does it

but i agree with you....there are ppl taking too much

Check your calculations thumps it is just over half a tonne a day by mine ! 200000/365

thumps
04-12-2005, 10:28 AM
my bad

apologies

thumps
04-12-2005, 10:43 AM
http://www.marine.csiro.au/LeafletsFolder/31sbt/31sbt.html

Concerns about overfishing in the 1960s and 1970s saw New Zealand, Japan and Australia agree to set quotas to stabilise the stock. Quotas were progressively lowered during the 1980s with a major quota cut of 50 percent in 1988. Quotas have remained at this level.

But catches by fleets fishing outside the Commission have increased dramatically in recent years. Today vessels from Indonesia, Korea and Taiwan are taking an estimated 4000 tonnes of SBT, the equivalent of nearly one third of the total allowable catch set be the Commission (11,750 t), taking the true global catch to about 17,000 tonnes. the Australian quota is 5,265 t, valued at about $100 million a year. New Zealand's quota is 420 t, and the Japanese quota is 6065 t.

like i said...i had to verify........the suggestion is that rec fishers quota should be 10t.....whilst i make apology for the 200.....and possible put an extra zero on....mixing up the Pro's Quota and that of a Rec fisher.

that puts us here

10t = 10000kg
divide by 365 =27.39

thumps
04-12-2005, 11:13 AM
i forgot to mention...thats divided by 20 charter operators

so 27.39 divide by 20

1.3 kilos

when i said pro verses rec...i meant those boats that operate purley as fishing boats...not charter operators