PDA

View Full Version : sea sick tablets??

shano
02-12-2005, 07:22 PM
just wanting to know what the best sea sickness tablets are??

longtail
02-12-2005, 07:25 PM
i'm no expert mate , but i'm told kwells are the best

cheers
jason

gunna
02-12-2005, 07:25 PM
I prefer Travacalm. If I can't get them then I use Kwells.

shano
02-12-2005, 07:28 PM
excelent ... thats what they gave me;)
they say take half hour before ya leave! but i have heard people say take them a day before then on the day?????

first_mate
02-12-2005, 08:13 PM
I have taken kwells. The night before and then just before getting on the boat. Not sure if they work, but I know I don't get it sick after I take them. Have burleyed for an hour once when I forgot to take a tablet before going offshore - but the fishing was great!!
Angus

shano
02-12-2005, 08:20 PM
cool thats all good then! nothing worse then heaving!

Dug
02-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Stemetil available on prescription only but it works a treat.

Talk to your Doctor and try it on dry land first as there can be some interesting side effects.

About 1 in 100,000 people have a severe fitting attacks from the drug. Not good on a small rocking boat and it will wreck your days fishing :o

cheers doug

philip_thomson
02-12-2005, 08:58 PM
different tablets do different things for different people.

as a seasickness sufferer and the inventor of the "phil scramble" ;D (ask zeeke or mackmauler) i have tried a few things.

i have been using a few different tablets and found kwell to do the job up until june this year. my body seems to have built up an immunity to Kwell and they no longer affect me in any way.

saw something on creek to coast today about a chicken soup you can make :o

Ozwald
02-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Phil
Fortunately for me I dont suffer,but the missus does. She swears by travacalm. When we were out in the pacific she had some morning sickness pills that seemed to do the job as well, but that was more reactive than preventative. Cant remember what they were called....I think it may take a bit of explaining to your doctor why you want them too!
Oz

Hoges
02-12-2005, 09:09 PM
The best cure for seasickness, ever... Sit under a tree.

[smiley=dizzy.gif]

[smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif]

shano
02-12-2005, 09:26 PM
:-?

al_neibling
03-12-2005, 08:38 AM
Shano,

I think it is one of those things you just have to try for your self, like phil says different things work for different people.

Now me, I cure mine with an amber liquid and it is very important that you partake in the first dose just prior to going over any bar or exiting any creek. After that a steady intake of subsequent doses works a treat for me ;D

failling that our family takes kwells

merry xmas
Al

noodlemantra
03-12-2005, 08:45 AM
kwells and a round (has to be round) bandaid attached underneath your left ear.

dont ask me, how or why. all I can say - it will do the job.

S-Strike
03-12-2005, 08:54 AM
take qwells 1/2 hour before you go then every 3-4 hours. they thicken the liquid in your inner ear which is where the nausea feeling comes from. this may cause you to feel dehydrated so drink plenty of water. If you can - get an anti-nausea remedy - maxalon or simialr - you will need a prescription. this is only if you get sick. if you can keep it down it will fix the nausea.

the best remedy i have found when you are out there is to jump in the water for a few minutes - obviously this doesn't apply in shark areas but worked well if i could get to a shallow reef or sand quay.

DAVE_S
03-12-2005, 09:26 AM
also worth trying are those wirst bands

shano
03-12-2005, 10:21 AM
on the packet it says take 1-2 tablets ,half hour before!
so now it has me wondering how many to take???

Outsider
03-12-2005, 11:00 AM
I tried Kwells, Ginger Tabs, Phenergan (spelling??? - recommended by the Navy), Avomine, Dramamine, earplugs and this electronic shock device worn on the wrist.

None of them worked.

Then I tried Travacalm Original - not the natural one - the one in the white box with blue writing and problem solved. I was almost ready to sell the boat.

Apparently there are only one one or two molecules difference between each of these products chemical composition - it's just a matter of finding the right one for you.

There is NOTHING worse than getting crook - except forgetting to take a pill. [smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=stupid.gif] [smiley=help.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]

Franco
03-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Hi Boyz,

A bit of Background before I drop the final Diagnosis & Treatment:

1. #I am obsessed by my fishing, whether it be Offshore, estuary or freshwater. #It consumes all my spare time and too much of my not-so-spare time!

2. #I go offshore any chance I can get. #Usually on mates boats, as I only have had small tinnies in the past. #Without treatment, I will ALWAYS get severely sick unless it's dead flat. #And I mean severely. #Once I'm sick my whole day is screwed and I'm friggin useless. #I go anyway coz I love it out there, and now I have the seasickness thing virtually beat.

3. #Being an Emergency / ICU Doctor, I have a little knowledge of how these drugs all work!! #I have tried EVERYTHING in the past, all the tricks and natural crap that doesn't work (for me anyhow). #I soon proved that going out and making the Bundy Rum company richer the night before, and going straight to the boat ramp from a nightclub doesn't stop you getting sick on a game boat.

What I can recommend after all is said and done:

1. #You MUST get enough good sleep the night before. #You need at least 5-6 hours sleep. #If you are too anxious / excited before a trip, then take a sleeping tablet early and get to bed!!

2. #As soon as you wake up in the morning, take 1 Travelcalm tablet (not the natural one). #They actually will take about 1-2 hours to have #the proper effect. #You will likely feel drowsy when it hits you, but this side effect usually wears off after half an hour, however the beneficial effects persist. #Forget about the other drugs, this IS the best one to use, as it has 2 active components that work via different pathways.

3. #You HAVE to eat breakfast. #On the boat you should try to keep eating small amounts continously, so you're never with an empty stomach. but also never too full. #This is really important. #try to avoid spicy food or soft drinks, unless its red bull to give you wings!! #I love the stuff but its bad for you. #I aim for bland foods like roast chicken rolls with gravy etc. as the travelcalm can give you heartburn. #Unfortunately every tablet has side effects! #Of course, you can take an antacid tablet to stop this!

4. #When you're at the boat ramp, (or around 1-1.5 hours after your first tablet) then take another one if you're someone who usually gets really sick. #This spreads out the side effects somewhat. #Also take more on board with you if you are going all day. #you can top up as directed on the packet.

5. #If you DO start to feel off, ie before you get sick, (you start burping and feeling funny) then get your head down ASAP, close your eyes and if you're lucky, you'll fall half asleep. #You actually get sick due to a discordance between sensory / balance information from the ocular (eyes) #and the (vestibular) ears input pathways, which are sending your brain confused messages. #By taking your eyes out of the equation and sleeping you "reset" your balance centres to the motion of the boat. #Hopefully you'll wake up much better, feel hungry, and crack on. #Last time this happened to me I woke up, scoffed a beer then hooked a marlin! Obviously the smaller the boat the harder this will be!

6. #If you go offshore heaps you actually develop tolerance, and will need less tablets or none at all.

Well there you have it.......

That'll be $125 dollars! #Just pay the receptionist at the door!

Hope that helps Everyone. [smiley=cool.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

shano
03-12-2005, 03:34 PM
thanks for that DR FRANCO #;D

shano
03-12-2005, 07:27 PM
so no need to take one the night before? aand only take one tablet not 2?

al_neibling
03-12-2005, 07:44 PM
See I told you I saw beer in there!! straight from the doc ;D

adriancorrea
03-12-2005, 08:02 PM
I always take a kwell 1/2 hour before boarding and I havent been sick yet
Last trip out with Rob I used the wrist bands and didnt get sick either.
The first time I went out I got sick and have taken the tablet ever since.

Tight Lines
Adrian

Hoges
03-12-2005, 08:11 PM

May we see your Medicare Card first! LOL

Actually one thing that Franco mentioned does help and that is to lie down for 10 minutes or so until the drowsingness disapates a little.

Touch wood I don't suffer from sea sickness and only once felt the early onset of the burley belly but went below a put the head down for a few minutes. Once the sleepy feeling went away after a couple of minutes I got back on deck feeling okay.

I have done a lot of sailing up and down the east coast and voyagers overseas and pulled up well but have seen a few crew mates so ill they want to end it all. They were so ill we had to strap them into the cockpit as they refused to go below. Those that ventured below with a bucket and some sea sick pills did come good after a while trying to sleep it off. Those that stayed in the cockpit were on the whole continually ill until they hit the hard stuff, land which they inverably kissed once upon it.

I feel for these poor souls as there is not much they can do about it. Guess I was born with such a thick head I don't suffer this problem.

shano
03-12-2005, 08:58 PM
well thanks for all the help guys will see how i go! heading out at 5 so will be up at 3.30 leave at 4 at the ramp by 4.30 then like i said leave at 5! will put up report tomorrow night! cheers time for a good sleep like the good doc said;)

Billo
03-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Dramamine are the best i have come across ....less side effect as aswell

if your prone to sea sickness, one before bed , one in the morn ...maybe 2 if your bad

i rarely take them at all these days ....but if i am going wide , i take one in the morn just to cover the bases .,..worst time to have to take them is when your already sick !

cabfisher
04-12-2005, 07:57 AM
Hi all well I am a lucky son of a gun as I am one of the lucky one's that dont get seasick .
But did one morning after Breakfast ( One large bowl Of cornflakes and milk I drank the rest of the pint of milk and that was all I had in side me so after a hour or so of rocking aroung I felt porely so we went ashore had a sandwidge of bread cheese and some more dry bread , Then went back out fishing feeling fine .
so when I bought a yacht and my son and his mates all around 10 - 13 years old would come out on the boat I would give them some Arrowroot biscuits or any other dry bicuits and dont drink and fizy drinks of any kind. my wife finds takes Stimmtell works fine ( But you will need a doctors preciption to buy them at a chemist best of luck as it a sade way to bee
Cheers Harry

thumps
04-12-2005, 10:23 AM
have tried all of the above....and the best thing i found

try them out for yourself and see what works for you

but

dont think about it...dont eat too much...or drink alcohol the night before....the mind is a strange thing.

having fished the southern ocean swells off Tassie..where the swells get higher than the boat..and ya cant see over the next set.

evryone gets sick....it will happen...even a few of my proffesional everyday charter mates get sick occassionally.......(one i know gets sick on flat days)

Bosunsmate
04-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Have been told on good account that putting a band aid accross the bellybutton works damn fine......

Don't suffer myself so have not tried it but have heard from sources with young ones that it definately works well....

;D

backhoe
04-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Kwells work fine for me, never been crook when I've taken them.
Bloke I took out once was starting to feel a bit crook and drank a stubby holder full of sea water. Was nearly enough to make me start hurling just watching it, but he didn't get crook. Not sure if there is any science in it or it's just mind over matter but it works for him.

yockman
04-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Love those big Southern Ocean swells eh thumps! My stomping ground and lucky I've got a good stomach.

There was an hilarious article in one of the fishing mags a few years back about the five stages of seasickness - denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

"How do you feel?"
"Fine"
How are you now?"
"I told you, I'm FINE."
"If you take me back in, now, I promise I will......(insert appropriate, - raise your pay, clean all the fish, pay all the fuel, have conjugal relations with you every night,etc)
"I HATE BOATS (blerk berk) AND THE SEA (spew spew) AND i'M NEVER DOIN THIS AGAIN (BLERK)
Finally, the victim accepts his/her fate and lies down wimpering on a pile of ropes, reappearing when the boat is winched back on to the trailer.

Thumps, one of those sadistic charter boat skippers told me once that one of the joys of his job is seeing the punters pay big money to have the worst day of their lives. It gets really rough out there!

thumps
04-12-2005, 09:29 PM
lol

i know...its awful.. ;)..to see 10 grown men..pay 1200 odd bucks to drink like mad in the first hour...eat nothing...then beg to get on land...and the best part....those "sadistic skippers"....like you to get your monies worth ;D

gunna
05-12-2005, 09:30 AM

Dr Franco is spot on. I take one when I go to bed. One with breakfast at 0400. One at the ramp at about 0530 then one every 3 hours whether I feel crook or not. Stick with that & you will be right.

Took me a while to put myself back on Travacalm after I copped one from the bad batch that was withdrawn. I had taken one with brekky then drove over to the mates place to get his boat. He had a puncture & no spare so we cancelled & I tried to drive home. Side effects of the crook pill kicked in and it was an interesting drive home - and a touch scary.

Franco
05-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Gunna that's a pretty interesting point you make about that bad batch. We have seen people with side effects due to really high levels of active drug in those dodgy batches of tablets from before. Wouldn't mind hearing your version.

PM me if you wouldn't mind. Honestly I'll make it a free visit!

Guys those Old wives tales and tricks rarely do work, and if they do it's probably due to the placebo effect. At the end of the day you can't beat properly conducted clinical trials to prove the effectiveness of a treatment medication.

At the end of the day, most guys drinking a fake, non-alcoholic beer that tasted just like REAL beer still wouldn't get pissed after a drinking a carton!! For those of you that wouldn't be pissed after a REAL carton ...... then you drink too much Dude!!!

thumps
05-12-2005, 01:46 PM
yeah..but if they ever do make a FAKE beer that tastes like REAL beer...will it sell????

Franco
05-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Not to me it won't!!

[smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Hoges
05-12-2005, 02:07 PM
yeah..but if they ever do make a FAKE beer that tastes like REAL beer...will it sell????

:-?
Drinking light beer is like having sex in a canoe!
Both f#*%ing close to water. LOL
:o