PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard about the Shark at Tannum Beach?

Needmorerum
29-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Aparently the following photo's are of a Tiger Shark that was dragged out of the shark baits at tannum beach. Not sure on the truth in this, checked around the web and couldn't find anything.
Anyone heard anything?

Needmorerum
29-11-2005, 08:13 PM

Needmorerum
29-11-2005, 08:14 PM

Needmorerum
29-11-2005, 08:15 PM

Needmorerum
29-11-2005, 08:16 PM

Needmorerum
29-11-2005, 08:22 PM
I don't know the area well enough to say that this is Tannum or not. One story has it near Canoe Point, the other at the mouth of the Boyne.

What ya reckon.

Corry

Rainbowrunner
29-11-2005, 08:31 PM
That is canoe point which is the mouth of the boyne, that is boyne island in the background,.

Why-ting
29-11-2005, 08:32 PM
I dunno the area either but thats a pretty decent tiger! Was that smaller shark regurgetated?

Rainbowrunner
29-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Tannum sands beach is just around the corner where the baits are set.

Rainbowrunner
29-11-2005, 08:36 PM
looks like the boat of the guy whos has the contract, hes been doing that for years and that would just be an average catch, weve seen them alot bigger just across the mouth of the harbour from there.

DNO40
29-11-2005, 08:46 PM
It's got to be true Corry, ....... it was in the Observer ;)

DNO

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
29-11-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm with Rainbowrunner

I lived very close to the mouth of the Boyne for a good number of years, and yes I am sure that it the shark contractors boat in the background. Every now and then a big mother would wash up either at Canoe Point or on the beach of Boyne Is just north of the leads.

Dave

NEWBY
29-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Ya gotta start reading the local papaer Corry. It was on the fron page last week. ;D
It is true and 3 others were caught a few weeks ago. 3 meter tiger sharks. Bloody big fish.

harry_h01
30-11-2005, 07:35 AM
The pics in the paper were from the tiger taken three years ago.

The latest catch was bigger but they didn't publish the pics of it.

Harry

Streaker
30-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Corry
I have caught plenty when I lived in Gladstone. We were also followed by one coming in from Masthead years ago. The boat was 17ft the tiger bigger.
Wayne

bugman
30-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Dive master I know had a 5m plus Tiger come into the entrance channel to Fitzroy Lagoon when he was taking a group of students on their first dive. Anyone who know the channel knows it's about 5m wide 30m long and sheer walls and the whole group was on the bottom. He pointed to the walls and the 8 students hugged the walls to withing an inch of their lives. When they finished half the group swore they'd never get into the water again and the other half thought it was the greatest thing that had ever happened.

Bugman

Volvo
30-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Corry, like rainbowrunner sez "they is average size and have seen em much bigger" .Quite true for the area..
On the Shoals some time back had a Hammerhead the size of the boat if not bigger come pay a visit and was in an eveil mood the way he was darting here n there looking for something or someone to annoy..
Sure made us leave our lines alone lol.
Anyhows last trip out one of the Spaniards we brought back onboard was just less than halfe there with most the bottom halfe of him being taken by a Shark and can tell you the bit we got back was quite a good size bit of Mackeral so can imagine the size of the Shark that took the bight ey!!!!!..
Makes ya think twice about taking that quick dip on a hot day whilst out on the oggin ey :-?..
Cheers

CQ_Fisher
30-11-2005, 01:22 PM
and thats why i dont swim in the ocean.....fish f#@k in it and sharks live in it. Simple as that.

Hey Corry, hows all the reno's and shed coming along mate. This weekend coming is my first weekend in Gladstone for ages, I'll give you a ring later in the week and see if you wanna catch up for a drink.......or 10.

Cheers
JD

Billo
01-12-2005, 08:22 AM
I got the same report ....

cuzzamundi
01-12-2005, 02:47 PM
great tiger! looks like the place from what i remember.

streaker,

you serious? what length would you call it at? thats a monster!!! did it harrass you guys? unreal.

cheers,

cuzza

Needmorerum
02-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. Newby, I still have no idea why I would buy our local paper. Everytime I do, there's nothing in it. I finally seen the story in the local free paper. Was gunna drop into your work the other day, but don't know what time you finish of an arvo.
JD, reno's aren't going to bad. Punched out a couple of walls upstairs, and the shed is 90% finished. Just waiting for the roller door to go up. Keep getting held back by the rain. The kitchen has had it's final measure and is being made as I type, should be in by Christmas. Back yard is yet to have the bobcat go over it to level it out and then for the turf to go down, but the rain again is holding this off. Could just see me hooking up one of the Cruisers to pull a bobcat out of the back yard.

May have to organise an Ausfish Chrissy drink like we did last year for the local crowd. Thoughts?

Corry

peabow
03-12-2005, 09:56 AM
that bloke is mad sticking his arm in there i have seen someone do that and hit a nerve and its all over for your hand and like that bloke holding its head would stop it hahahahah

Hoges
06-12-2005, 01:52 PM
This one from todays Melb Sun...

Shark snaps up boat bait

06dec05

ROBERT Hogg, his son James and a friend have had a terrifying brush with a four-metre great white shark.

The trio were enjoying a "relaxing day in the boat" last week at Middle Beach, about 40km north of Adelaide, when a shark launched out of the water about 3.30pm and tore into a bait bag attached to their 5.4m fibreglass boat.

On the first day of summer weekday shark patrols, the alarm was sounded to get swimmers out of the water at Aldinga's Silver Sands Beach after a huge shark was seen just 100m off shore yesterday.

Mr Hogg described his run-in with the great white as "a bit of a shock".

"We felt a bit of a jerk and then the boat sort of started pulling sideways," Mr Hogg said.

"It was bloody huge.

"I unknotted the burley bag and tried to hold on to it.

"Then the shark showed himself at the back of the boat and had a bit of a taste test."

Mr Hogg said the shark swam around behind the boat for about 10 minutes before swimming off.

"I was a bit worried when the boat was being dragged," he said.

"It did no real harm – just took a bite out of the hydrofoil at the bottom of the motor."