PDA

View Full Version : Alright, which joker moved Curtin Reef?

2iar
05-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Hi all,

Shot over to Moreton from Nudgee on Saturday, with the plan to check out Curtin Reef. I had a GPS mark that I got from a book I bought in Kmart, and I was also under the impression that the reef is a couple of hundred metres off shore from the land-based marker north of Cowan Cowan, near the mouth of a little creek. Surprisingly, there were no other boats around to give me a clue. Checked the charts also, and I looked about right. I had a bit of a sound around, but couldn't seem to locate it...

Am I close to/in the right spot?

Could some kind soul please provide an accurate GPS mark for the reef, (not a Spot X unless you really want to [smiley=smiley.gif])

Shot down to Tangalooma wrecks (I found these ok [smiley=smiley.gif]), and picked up a couple of trevors (keepers), a big (suspected) long tom and a parrotty-looking wrasse - it was solid enough, but I wasn't sure what it was so they both went back. Shot over to Mud on the way back and caught a heap of undersized squire, with a couple of bustoffs from unidentified big things (probably catfish).

Thanks in advance,
Mike

caught-ya
05-12-2005, 06:11 PM
gday mike,

I have fished curtain a couple of times now.....
There are 2 white crosses on poles on the beach that mark it for me, Can also see the dark shapes under the water.

Fishinmishin
05-12-2005, 07:38 PM
If I had my boat I'd pm you a mark that has been ok for me. Remind me after friday when I should get it back >:(.
27.06.600 153.21.750 that should put you in the area for now.
Cheers, Jay

uripper
05-12-2005, 07:54 PM
2iar
suggest do a search on "curtain" it brings up some great stuff including maps from memory - anyways, also suggest better times are smaller tides on channel side & up current of wrecks with lots of berley - be prepared to quickly drop the anchor on a float & head westwards cause once those big suckers get back into the wrecks - your busted! seems to be a place that is often quiet but can also produce some very big mothers eg cobia, tuna, snaps etc
good luck - Rip

webby
05-12-2005, 08:31 PM
This might help stop getting a few snags ;D

2iar
05-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks Guys,

Seems the question shouldn't have been "which joker moved Curtin Reef?" so much as "what idiot had his GPS set to Aus Geod '84 instead of WGS84?".

70-odd km round trip without finding it - I'll take the fifth on what idiot it might have been:) [smiley=embarassed.gif]

Jay - Cheers mate, that's exactly the mark I had. It seems to be 200m NNE from where I was. I'm happy to provide the mark, but trust me, there's nothing there!

Caught-ya - Only saw one pole, so I'll keep an eye out. Thanks.

uripper - Thanks for the tips, I'm planning on heading over again on Saturday morning, so I'll give it a burl.

Webby - I've got that dive map. It looks the goods and why I was so interested, and couldn't understand why I wasn't picking it up on the sounder. Unfortunately, I didn't have the "how to get there" part [smiley=sad.gif]

Thanks guys, it's my shout.

Good luck,
Mike

bungie
06-12-2005, 05:51 AM
webby ( or any body ), you wouldn't have that map in a PDF so it can be blown up with out much loss of quolity ??

StevenM
06-12-2005, 07:20 AM
Brian,

Where do you find this valuable info. I think you need to post your favourites sites so we can all see. LOL

Cheers

Black_Rat
06-12-2005, 08:03 AM
That map is missing my anchor and 5meters of shortlink chain # ::) >:(
Somewhere amongst the car bodies I presume :(

bidkev
06-12-2005, 09:08 AM
That map is missing my anchor and 5meters of shortlink chain # ::) >:(
Somewhere amongst the car bodies I presume #:(

Yeah! Your anchor should be clearly visible seeing as it's got two of mine attached to it ::) :o ;D

kev

webby
06-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Bungie if you pm me your email will send a copy.
Dont no where i got it had it for years
This might help as the other shot was blurry.
regards