PDA

View Full Version : Mercuary levels in big fish.

matt20
06-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Hi lads,
Ive heard that you shouldnt really eat sharks over 3 feet or so beacause of mercury or lead in their system which is no good for our/your health. I would have thought the same may have existed for bigger fish as well; dollies, mackeral, any big table fish really.
Any thoughts or theroies.....
Cheers
matt

thumps
07-12-2005, 07:37 AM
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Mercury_in_fish?OpenDocument

::)

wacco_fozzy
07-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Bloke in the US got done for stealing a Marlin from the fish markets and driving off. Charged with "Illegal levels of fish in a Mercury"

Sorry, couldn't resist

Billo
07-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Bloke in the US got done for stealing a Marlin from the fish markets and driving off. Charged with "Illegal levels of fish in a Mercury"

Sorry, couldn't resist

;D ;D ;D ;D almost ;D ;D

yeh , interesting thing that ...i reckon depends on the shark .
Fish ( or animals ) that consistently prey on other pelagic species are most prone to high mercury levels to my understanding .
This puts sharks like MAKO's to the top of the shark list for high levels of metals , whislt sharks like hammerheads will feed on crabs an assortments , whites , tigers eat a lot of mammals such as seals , and inshore sharks feeding on other non pelagic species .