PDA

View Full Version : Powerlining?

el_carpo
05-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you guys or gals have heard of or tried this method of fishing. I myself have never tried it but have seen it here in Chicago at Lake Michigan a few times. The set-up can be seen in the picture I will include in this post (hopefully I post it right). What it doesn't show is the method of "casting" out the anchor. They use the power of a fire extinguisher to "blast" it out far into the lake like a canon. It is quite a spectacle and this produces a LOUD "POP!" noise. Not sure if you guys heard of this before or if it may be something for the shorefishermen to try (if allowed by law ;D the noise may make the police take an interest.) Anyone ever try it?

szopen
05-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Both set ups are just a different version of trotlines, not very legal in many parts of the world.

Where legal the weight on the endo of the line can be also carried out using one of them model boats for smaller weights, bigger ones have to be taken out using normal boad as they are way to heavy for any other way of "transportation".

Work_Bench
05-12-2005, 04:11 PM
To make that rig legal the line with the hooks on it must be connected
to a reel otherwise it would be classed as a set line.

Other than that is just looks like a pretty messy way to fish , imagine the tangles
from all the other fisho's around you.

Rob

Big_unit
05-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Pommies & Yankees, doing whatever than can to rape the waters. Your kidding, why not just set a gill net up incase you miss a few.

Cheers
James

szopen
05-12-2005, 04:35 PM
James,

Just curious.
Where do the English fit into this equasion???

I agree that set lines/trotlines or however one wishes to call this are not what can be considered sport fishing. Rather a shore based version of longlining.

This type of fishing is illegal in many places for many reasons.

On the other side it is the best method of reducing the population of (catching many) eels and catfish.

el_carpo
05-12-2005, 11:09 PM
Well, I better clarify I guess. It is NOT a widely used method here. Most everyone uses a single rod and reel set-up (99.9999 percent). Again, I personally have never used a trot-line nor this powerline deal. Trot-lining is illegal here too in the States (I don't know how this powerlining differs from it but somehow it is allowed on the lakefront.) I have ripped up and destroyed three illegal trot lines and contacted the authorities as to their presence. I was just asking if it was used at all and if you've heard of it. I wasn't trying to condone it.

Thanks for the replies szopen and workbench.

E.C.-----another typical, ordinary, run-of-the-mill, average American water rapist. ::)

And yeah, why bring the English into it? They never bashed the Wiggles James. ;D ;D ;D ZING!

raefpud
05-12-2005, 11:59 PM
do I need a PHD to set one up bcoz it sure looks like it
;D ;D ;D ;D

el_carpo
06-12-2005, 01:07 AM
No PHD required raefpud, but I would have some good health and life insurance. ;D Those "extinguisher canons" aren't the most stable anchor chucking devices I've ever seen. ;D

It's a quick "Sign of the cross" (just in case Santa, Superman or God is watching), a "Fire in the hole!!!", and a KA-BOOM! ;D But, if the thing doesn't explode and kill you, the anchor shoots out quite a ways. ;D

Seamus
06-12-2005, 05:36 PM
EC,

Maybe we could combine this thread and that of Seahorse (Jet Skis) and come up with a duel use for the extinguisher cannons. ;D

Just a thought

Seamus.

el_carpo
07-12-2005, 01:20 AM
;D Yeah, that would work alright Seamus! You ever hear of a "spud-chucker"? You make a canon out of a length of pvc pipe and fit a chunk of potatoe in the end. You either use an extinguisher or if you're REALLY feeling insane, you can use some hair spray and a match as the explosive. You point it at something you want to hit very hard with a potatoe for some reason ;D, set off the explosive, pressurizer thingy listen for the BA-BANGO! and wach the fun. Just make sure someone you know can afford to bail you out of jail otherwise it can be a long wait for trial. ;D

"Jet ski off the port bow cap'n!"

"Load potatoe chuckers and fire at will!"

BaBOOM! BaBOOM! BababaBOOOOOMMMMM!

"Direct hit!"

Cheers and applause!

You know, there is one way you could get away with it. You capture the offending jet skier, bring him aboard, and douse him with whiskey. When the police get there and he starts going on about how you and your crew ;D fired potatoes at him out of plastic canons all while smelling of whiskey (use the cheap stuff, don't waste good booze on a jet skier) the police are sure to believe you about how you saw him hit an endangered whale (that's what caused the dent in his vessel) and now he's trying to cover his bottom with some CRAZY story of potatoes and plastic canons and guys talking like old time movie pirates......Yeah, I think that just might work. ;D Just make sure you ditch the spud-chuckers before the cops show up.

I have no life. None whatsoever. Mehh! I have a good time! :)

E.C.

land_based
07-12-2005, 01:36 AM
what ever happened to a running ball sinker down to a baitholder hook with a dirty old prawn on it??? ;D

DICER
07-12-2005, 03:37 AM
it just got better..... ;D

bushbeachboy
07-12-2005, 01:13 PM
land based,
that is sooooo boring! Much more fun to declare a potato war on the jet skier's. You just have to remember to duck, because they can shoot back. Just imagine what a whole bunch of potato cannons could do to a crab-pot thief up a creek on a dark night.