PDA

View Full Version : Webby's BushnBeach article on member "DC"

Reefmaster
02-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Well I don’t know if anyone has mentioned anything on here about Brian Webb’s (Webby) BushnBeach article this month on Ausfish member “DC” (Dane) but I believe it needs a mention.
For those who don’t know DC is a c5 quadriplegic whom I must say needs a bloody medal.
What an inspiration this guy is and a fine example of determination and great attitude towards life.
If you don’t have a copy of this months BushnBeach then go get one and read page 31&32. The article is called “A fishing inspiration” and Brian you’re a legend for writing such an article which couldn’t have been written any better, you should be commended for your efforts. It must also be mentioned the effort that “JB” Jason puts in to get DC out fishing and make his passion real like everyone else. DC you’re lucky to have such top mates like Jason to help you out and make it all happen. For those who are unable to get hold of a BushnBeach then maybe DC can add his own Ausfish story on this post.

Regards,
Greg

Fishinmishin
03-12-2005, 12:26 AM
I haven't read it yet but I will now. Good on ya for taking the time to write it Brian and good on ya Dane as it sounds like your an inspiration to people. I remember the post about the trip a bit back and to get a write-up from Webby (tough as nails ;)) especially after being late to one of his trips :-X.....you should take pride in that.
Cheers, Jay

Lucky_Phill
03-12-2005, 07:08 AM
Yes Brian nice work, also you to Dane.

I first met Dane & GF quite some time ago and have been privey to his work, and efforts regarding fishing. Also have seen Jason and Dane on the water.

I didn't quite click to me the first time I saw Dane's avatar..........." Wheel 'em in ". But know we all know.

Inspirational fellas........................

Cheers Phill

Hagar
03-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Having met DC on the water last mackeral season have gotta say he is the keenest fisho I know , despite slippery roundabouts and loose mackeral - eh DC . Onya Webby and JB .

Chris

jeffo
03-12-2005, 10:39 AM
lmao- slippery roundabouts ;D

met dane and jason up here last summer and must agree- 2 of the keenest anglers going around. hopefully a billfish this summer eh lads?

DaneCross
03-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Yes, thanks heaps fellas and thanks very much to Webby - he approached me for the article and I was only too happy to oblige. Turns out its a great article! Everyone I've spoken to about it have said its a great read. As I posted in another thread that gave it a breif mention...
I really didn't expect to gain anything from the article and wasn't expecting Webby to throw the bit in regarding the VHF. As much as I appreciate your offer (CamH) (and anyone else who has or is considering helping out), I was only aiming to raise a bit of awareness for myself, and anyone else in a similar situation to myself, who is getting out there and not allowing their disability to inhibit the way they live their lives.

For those who haven't read it, grab a copy support the mag, for those who can't, the bulk of the article Webby quoted what I wrote to him in the following pm...
I Broke my neck playing touch football for Uni (Griffith Gold Coast) in 2001 (age 21). The injury means I have no sensation or movement in my hands nor from my chest down. #
Fishing: Have been fishing since a very young age but apart from the regular trips to Moreton and Frazer (during Tailor season) never really fished seriously. Before my injury sports and outdoors took up a great deal of my life. Following the injury I turned to fishing as an opportunity to continue to pursue my love of the ocean and the outdoors. I had Reelax make me a chair specially adapted to my needs - it has a rod holder welded to the arm rest to allow me to operate the reel. This was needed as, without hand function, I'm unable to grip and hold the rod upright. To operate the reel I had a few modifications made. We went through a few different designs before coming up with the simple design that I use today which is simply a piece of dowel replacing the knob on the reel handle (see here for a better explanation + photos - http://www.danecross.com/Fishing%20Modifications.htm). #
My boat, a Quintrex Bayhunter 475, has a 50hp 4stroke Merc is well suited to my fishing habits as it is both small enough to get me up shallow creeks/banks for estury fishing and crabbing and big enough to get me across the bay and/or offshore (when the weather is right) when chasing reefies or pelagics. #
To get in/out of the boat I need to be lifted so I always need a crew of two others. My most regular crewman is JB (Jason) who caught the fishing bug around the same time as I did. He usually prepares all my rigs and baits the hooks then hands it over to me for the real part (the fish catching ).
I developed a technique for casting (which I'll have to show you when we head out) and I do my best to not let the fish get the better of me in a fight.
My target species are pretty wide and varied and changes regularly due to season and location. The summer months are usually pretty dedicated to chasing spotty mackerel in the Bay or on the close reefs off the Goldy, although, I did dabble in a bit of trolling for Marlin last season and plan to give it a better crack this season. My most successful mackerel technique has been with floating pillies as spinning for me isn't really an option due to my limited casting range and slow retrieval rate (in saying that, tearing around the Bay chasing feeding schools is one of my favourite ways to fish). As the Macks taper off I usually turn my focus to snapper and have, only this season, managed to land a few legal specimens. Lightly weighted baits in a burley trail has been the winner here on the close reefs off Southport. I also had a few attempts using plastics in the Bay but didn't have much luck. Winter also sees me out around the banks in the southern Bay chasing a feed of whiting. I quietly claim to be the king of whiting and continually kick JB's ass every time we fish for them, lol. Around September attention turns to flathead in the Jumpinpin - Broadwater areas. Trolling small bibbed minnows has accounted for the bulk of my catch, however soft plastics are quickly becoming a favourite of mine as I find it a more active method of fishing, and I love that! Only a couple of unlucky flathead have fallen to my technique but I've definitely caught the bug.
My fishing locations vary from offshore Tweed north to the Noosa River and depending on season and species, includes the Broadwater, Jumpinpin, close reefs off the Gold Coast and Jumpinpin, Moreton Bay, Maroochy River and Offshore out of Mooloolaba. #
I can't swim so safety is a priority. Weather conditions usually dictate my destination, bar crossings are only done on 'good days' and I keep my boat well serviced. I wear an automatic inflatable life jacket if things get hairy. I recently joined VMR as well - just to be on the safe side #
My gear is fairly basic, offshore I use an Okuma 'Coronado CD90' (baitfeeder) spooled with 20lb braid on a 6' Penn 'Senator' 12-15kg rod. For the 'little fellas' I use a Shakespeare 'K2 Xtreme 3000' spooled with 8lb Fireline on a 6' Shakespeare 'Intrepid' 3-6kg spin rod.

Thanks again to Webby and B'nB for publishing it [smiley=beer.gif]
Dane

Heath
03-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Certainly is a good read & just goes to show how much a sport such as fishing can add to someones life.

Good one guys! ;)

redspeckle
03-12-2005, 06:43 PM
I read the story in Bush & Beach before I seen this post on DC a great artlcle on him( DC ) done by Webby [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] in the story DC is a better fisherman than able body people I say good onya [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Now we all know who is DC Now (Dane)
Theirs a lot top fisherman on this site that write for Bush & Beach mag [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] I look up these people I like the way they put their article's arcoss [smiley=thumbup.gif] its only mag I subscribe too and even some of the other members get a guest apperance in writng a article or photo in the mag even unlucky phil got his mug shoot in with a 3kg grassy sweet lip in this months mag [smiley=thumbup.gif]
Mitch

uripper
03-12-2005, 07:28 PM
DC
Awesome - simply awesome.
You, Jason & others are an inspiration - yhnk you all.
Rip.

adriancorrea
03-12-2005, 08:16 PM
I too have had the privelege of meeting DC and crew and all I can say is
Inspirational :o :o Bloody marvellous
Well done Brian for writing the article and DC hope you get that marlin this year.

Tight Lines
Adrian

Scott15
03-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Top work Brian. very good read instead. dont act all different around us now Dane, now that your famous ok lol, keep it up mate. bring the spotties on

revs57
04-12-2005, 07:08 AM
More power to you Dane!

Cheers

Rhys

webby
04-12-2005, 11:35 AM
You told me i'd get a free ride in your wheelie chair :-X

DaneCross
04-12-2005, 11:41 AM
You told me i'd get a free ride in your wheelie chair :-X
LoL, you can have a spin Webby just make sure I'm not in it before you jump on, the missus might get jelous of you sitting in her spot :-X ;D ;D

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
04-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Keep those wheels rolling Dane and the ink flowing Webby. Will power and gut determination! - you've got both Dane, and I really admire and respect you for that.

Cheers fellas
Dave

cuzzamundi
04-12-2005, 05:33 PM
dane i cant imagine the struggle you've had since the accident, but its an absolute inspiration to see you keep up what makes your heart warm! fantastic story mate - and may the fishin times roll on for many many years! very humbling stuff mate! commendations also to your #mates who help you out - true mates! and thanks greg for bringing it to our attention - i always enjoy reading your articles in the magazine.

may your rod bend often dane!!!

cuzza

Argle
05-12-2005, 09:27 AM
What a great article! A lot of people could do with reading this story and then look at themselves a bit closer, DC what a great attidtude you have and you have some solid mates to look out for you as well. Treasure good mates because REAL true mates you can count on one hand over your lifetime.
Well done Brian on an uplifting and enjoyable article & thanks to Bush & Beach for printing it.

Cheers

szopen
05-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Very impressive and inspirational.

Reefmaster
07-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Bump
This deserves more coverage

bazzaman
07-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Great story and sounds to me as though Danes got some great mates that are willing to go outta their way to help someone enjoy what we all take for granted and thats fishn the easy way. Good mates like that dont come around too often so heres to JB and Dane for some great fishing in the furture! :) :) ;) 8-)

Cheers fellas

Shane

fritzy
07-12-2005, 10:48 PM
One word for you Dane, and one word only.
GUTSY mate. Dunno if your Australian, but i recon you are as australian as they come. GUTSY AND WILLING TO HAVE A GO. If every person in Australia (and the world for that matter) had your GUTS and DETERMINATION it would defiately be a much better place to live. You learn so much about a persons character and GUTS by how they deal with the HARDSHIPS that life deals them. So many turn up their noses (including myself very often) when the going gets tough. You have looked REAL HARDSHIP in the eye (a bit different to my petty problems), and have said "I am BETTER than you". For this, i take my hat off to you. May you continue to enjoy your fishing, and i hope someday i have the privelidge of meeting a true LIVING LEGEND like yourself.
Cheers Fritzy
Also, great stuff Jason. Mate you fellas are the DEFINITION of TRUE MATES. GOOD for you guys. Many people will never experience this.
My blood is really pumping through my veins after reading your article.

bidkev
07-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Firstly, thanks to Webby for such a great read.

Secondly, I wish I had mates such as these.

Dane, I've read this thread a couple of times and fully intended to respond but kept putting it off. Alas, I just haven't got the words to express how I feel. I am covered in goose bumps so I'll just leave it at that.

Good on yer mate.

kev

DaneCross
08-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Geez fellas, thank you all for your heart-felt replies, I appreciate it immensely [smiley=blush.gif] [smiley=blush.gif] To have people, most of you complete strangers, openly give such great compliments is a real boost for me (I'll try to not let my head get too big ;))

Fritzy I think you're on the money there with a few of your comments...

I recon you are as australian as they come. GUTSY AND WILLING TO HAVE A GO...

You learn so much about a persons character and GUTS by how they deal with the HARDSHIPS that life deals them. So many turn up their noses (including myself very often) when the going gets tough. You have looked REAL HARDSHIP in the eye (a bit different to my petty problems), and have said "I am BETTER than you"...

Also, great stuff Jason. Mate you fellas are the DEFINITION of TRUE MATES. GOOD for you guys. Many people will never experience this.

It's true I am willing to have a go and in doing so, I hope to firstly, encourage others in a similar situation to also 'have a go' and secondly, perhaps change some peoples views of people with a disability and to show that with a little extra effort we too can enjoy the same things other able-bodied people do.
But, as you say at the end there, I have a great bunch of mates, a fantastic family and a very supportive fiancee and without them and their help a lot of things, not just fishing, would be out-of-reach and I can't thank them enough for that.

Thanks again,
Dane

blaze
08-12-2005, 10:21 AM
I suppose at the end of the day DC its all about give and take, we all take but to be a better person we need to give ourselves freely.
you are a champion at this
cheers
blaze