PDA

View Full Version : tide times near the Pin

first_mate
07-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Looking for advice on tide difference near near The Bedrooms.

The Tide Guide says that Cabbage Tree Point is +35 mins compared to the Brisbane Bar, and Jacobs Well (5 minutes away) is +15minutes. Ocean side of the Pin is -1.30 compared to the Bar.

If I want to fish near The Bedrooms, or pump yabbies on the bank between Whalley's Gutter and Pandanus Island, I am keen to know when high tide is? Does anyone know what the tide comparison is about that point?

Thanks - Angus

bungie
07-12-2005, 10:22 PM
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/tidinfo.nsf/files/images/$file/semidiurnal_tidal_planes_2003.pdf

;D

Touchy - R.I.P.
08-12-2005, 05:57 AM
The bedrooms are not enough diff from the Bris bar reading to worry abot high is +0. 02mins & low is -0. 01mins Touchy.><>

seatime
08-12-2005, 06:38 AM
why not work off the jumpinpin(ocean) -1:30 time diff as the bedrooms are closest to that location aren't they.
turn up at your selected spot soon after the turn of tide outside the pin bar then judge your own time diff for your spot, it wont be too long after the jumpinpin(outside) time.
you can also work out the time of slack water then, just make a note in your tide guide.

first_mate
08-12-2005, 08:16 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses
Bungie - that is a great reference guide - thanks for that

Angus

:D :D

gogecko
08-12-2005, 10:52 AM
I can tell you that (for any mark in the broadwater/inside the pin) low water mark is about 1 hr after what the official guides tell you.

A old guy explained it to me like this ;
low tide is actually when the guide says it it, but the low water mark is an hour later because you have such a build up of water from the rivers trying to escape out of a little funnel that is the bar.

I add an hour to those dept of transport times for Paradise Pt, and Coomera, and I even add an hour to the Southport seaway time when I fish right in the seaway.

seatime
08-12-2005, 06:04 PM
gogecko, i think ur talking about when the tide actually stops running in one direction to go the other way. this will be slack water.
the turn of the tide and slack water don't always coincide, if u have an inland water system behind the coast the tide could still be running hours after it has turned eg. in brissy the the tide turns 38 mins later at the port office (which is up in the city) than at the bris bar, this is the vertical movement of water, but the tide stops running about 2 hrs after the bris bar, this is horizontal movement of water.
as u say it is the effect of the run off from rivers etc.
u will find that it may only be the top half a metre of water that is running offf, while underneath the water is rising or falling.
another good eg is pt philip heads, slack water is about 4 hours after turn of tide, due to the bay and rivers and the bottle neck at the rip. hope this makes it clear as the yarra. steve

Dignity
08-12-2005, 07:42 PM
I'm with Touchy - often camped just south of tipplers only and the low tide always coincided with the Brisbane Bar giver or take about 5 mins. #Notice on the tables that Pimpama River is an close to an hour later, not while I've fished there.

what gelsec is trying to say is that while the water on top looks like it is still running out the water underneath is actually already running in. #

Cheers Sam

seatime
08-12-2005, 08:41 PM
sorry, I think I had a bad ice cube!