PDA

View Full Version : How To Identify types of fish?

stork71
09-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Being new to the whole boating/fishing seen i'm keen to know what people use to identiy types of fish.. Even the experienced guys i go out with seem to be a bit unsure sometimes as to exactly what species they've caught. I've seen the laminated card type (fil-o-fish i think) but i don't think they are printed anymore..What else do you guys use?..I'm not prepaired to run the gauntlet with the fisho's around..

Owen
09-12-2005, 10:48 PM
I have a small booklet in my tackle box called The Australian Fisherman's Companion. It's not laminated, so you have to be careful about water. Picked it up at a QBD book store within the last twelve months, so they are around. #You have to be careful though as some fish have the same common name in different areas.
The thing I like is that it's broken down by the shape of the tail rather than alphabetically, so you don't have to know the name to find what's flapping around in your boat #;D

The ISBN is 186436768-7

You could also have a look at
http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/specomm.htm

cheers,
Owen

Zeeke
09-12-2005, 10:55 PM
What i use to identify fish is called a Book.. its a magickal thing with pretty pictures and words and when they are all put together it puts together a discription on fish species... and if you get a good book.. you might learn something

Tim

timbacutta
10-12-2005, 12:24 AM
Contact your local department of fisheries, they should have a free booklet that identifies the different spieces. Qld fisheries have an excellent one that I picked up at the tackle and tinnie show for free earlier this here. Hope this helps you out. Happy fishing and boating.

Jeff :) :)

roz
10-12-2005, 12:22 PM
The best reference book around is 'Grant's fishes of Australia'.

It's NOT a practical thing for the boat, but it covers everything you would need to know... edibility, distribution, latin and common names etc.

Would cost a bit, but well worth the money, as it would last a life time.

Roz

dfox
10-12-2005, 12:35 PM
You beat me to it roz, get yourself a grants guide to fishes for christmas (the fishermans bible) I know granty and the work, research and effort he has put into this book over a lifetime is worth every cent. Nothing is written without being thoroughly researched, and he takes great pride in presenting quality pics.He also lets you know the eating qualities of many of the species, size and wieght they grow to and sometimes a personal story about his experiences.
For out on the water the free fisheries booklet is the go!...foxy

wiseguy67
10-12-2005, 02:18 PM
check used book shops as i picked up a well used but still good Grants Guide to fishes for $10 ;D
there are other good books but grants is a good one for at home as its huge.

bevnarch
10-12-2005, 08:57 PM
well done wise , i looked in all the second hand bookshop in my area and got zilch,, ended up paying $100.00 for a new one and its worth every cent...arch

ps also have rudie kuiters book Guide to sea fishes so between them i think ive got it covered

clutter
10-12-2005, 10:43 PM
As others have said, can't go past the Bible, Grant's Guide to Fishes by Ern Grant. Best reference going around for Queensland anyway.

Clutter

banshee
10-12-2005, 11:04 PM
I've got the fully waterproof version of Grants printed on plastic paper,bit cumbersome in the boat but won't get damaged,but as Zeeke said look at it enough times and you soon get a rough idea of what is what.

mate
11-12-2005, 08:50 PM
A fishing book or have some one you knows about different fish :D :P

bidkev
11-12-2005, 11:16 PM
As has been said by others, "Grants is the Bible" I have it in the boat at all times and it never comes out. I'd hate to have the DPI pick me up 'cause I'd not identoified a fish correctly. Apart from that....it says catfish are good eating so it's got to be worth the money ;D

Another good publication which is colour illustrated and gives locations and methods of fish capture is the AFN Australian fish Guide. Easy to follow as the fish are split into sections such as reef/pelagic/shark,ray/estuary,surf etc

kev

wewak1111
12-12-2005, 07:33 AM
Yep, ya gotta have a Grants, but I'm pretty sure the little chart thingies come up from time to time in the tackle shops...just ask 'em

Louis
12-12-2005, 11:39 AM
G'day Stork71,

Always good to welcome a new member to Ausfish and the wonderfull world of fishing in general.

To reinterate what has already been stated:

Ring the DPI and they can send you some free booklets etc of fishes and their size and or bag limits applying to them.

Also "Grants Guide to Fishes" is the Fisherman's Bible. Currently retails for about $115. You name the fish and it will sure be in there.

Also, as Kingtin noted, it gives apprasals as to the eating qualities of fish. And I agree with Kev and Earnie Grant that Fork-tailed catfish do make good eating.

It also pays to keep the DPI's phone number handy when fishing so if in doubt of something you can give them a quick ring to verify.

Believe me when I tell you that it is very frustrating to have to throw something back as you can't recall the new size limit only to find out when you get home that you could have kept it after-all.

Hope this helps

Louis