PDA

View Full Version : Live Life to the Full People - Do it & Do it now!!

bigmack
09-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Hi Everyone - one of my fishing buddies has just been told that his 28 year old son has bone cancer. Weve been on numerous charters together and the first day of the Gabba test pretty much each year. You know - the sort of things mates do. Gary always tells us about fishing with his son - just down at the river mucking about catching a few bream or tailor - whatever!

I was talking to his son the other day about some property and stuff and we were moaning about getting old (me), doing physical stuff, landscaping and doing your own hard work around the yard etc. 28 is way too young - We laughed about old footy injuries and crook backs etc and "Josh" was complaining in a lighthearted way about his hips and back and that he would have a limited life span as a Landscape gardener. Well he just had a scan and has bone cancer in the hip and tail bone I think. Not sure of the prognosis, but not good I would say

So - never take life for granted, live it to the max people, enjoy yourselves, look at the good stuff, ignore tha bad stuff if you can, rejoice everytime your on the water and sharing magic moments.

All the Best today to All of You & Good Health
Rgds
Phill

fish2eat
09-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Good advice at any age!!!!! you never know when the grim reaper will come for YOU.

Female friend of our recently collapsed with a stroke at the campground amenities block.....otherwise slim fit and healthy

Live every day like its your last, one day it will be.....just one more cast

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
09-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Very sad to hear of your friend's plight Phill. The fishing trips etc together will be even more precious now as Gary perhaps leans on you for support and comfort. When you sometimes wonder if you're strong enough for him, remember all of us here who will be with you in our thoughts.

Cheers
Dave

Volvo
09-12-2005, 11:31 AM
So sad to hear also Phil, and wise words of wisdom ya pass along.
My old man used ta say
"work ta live, dont live ta work"
And take note of whats around you and what makes ya laugh or smile:)...
Cheers mate...

theoldlegend
09-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Very sad story Phill,

Just makes you realise how lucky we are to somehow make it through to old age without anything happening to us at a young age.

Made me think of a mate of mine whose wife late last year had a very aggressive cancer and was gone in about three months. What made it worse was that they have three children under the age of five.

His work place pitched in and he's now working a 5 day fortnight to help him somehow cope.

All you can do is offer support to this young guy and his family and who knows, there might be something down the track that may help overcome this hurdle. Hang in there.

Regards,

John Miller
TOL

fishomatic
09-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Be there for him when he needs you mate.
Matt

mackmauler
09-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Lets be positive, a great reason to go fishing more often ;D

MIKOS
09-12-2005, 03:21 PM
True maccie true ;)

Similar to the poor woman who i just heard about driving from toowoomba in the storm yesterday when a freak branch smached through her windscreen and killed her.Like everyone is saying live life to the full.

It is also good to see the christmas spirit from everyone on this site as well.

I puts befeif that there are good people out there. :)

Well done guys ;)

Cheers

MIKOS

Freeeedom
09-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Let's all hope that the medicos can do something for him. What they can do is quite amazing. and is improving every day. A friend of mine was diagnosed with bone cancer in her upper arm. The surgeon cut away most of the humerus where the cancer was, and then took bone from her hips and used it to rebuild the arm bone. Today she is going strong with no sign of the cancer - fingers crossed. Totally agree with the sentiments expressed so far. Don't end your life thinking I wish I'd done this or that - do it now. and get your mates to help you achieve it. That's what mates are for and what being a mate means- and we'll all be better mates for the experience.
Cheers Freeeedom

roz
09-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Lets be positive, a great reason to go fishing more often ;D

that sort of new can break your heart.

But never give up hope.

Roz

Dug
09-12-2005, 05:54 PM
No one gets out of here alive.

Give up, give in and enjoy the ride I want to go to my grave yelling

Whoppee!!! WOW that was great!

It is still sad for those who are left behind. That is the real shame of it.

theoldlegend
09-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Just another one, if you don't mind. Hopefully this might help you to take a positive spin on things.

A very good friend of mine, Anna, was diagnosed with breast cancer some time ago, and it was a very aggressive cancer. She was very positive about things and chemotherapy treatment etc, and luckily for Anna, she's over the chemo and is now having radium treatment. It turns out that if she had let it go a bit longer after finding it, then it could have been very bad.

Her hair fell out and all that stuff, and she's aged, but she's still alive. The best thing for me is that as a very good friend who's alive, she's still in there and putting unbelieveable sh??t on me, which means that she's getting better.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that no matter how things look, please and take a positive outlook, and you never know what might happen. The thing I hate about the bitch is that she offered to show me where the problem was and I was so upset I declined the offer.

Ah well, such is life, as Ned Kelly said before he went to the gallows.

TOL

revs57
09-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Its amazing where moments of clarity about the really important things usuall come in the face of the tough things...Its too easy to coast along in life...same old same old...mediocrity is the devil!!!

I'm always reminded to take time to smell the roses...hug a tree occasionally (yuk) make time for family and good friends...I'm sure lucky they enjoy my passion for fishing and boating...I give thanks every day...

Life can be too short...thanks for the reminder Phill...pass our best regards to your friend and his son...

cheers

rhys

bidkev
09-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Phil, I'm sure you will be there for Gary and Josh when they need you.

It's times like these that make you feel so small, powerless and insignificant in the realm of things but this is also the time when the insignifcance can be disproved and one can make some huge impression on a situation. The time when man's humanity can shine through. We may be powerless to resolve the illness but we are almighty when it comes to turning these very sad situations into moments of triumph. The cancer may well run it's wicked course, but in so doing, it will bring out the best in those that it affects.

There have been some very real advances in the way that cancer is treated of late, and hopefully the prognosis may not be as bad as feared.

Here's wishing and hoping that this is true and my thoughts are with you, Gary, Josh, and all those who are affected by this terrible disease. Be strong for them

cheers

kev

szopen
09-12-2005, 07:42 PM
The things I want to say:

It is never too late to enjoy life (never too early either).

Sad fact of life is that sh!t happens.

Best part of life is that we can deal with it.

People say: where there is life there is hope.

Simple but true, sh!t happens but lucky breaks happen as well sometimes in the circumstances you would least expect them to.

Phil,

Make sure your friends do not loose hope.

Lady Luck can knock on your doors at any time.

Louis
12-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Life is so short unfortunately

And so many people get caught up in the trivialities of life instead of looking at the Big Picture.

Hearing of sad occurrences as these are always a sobering reality check.

If you have food in your stomach and a roof over your head and good health both mental and physical then ever day above ground is a good day.

Live every day as if it was your last and enjoy life

Louis

PinHead
12-12-2005, 05:13 PM
scary thing that bone cancer..unfortuantely it is always a secondary cancer..the hard part is finding and disposing of the primary cancer..best wishes to him..hoepfully it will be ok

bigmack
13-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi Everyone - thanks for all the replies and better news stories of your friends etc.

We havnt heard the prognosis yet and instead of deluging gary & Family with phone calls etc - we have just kept quietly on the sideline and passed on our positive energy through close friend.

rgds
Phill