PDA

View Full Version : It's How You Play The Game

bidkev
06-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Just got back from year 7 graduation. Presentations flew by and nothing for my kids despite me knowing that one of the foster kids was heavily into sport. Best Soccer player..nothing...best athletics...nothing.....best cricket.....nothing.....best rugby......nothing. This kid is so into sport it's untrue. ................Outstanding sportsman of the year............he got it!!!! [smiley=laola.gif] Award presented by David Stagg of the Broncos [smiley=dankk2.gif]

This kid has so much baggage it's untrue and yet he shone through [smiley=laola.gif]

What's this got to do with fishing? Probably nothing except it's all about how you play the game. He wasn't the outstanding footy player, cricket player, or soccer player, but he gave all of them his best shot, despite the baggage he's carrying.

What made the night even more special was that my autistic boy who normally hates social events, (noise etc) stayed behind to engage in the disco because Ben (his friend from special ed, who "has a problem" ;D) wanted to stay behind but might not manage without him :D

I love 'em both despite their huge differences in ability and that relates to this site.

There are those that "score" and there are those that struggle to score. What unites us is the game of *trying* to score. I loves you all...........just as I love them.

cheers

a happy kev just wanting to share.

dasher
06-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Cheers Kev, a huge pumping chest for you and yours mate. [smiley=cool.gif] Congratulations to all mate. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Sportfish_5
06-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Good stuff Kev - my wife is a special ed teacher so I can appreciate your story.

Cheers

Greg

2DKnBJ
06-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Kev
More often than not you hear about the failures of kids in foster families but reading your posts since i joined it seems that you can do wonders with the kids you take in.To take on one of these kids who has probably been through all kinds of sh!T and make them believe in themself and do the best they can is a champion effort.
Here's cheers to you and your wife.
Cheers Dazza

Touchy - R.I.P.
07-12-2005, 07:51 AM
Ok Kevvie, dont hold back, just tell us how you really feel *GRIN*, The gist of your message shines thru' loud n clear, Making it a good start to my day anyway Thanks. Touchy><>

MIKOS
07-12-2005, 08:05 AM
Congrats Kingtin,

Kids are great,especially when there young and even knowing some of them carry a lot of problems they seem to take it in there stride.Something that we adults can observe to remind us that it can be that easy.They are lucky to have some one like yourself to learn from and make them laugh ;Dand especially take them fishing which for me I know i can be miles away from everything. ;)

cheers

MIKOS

poss
07-12-2005, 08:40 AM
Kev.
# #Just did a crap nightshift got home and fired the computer up just happened to read your story no wonder the kids get insiration made me feel good,great stuff.

Paul

Billo
07-12-2005, 09:45 AM
AWHHHHH...touchy Feely Kev .

I hear you though ....something like that would make all your own personal issues dismal in comparison , and make you wonder why you get so absolved in the day to day sh!^e
It's great to see , and yep , a good wake up call to say 'enjoy what you have'...nothing is more important then support of a family and friends and being able to enjoy what you can when you can !

nice one Kev ! 8-)

bigmack
07-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Kingtin - thank you for the story. Yes it makes you wonder what some parents think or why they behave like that; perhaps from their own upbringing and role modelling that was set for them.

As I said before in the "what touched you from a fishing point of view" it was every minute that my parents or grandparents spent with me patiently to teach me how to catch a fish.

I wrote down a note to myself the other day to spend more time with my daughter and the kids next door, teaching them to play backyard cricket, and totem tennis and kicking the ball around and all that stuff that sometimes we get "to busy " for.

Congratulations - may it be the first of many rewards for all your hard work

Cheers
Phill

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
07-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Well you got me Kev. A bloody lump in my throat that I just cannot swallow, try as I might!
Your family....all of them, are very, very lucky to have you and of course Bridget. So is Ausfish, and personally, I always feel richer after reading your wonderful contributions.

I tips me lid to you "Father Kev"

Cheers
Dave

blaze
07-12-2005, 11:22 AM
what more can be said
cheers
blaze

Lone_Wolf
07-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Congrats to you and yours Kev, memorable moment for sure. Your kids can count their lucky stars that they have parents like you that give them every chance to enjoy all life has to offer, especially in the boat too hey ;) Look forward to your next post, always great to read #

szopen
07-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Kev,

Congratulations.
Just one more reason to be proud of how you live your life.

westie
07-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Here Here to all the above, onya kev and congrads to ALL the " Give It A Goers" out there.

Vic1
07-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Having a crap day until I read the post......may me feel a litlle better about the world. Good on you and your kids ;D

rando
07-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Great post kevvy,,, tears to my eyes
Good on you and your family and all the best for the festive season :) :) :) :)
rando

Roo
07-12-2005, 05:59 PM
well said.
:)
roo

yockman
07-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Ripper story there kingtin.

Being a humble teacher, I can tell you that a lot of thought goes into who gets the type of award your son got. "Best player" awards are easy - they just go to whoever kicked most goals, won most races, etc. Your son's award is the one that really counts.

Congrats to you and please pass on mine to him too, you've both earned the award together

Cheers,
Yockman

cuzzamundi
07-12-2005, 09:11 PM
bloody oath kev! great story!

cuzza

major-defect
07-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Your a champ as well as the kids kev.

Owen
08-12-2005, 07:19 AM
Bloody good story Kev :D

Will you adopt me?
I don't eat much and I can bait my own hooks ;D

But then;
I'm not very neat
I might drink all your beer
I don't like mowing the lawn

Looks like the missus is stuck with me ;D

cheers

Owen

GBC
08-12-2005, 07:27 AM
Sitting at work with a tear in my eye. I'm proud of you and yours even though I've never shook your hand.
Merry Christmas.
C.J.

al_neibling
08-12-2005, 08:12 AM
Just goes to show that you and yours know what the important things are in life, I really hope one day I have the honor of meeting you all.

Like everyone else has said great post, put a teary smile on my dial!!

[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Al

bidkev
08-12-2005, 12:17 PM
<snip>

There are those that "score" and there are those that struggle to score. What unites us is the game of *trying* to score. #I loves you all...........just as I love them.

Bloody hell! Did *I* say that? :o :o ::) The celebratory drinks must have been well and truly flowing ;D

Seriously, thank you all for your kind and touching replies. If you ever doubt that you have a warm heart, then remember that you took the time to respond to a "touchy feely" post. A certain ex Labour PM would be proud of you ;D

The credit must go to the boy though, who, despite his trauma, has done his very best not to feel bitter about the hand that life dealt him. He could have, (as I have done at times), given up on the challenges that faced him and simply dwelt on his misfortune and become absorbed in self-pity.

It's very sad fact that Xmas time is a time when many kids are taken into care (due to the extra grog flowing) or given up for care. Yes, some parents do put their kids into voluntary care at Xmas either because they know their kids would have a better Xmas with a carer than with them, or that they themselves would have a better time *without* their kids. The only thing that we can do is to put our prejudices aside, and focus on the kid.

It's a sad fact that many kids *never* recover from abuse but if we dwelt on that, life would be pretty miserable :'(

Without losing sight of that fact, whilst at the same time not letting it detract from the success stories, let's, at Xmas time, raise a glass to kids and their courage and resilience. [smiley=laola.gif]

Cheers!

kev

MIKOS
08-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Well said kev,

I raise my glass ;)

Mike :)

Wear_the_fox_hat
08-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Kev,
Friend of mine (male nurse) made a point in conversation that a lot of people don't appreciate how lucky they are that their children can walk & talk without impairment & live a normal life, especially when he sees how they are sometimes spoken to/treated by their parents when they come to hospital. Some are also in a neglected state which annoys him no end, as while the parents don't appear to be well off, mum or dad can still afford to smoke & drink at will.

Any children in your care are very fortunate.

Congratulations to the newly crowned "Outstanding sportsman of the year" & to yourself & your family for your efforts.

Regards,
WTFH

Darryl
09-12-2005, 06:23 AM
Onya kev, i just had my daughter graduate from year 7 yesterday and it was a sad but happy thing just in it's self. She was school captain and was very popular and she used to spend most of her lunches taking the time to spend it with the autistic kids.

She won a few awards for the year such as literacy etc so i know exactly how and what your saying. Remember Kev, it's a credit to YOU as well as the child so give yourself a pat on the back.

Darryl.

theoldlegend
09-12-2005, 06:52 AM
Great story Kev!!

I know some people who have foster kids and believe me, it's not easy. Some of the children have disabilities and their special needs have to be met. I guess after a while, if we're lucky as parents, our kids grow up into well adjusted young adults and life goes on. We then seem to retreat into our own little worlds where everything is comfy and rosy. In conversation with our friends, we tend to say things like "Mary's doing well, she's studying rocket science at Uni, or Johnny's got a job that pays $200K a year". As I said, if we're lucky.

People like you and your wife who take on these enormous burdens (and believe me, they are enormous) are to be admired for the work you put in and should be given an award or something. Although, from your post, you've already been rewarded in another way.

Thank you for a very heart warming story.

Regards,

TOL

al_neibling
09-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Kev,

Just had re-read of your post it was just so good, I hope you are reading all the congrats to your son I am sure it would make him feel like a real celeb!! He is blessed to have the support that you guys are giving to him and it sounds like he is going to have a very bright future what ever he chooses to do.

As for the score thing I am a bit confused I think my hubby trys to *score* and from past experience I think I am a goal keeper in life the more he trys to *score* the more I try to think of ways to stop him!!! LOL

Sorry, found that one to hard to resist (was laughing to myself and just had to share!)

Gotta love ya kids Kev they will be the ones that decide how good our futures are!

Al

revs57
09-12-2005, 07:39 PM
You've heard me say it before mate...you're a sage...a wise man will always pour himself into the future and you've done that with your kids...first the Martial Arts, now Sportsman of the year...living testimoney to the efforts that you and Brigette have made to make the world a better place for your kids

Congratulations and pass our congratulations on to the young fella

Cheers

rhys

88fishframe
09-12-2005, 07:49 PM
If you've got a Christmas message planned for us all, it's going to have to be a good one to top this story. Good on you mate !!! :D

HarryO
12-12-2005, 02:11 PM
:'( :'( :'(

G'day Kev....

Thank you for sharing that....

Its always great to see kids shining through adversity,
they can really teach us all a thing or two.

Mate, you've earned a spot on the protected species list. ;)

Harry.

Dug
12-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Congratulations!

I am not a sports fan, I have seen to many of the win at any cost, second place is for losers style of sports fanatics.

I think you have found the old and true meaning of sportsmanship

"it matters not if you win or loose, it's how you play the game"

Well done to all concerned and well played young man.

freddyfish
13-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Kev, Congratulations to you and your young fella

You are making a massive difference in those kids lives. #Not many people around as dedicated as you. Like a lot of the other guys I also look forward to reading your posts.

All the best for the season

Brad