PDA

View Full Version : Need Help how to cook...?

dontknow
04-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Hi I have just found this site. And need HELP. My husband has been given Red empera fish and Shark. What is the best way to cook them. They have been snapped frozen. Please need suggestions. As we wouldn't have a clue. :-?

dorado
04-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Not too sure about those 2 fish but there's some great stuff here: http://www.ausfish.com.au/recipes/index.htm

Cheers :)

land-lubber
04-12-2005, 12:49 PM
For shark the best way i have found is to cut up the flesh into 'fishfinger' sized pieces, dip them in beaten egg, roll in breadcrumbs and fry in good olive oil.
After uve defrosyed it of course ;)
cheers

familyman
04-12-2005, 05:33 PM
A very simple and light batter is just self raising flour and COLD soda water mixed to the consistancy of unthickened fresh cream.As above cut into cocktail sized pieces,dry with paper towel and roll in flour then batter.
Or you could cut them up into fillets (slabs about the size and thickness of a mans hand),rub butter on some foil ,put slice of lemon and more butter on fillet then wrap in foil,grille on high for about 5-7mins per side.
I'm drooling just thinking about it ;D
cheers jon

dontknow
04-12-2005, 08:36 PM
familyman - I'm drooling just think of your way to cook shark.
anymore suggestion from anyone.. ;D

blaze
04-12-2005, 08:41 PM
I was wonder what I could snack on before I read this, now I am just plain hungrey, had a nice fillet of shark an hour ago in batter with a few chips.
cheers
blaze

Punkin
05-12-2005, 04:33 AM
Cut the shark into thin slices about 10mm thick and the size of a fish cocktail.

Toss shark in a bag of plain flour that has been seasoned with plenty of salt and pepper, bita oil on the barbie and cook till ready. Simple and tasty.

The best thing about shark is the way it holds together without breaking up. So you can use it in curries, sweetandsour etc.
My first choice for chilli garlic seafood kebabs.

Cop into 1cm cubes, do the same with a handfull of green prawns, and some squid. Add whatever other seafood looks good, a tablespoon of garlic some cracked pepper and a teaspoon (or more) of chilli (fresh or bottled). Whack some olive oil in a press seal bag and marinade for a couplea hours. Toss it on the barbie till cooked, then wrap in some light toasted burrito bread.....
Sweet chillisauce and a side salad :'(

major-defect
05-12-2005, 04:37 AM
I advise you eat the shark before the red emporer cause if you eat the emporer first you won,t want the shark.

Panda
05-12-2005, 04:58 AM
What species of shark is good eating?

juicyfruit
05-12-2005, 07:57 AM
BBQ the red......in alfoil…. with a dollop of butter…..don't over cook........add nothing.......nice fish all on its own……if ya have to add anything, make it a light flavouring so not to over power the fish…..eg lemon, parsley, pepper

Fry the shark, (if in fillets) which has been coated with a beer batter (SR Flour, egg and fresh beer.....make a small amount of batter, or open too many beers so as to drink the surplus beer).

And follow major-defect advice

Also if possible, taste both, at sometime when they haven't been frozen before hand, amazing the difference.

“What species of shark is good eating?” I see ya ask, personally anyone that don’t eat u first I say……but I believe that Kingtin is the shark expert on this site?????

Always_offshore
05-12-2005, 09:01 AM
cut the shark ito 10-15 cm squares,marinate in white wine,olive oil and atouch of vinegar,throw in a few pepperconns.Take fish out of the marinadeand lay on alfoil,now pour a can of cocnut cream over the top,add a little chilli.Seal the alfoil and put on the barbie.Cook till the sauce thickens[about 15mins each side] serve with steamed veges-----------enjoy!!!!

bidkev
05-12-2005, 09:30 AM
What species of shark is good eating?

Not really shark, but shovelnose isn't as strong in flavour as some shark can be.

I've seen a few sharks called "gummies" by their captors, but I believe many of these to be blind shark and they can be quite prolific around Mud and Chain Bank. These are the ideal size at between 3 and 6 kilo and one of the few that can't be recognised (flavour-wise) for what they are.

FWIW, I saw a doco once about a group of islanders who's total life support system was based on catching shark. It was their staple diet and the doco was investigating their health. Their life span was significantly lower than Islander races of similar culture who didn't rely on sharks as a food source. The conclusion was that as the shark had been pulled from relatively "clean" waters, then this proved that shark had extensive roaming habits and had picked up the mercury elsewhere in their travels.

As we were, at that time, eating a fair amount of shark, I rang the DPI for info and they told me that there was no Australian regualtions governing the size of shark, but there was a reccomendation in one of their publications that *advised* pro fisherman to only land shark under 4ft and to the best of their knowledge, this was generally adhered to. Don't know if this is still current though? This seems flawed to me because one species of (longer living) small species of shark may well have been alive longer than a larger (shorter living) shark and may therefore have absorbed more mercury than it's bigger counterpart.

I also asked about the likelihood of us (humans) accumulating mercury and they advised me that for that to happen I would have to eat fiish at leat 3 times a week for a vey extended period of my life.

Back to topic ;D A recipe that I "concocted" for a quickie meal. Mix a liberal amount of HP (brown) sauce with a tin of chopped Tomato and pour over flake in a microwave dish. Sprinkle largely sliced onion on top and microwave. The deckie says it's wonderful but I have yet to try it........then again :o :o the deckie thinks sting ray is wonderful :o ::) ;D The next step is to try this in a baking dish in the oven, as the smell of microwaving puts me right off.

cheers

kev

dontknow
05-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Hi thankyou guys you are being so helpful. If the choice was left to hubby he would take your suggestion Juicefruit. Any excuse to drink more.. ;D

If it was left up to me I would take Punkin's marinated suggestion.
We won't be cooking these until the weekend or week after. #We got them off a friend's brother who works on the trollers (bad speller).

Thank you again

bidkev
05-12-2005, 11:43 AM
<snip>

but I believe that Kingtin is the shark expert on this site?????

Nah! That's Rob (mackmauler). He even catches 'em on bibbed lures ;D

juicyfruit
09-12-2005, 11:57 AM
<snip>

but I believe that Kingtin is the shark expert on this site?????

Nah! That's Rob (mackmauler). He even catches 'em on bibbed lures ;D

Cheers Kingtin for direction and the pic....personally avoid looking at any shark pics, but good pic just the same..

Juicy

Volvo
09-12-2005, 12:59 PM
dontknow,
whatever ya do dont spoil the Red Emperor...Do the Shark whichever way you want but the Red!!!!!! either bake in a webber in foil, spices n some vegies in the gut or!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i say or again Or :)
Fillet the sides, keep the head n wings fer psarrosoupa(Fishead Soup) and cut the fillets to size ya comfy eating.
Either roll in plain flour and fry in clean vegy/canola oil, not leaving in oil too long..
Breadcrumb...break n egg or two in bowl along with a smidgeon of milk, beat till both combine, roll fillets in plain flour, Followed egg mixture, then breadcrumbes n deep fry in oil.....:).....Or
Get ahold of some Mcormicks Tampouri (fecked if i know if i spelt that correctly??)Batter mix(really nice stuff this is), mix yerself some batter , roll the fillets in plain flour, batter mix n deep fry....
Again!!! dont fry too long, this is one of the top eating species of fish in my camp..
If you dont want to add the wings into the psarrosoupa brew then skin n clean em up a tad and deep fry them also..Make a mean entree or addition to the fillets...
As for the psarrosoupa(Fishead Soup)?? if it freaks ya out , find a Greek and he/she will be a long time friend after accepting the Red Head of ya....
Red head ::) ;D, like that ey:)..
Garry(pumkin) must give yer method fer shark in the chillie method a try mate..
PS if ya cut the fillets too thick they end a tad raw in the middle as most fillets do if too thick..

roz
09-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Pete,

Give them your basting recipe

Roz

Volvo
09-12-2005, 06:13 PM
Shyte Roz, how could i have fegotten the Oregano sauce?? Must be Alzeimers or is it oldtimers settin in:)??..
Baked or Grilled Fish should never be eaten without a good basting of oregano sauce during and after its cooking:)..
Halfe a cup of Olive Oil
Near the same amount of Lemon
Good tablespoon of ground oregano leaves in and beat like shyte till contents emulsify(go white).
Brush/baste over the fish , both sides halfeay through its cooking stage and then pour some of this over the fish JUST prior to eating..
Dont think ive fergotten anything have i??..
Cheers n Kalli Oreksi....

roz
09-12-2005, 08:38 PM
That sauce is a master piece Pete, everyone...give it a run you won't be sorry.

roz

revs57
10-12-2005, 06:39 AM
"Mary Mac's" (a batter brand at the Supermarket) is the best batter mix around for deep fried fillets IMO if you go that way...use beer instead of water...keeps the batter very light..and gives hubby that excuse to buy another slab, keeps everyone happy

Welcome to the world of Ausfish dontknow...as you can see lots of friendly people willing to help with great ideas about all aspects of our sport

Cheers

Rhys

steve_n
10-12-2005, 07:10 AM
Best beer batter is just half plain flour, half SR flour, a good pinch of salt and mix with enough beer to make sure you still get a drink out of the stubbie. If needed top up with another stubbie while mixing into a thick batter making sure ther is plenty left to drink in the second stubbie.
The batter has to sit in the fridge for about 3-4 stubbies then dip fillets of shark (gummy is best) into the batter and deep fry until golden brown in HOT oil while having a stubbie.
Serve with chips. salad a slice of lemon and a beer.
Best feed yet.
Steve

Volvo
10-12-2005, 07:24 AM
So many varieties to batter:)..Main thing is it ends up just a wee bit crispy and tastes right to the consumer..
As fer sharks?? ask anyone from the good old WA and they will tell you the old wobbygong or carpet shark is the pick o the crop for chewin on..
Personally couple sweetlip battered fillets drowned in lemon juice beats any ole shark anyole day:)...

Fishin_Dan
10-12-2005, 07:49 AM
A really good tip if you're using breadcrumbs is to mix a little bit of parmesan cheese through the breadcrumbs. Then dip in the egg, roll in flour, dip in egg, roll in flour, dip in egg, roll in flour, dip in egg, roll in breadcrumbs/cheese.

This allows the flour & egg to build up to give you a very nice base for the breadcrumbs to adhere to. And the parmesan melted through the breadcrumbs adds an extra nice taste. Place straight into a hot pan with a small amount of good olive oil in it. You don't want to deep fry it, just cook it...

Have had a few fillets this way, and damn! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Dug
10-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Red emperor under the griller with a good dob of BUTTER not margarine. and grill lightly.

Shark marinate in 50% water 50% white vinegar in a large bowl overnight this gets the crud out of the flesh and leaves white fillets.

I like to cook it in Green ginger wine, Lime juice and coconut milk.

Just simmer in a pan and serve.

Dam I miss eating fish sometimes :(

kingkev
14-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Cut thick fillets of shark......sprinkle with salt and pepper. Nail it to a wooden board ans put in oven at 300degrees for 25 minutes.

Take out of oven discard the cremated fish and eat the wooden board. YUM

only joking

Beer batter and lemon is maybe tastier