PDA

View Full Version : jet ski"s

Seahorse
05-12-2005, 08:44 PM
i can understand why people get hurt om jet skis and very surprised there are not heaps more, went to pin on sunday. hundreds of boats everywhere, and amongst them all were dozens of jet skies, just flat out, fling in and out of boats. real good when your fishing and they fly past you doing 100mph and just got no consideration. these idiots have no consideration and they are always in packs. think i beteer get a few big sinkers ready. they should put them all in a special area. somewhere in some small dam where there are no fish. they really piss me off. anyone else like them as much as me.

ssbayguide
06-12-2005, 08:34 AM
G'Day Seahorse

Hate them to death - even seeing them in a river puts me off launching my boat.

They have that disease That I think is called attention-seeking deficit disorder.

My worst experience was when fishing a beach north of Townsville with a mate. We were approximately 2kms from the moth of the nearest river when we heard that familiar sound. With literally miles of water to play in, what does he do - of course he puts on a little show in front of us.

You can normally pick them at the boat ramp, even if they don't have the Personal ###### Craft in tow. Bright coloured utes with all accessories that will never be used. They park on, or (if you are lucky) right next to the ramp with the doors open and the stero pumping.

In maing the above comments, I also applaud the use of Jet Ski's in surf lifesaving, police and other community services.

Cheers

Peter R

westie
06-12-2005, 08:58 AM
This has been addressed and the results are clear

POLICE, POLICE, and MORE POLICE are needed and not just for the Jet Skiers Boaties cause as much of a problem.

Poll on Jet Skis V Boaties

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1122214478

Why-ting
06-12-2005, 09:21 AM
hey guys im sure there are some decent blokes out there on jet skis. I just haven't come across them yet! Recently when fishing in duck creek at the pin, a mate and i were throwing plastics when a couple of d!@k head jet skiers thought it would be cool to put a big spray over the boat. Out came the sinker treatment. A few choice words to each other and tryed to spray us again. ###### fell off his ski. gave him so much shit and he rode off a little red faced thats my story. Cheers guys SKIED OFF!

westie
06-12-2005, 09:33 AM
The Throwing of sinkers Etc. is classed as a weapon and will be treated as such. Jet Skier will win.
Taking Rego No and passing them on is leagle and the best option along with a photo if possible

fishingnottake
06-12-2005, 10:20 AM
or accidently but a spainyrd slug across their bow they make a great fight on light tackle ::)

megan
06-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Had casting practice at some before - hit one and they pissed off. I think the law here in NSW is they have to be 200m from the shoreline - but that still soesn't stop them from doing what they want regardless of everyone else.

sf17fisherman
06-12-2005, 12:44 PM
never had a problem with on yet

they hoon around in the river while i fish the banks
however i'm more accomadating to them and skiers as i enjoy all water sports too

thing that pees me off more is bloke that came pass just on the plan throwing out a huge wake

Hoges
06-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Unfortunatley it was bound to happen.

Jetski crash victim dies

06dec05

A 54-year-old man whose jet ski collided with a boat on Queensland's Gold Coast at the weekend has died.

The accident on a tight bend on Coomera River near Wasp Creek occurred around 9.30am (AEST) Sunday.

He was rushed to Gold Coast Hospital with head and chest injuries, and died in the hospital early today.

Police said the stretch of river was notorious for its tight bends and blind corners.

MIKOS
06-12-2005, 01:17 PM

POLICE, POLICE, and MORE POLICE are needed and not just for the Jet Skiers Boaties cause as much of a problem.

Westie your right more police required as more accidents unfortunatly are going to happen over the chrismas break.Jet Ski are pretty cool machines when there ridden in respect and in the right places.

It is a minority of idiots that ride them carelessly which give them a bad name. ::) :-?

MIKOS
;)

westie
06-12-2005, 03:37 PM

Westie your right more police required as more accidents unfortunatly are going to happen over the chrismas break.Jet Ski are pretty cool machines when there ridden in respect and in the right places.

It is a minority of idiots that ride them carelessly which give them a bad name. ::) :-?

MIKOS
;)

As the poll indicates boaties need to get there act together, we all need to be water smart and concider other users. HELP Authorities in cracking down on the minority groups, by reporting problem areas, with enough complaints they may patrol more. My family and I are Jet Ski riders and they are a lot of fun, you say give them an area, that is fine we have an area at Caloundra Sth of Bells Ck, we have a water ski area at lighthouse reach, BUT did you know that if a fisherman come into that area Skiers along with Jet Skiers have to slow to 6knots when passing within 30 & the 60 mt now this is an area dedicated to this activity and fisherman can stop this just by anchoring up.
I have spoken to the authorities regarding this and they will take in to concideration the boaties are in a ski area but the rules are still there to be enforced.

Solution easy we all need to share what we all love to do.

Restricted areas will not work,
1 for Fishing
1 for WaterSkiers
1 for Jet Skis
1 for peace and quite
No one wants that

HOONS need to be targeted on water and roads

I will not say any more except I hope all Water & Road users take care and we all end up with having a Safe Christmas & New Year with many more to come

Merry Christmas
Westie

Elysium
06-12-2005, 04:51 PM
I just find that as soon as someone has a fishing rod in the boat they think they have full rights to be where they are...stuff everyone else.

I am a fisherman and I love takin the skis out...I have never seen anyones name written on the water so no one can lay claim to it!

I am not saying that there arent idiots on jetskis out there...of course there are. But there are idiots in boats too!

And as for jetskis always showing off (apparantly) by throwing wakes and doing the tricks....THATS WHAT THEY ARE MADE FOR!

Seahorse
06-12-2005, 04:52 PM
westie. all sounds good. if you were out at pin on sunday you may think differently. it was bad enough watching through my 6 set of eyes at boats but then try and watch jet skies coming from all directions and never just one, allways 3 or 4 and never slow down. i have never seen one slow down yet. 2 speeds stop and flat out. i saw 2 on sunday with their kids sittinf between them and the bars flat strap. kids were about 9,10 i think. even seen coppers on them. still got 2 speeds. the pin use to be nice spot, but now got all the idiots on jet skies. if sinkers are weapons then we need bigger sinkers. just a bunch of w@nkers as why-thing said. do you really think the coppers are going to do anything if i give them a rego number. to much paper work.

familyman
06-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Personally I believe that Mr ad exec or Dr or lawyer in their forty foot sports cruisers are more of a problem in my area(swansea nsw) .If they can earn enough money to pay for one of these then they should be able to afford reading lessons so they can read the NO BL$%DY WASH signs >:(
cheers jon

Seahorse
06-12-2005, 05:29 PM
hey jon you want some jet ski riders as well. they will take your mind off the others. hey we have them as well. extra large sinkers for them lol

cheers
greg

Spaniard_King
06-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Personally I think If a jet ski riders comes within 100m of me and is not doing a respectable speed, he is fair game ;D

Garry

redspeckle
06-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Lets hope the jet ski's owners learn from a tragic accidents one posted by hoges and the one at Coochiemudlo Island ( Southern Moreton Bay) on 26 of novemeber 2005 20 old woman lost her life by getting hit by another one jet when she fell off hers, what waste of a young life :(
Mitch

Seahorse
06-12-2005, 08:12 PM
both accidents absolute tragicities. they just shouldnt happen. a lot of times to much power in inexperienced hands. just like putting a young novice bike rider on 1000cc motor bike. what is the law now for jet ski liciencing?

familyman
06-12-2005, 09:47 PM
NSW regs are 18+ ,no junior licences for pwc's.
The same mentality that rides a pwc offensively is the same type of person doing donuts in the woolies carpark or where ever on a saturday night.
Should be if someone has a car driving record for reckless driving,speeding repeatedly or similar offences then they should be barred from obtaining pwc licences.
Also purchase of a pwc should be illegal without a current licence.
If there is a down side for law abiding riders then I cant see it :o
cheers jon

sf17fisherman
07-12-2005, 06:12 PM
and to be devils advocote

how many boating related deaths happen each year :-?

NSW had a spat of them from people doing basicaly the same thing as you are going on about on PWC's

timbacutta
07-12-2005, 06:53 PM
PWC's ridden by irressponsible owners should be used as target practice for the navy.
My opinion and I am sticking to it.

Jeff
:)

itreallywas
07-12-2005, 08:10 PM
and to be devils advocote

how many boating related deaths happen each year :-?

NSW had a spat of them from people doing basicaly the same thing as you are going on about on PWC's
Can you give details of the amount of boats on the water compared to jet skis and if so what is the percentage of victims boat versus jet ski ?

I am a boatie and anyone disobeying the law shits me whether on the road or the water !!

iank
08-12-2005, 04:59 AM
I thinkmost of the boating deaths were in ski boats doing what they were made to do (go fast) Have noticed that a fair few of them have the same mentallity as those jet ski riders we love to hate
Ian

Elysium
08-12-2005, 04:19 PM
So i am guessing that you guys all hate race cars too...they are built to go fast afterall...they have to driven by idiots then!!!!

same mentality!!

sf17fisherman
08-12-2005, 04:35 PM
not quite ian
tow deaths in the harksberry earlier this year happend in fishing boat with one in a fair size cat running into a bridge at speed

as for number no i don't have any and not sure how to look them up but i do know just as many people die in fishing boats as they do in other types of boats
however we need to keep it real also and just think and relise that the combined number of deaths from australia wide in all types of water craft would look very small comparied to the road toll ;)

Seahorse
08-12-2005, 05:09 PM
hey Elysium.
race cars are driven in confined areas and affecting only the other drivers in the race. if you say they have same mentality, i think you have no idea. they are under close controll at all times . jet ski riders are just out of control. if you are a jet ski rider dont come fying past my boat.
The only good sense you make is using the word idiots

Scalem
11-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Guys,

Question.. If a Jet ski is capable of amazing speeds on the water, faster than most boats I have ever seen on the water unless professionally racing, how do you slow a Jet Ski down? A drag racer throws out a parachute. A V8 supercar has huge vented disc rotors, but if a jet skier runs into trouble, how does the rider avert collision? I have never ridden one, I think it would be fun, but common sense must prevail. I see the law is about to change, as is the licensing for PWC's, because, unfortunately, the sensation of speed and brute power is another "ISM" the same as a drug, some people can't handle it and just want more.. That's the same for most things, but on the water, it has not been policed much, and for the simple physics of speed like mentioned above, that's what makes them more dangerous. But the law is tightening down for those few who disobey it.

HarryO
11-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Hi all,

It comes down to education, and courtesy/common sense..

I think I read that the proportion of jet-skis represent about
5% of registered watercraft, yet they represent approx 25%
of reported marine incidences.... (Qld)

Thats not a good thing, but by and large I found the younger
blokes appear to be the most responsable users, and us older
blokes the more likely to "show-off" .....

A personal observation that surprised me no end....

Harry...

westie
14-12-2005, 09:52 AM
You only have till Jan 1 to get your Licence for one of these toys, and if you are thinking of one in the future then get it now, as after Jan 1 it will be a lot harder to obtain one and the price will increase, at the moment it is 30 Questions and 15min of your time and about $38, these are fun and if you have a young family, think of the time down the track when you are at the Whitsunday's and the kids what to go for a ride or a mate has one he can loan you, just do it I am sure you will not be sorry training and days out are held by some places that sell them along with FREE tag a longs rides remember the sooner the young ones learn to operate any vehicle the right way and gain respect to other uses the safer everyone will be.
We all love to hate Jet Ski's but they are NO different to a car on the roads, in the old days we use to hoon around paddocks in a bush bash bom while doing this we were learning no matter if you were Male or Female, things have change over the years and kids of today have Ipods,phones,PPs, to fill in there day.

I believe there should be a Defensive Driving Course COMPULSIVE for ALL new drivers water and road as these areas are getting to be like driving an obstacle course un like 20-30 years ago.

There was a comment from "Scalem" about the stopping power of a Jet Ski with the right training the will stop in a very shot distance with the flick of the wheel and coming off the power.

My daughter has been told to respect other uses in the boat and on the Ski and she knows the moment that is disobeyed this, the ski will be gone.
She has a speed limit of 35MPH ( Top Speed is 60MPH) and she sticks to it as she knows I will be tougher than the Authorities on the water handing out PENALTIES. RESPECT and DISCIPLINE is the main problem along with Authorities on the water.

With all the problems of the going on in the world and riots in NSW lets just try to come to terms with that ALL our Waterways and Roadways are getting congested and we need to adjust our way of treating the problem and Base ball bats and sinkers are not the answerer here, or ANYWHERE for that matter.

Try saying Hi with 5 fingers spread out waving as someone passes by instead of 1 finger pointing up......... it will lead to a lot less agro!!!!!!!

Scalem
16-12-2005, 02:33 AM
Westie,

Valuable comments from a responsible owner/ operator, thanks. So you can slow jetski's in a hurry it seems, but I wonder how many riders are trained enough for that to be an automatic response within a split second, to avoid a collision? The main problem, as I said before is speed. I think your approach in training and defensive driving course is the only solution, but in saying that we need courses we are highlighting the fact they are potentially dangerous, and right now I am unconvinced that enough is being done, there's just too many out there breaking all the rules. I hope you and your daughter become the majority of responsible owners, not the minority.

westie
16-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Westie,

Valuable comments from a responsible owner/ operator, thanks. So you can slow jetski's in a hurry it seems, but I wonder how many riders are trained enough for that to be an automatic response within a split second, to avoid a collision? The main problem, as I said before is speed. I think your approach in training and defensive driving course is the only solution, but in saying that we need courses we are highlighting the fact they are potentially dangerous, and right now I am unconvinced that enough is being done, there's just too many out there breaking all the rules. I hope you and your daughter become the majority of responsible owners, not the minority.

This SHOULD not be seen in the respect that it is just, Jet Ski's as a problem area training and defensive driving course should be across the board with any vehicle, be it road or water, TRAINING is the key and i do believe Authorities along with other Clubs, Motoring Associations, and Dealers all are pushing for stronger Rules and Regulations to stop the carnage we have at precent and that is what we ALL want in the end.

subzero
16-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Was at a Skippers meeting last night and 2 of the local Water Police blokes attended.

They were asked about enforcement over the Xmas period etc and they told us they have been instructed to come down hard on any hooning around but especialy with regards to the Jet-Ski's after the recent event's locally and on the Gold Coast. Anyone not doing the right thing WILL BE BUSTED, no excuses, no exceptions, no tollerance.

A major Police blitz will be undertaken for the entire length of the holliday season on the Gold Coast and in particular concentrating on Jet-Ski operators.
This is in response to wide spreads public condemnation of the apparent foolishness and dangerous operation of these vessels as has been seen on recent news reports.

The blitz is realatively comon knowledge and they were not concerned about it being discussed so I am not speaking out of school.
Cant get much plainer than that.

Merry Xmas and Safe Boating
Cheers Lloyd

saphire
17-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Not long ago I was at the bottom of South Stradbroke Island and a few Jet Skis with what looked like geriatric riders, so I cant blame young people here, came speeding past me very close to my boat.
You would think older riders would be more carefull or be more sensible.
Oh well....you just never know.
saphire.

Seahorse
17-12-2005, 11:13 AM
i might be a bit stubborn or set in my ways but iam sorry, i havnt seen a jet ski in the pin area that hasnt pissed me off by their speed and non concern for people fishing. maybe we should reverse rolls for a day. speed control would be good idea. maybe couple cement bags tied on the back.