PDA

View Full Version : PICKING THE WEATHER

ON-THE-CHEW
20-12-2005, 08:29 PM
I have enough trouble picking the weather for inside the bay let alone attempting outside. What is it people look for, for an up coming good day outside. Obiviously wind is a factor, what direction and strength is best/passable. Current and water temperature how much does this come into your decision making. Also swell size and swell direction verses wind direction. Is there a perfect day you look for where there are certain conditions that lead up to your day of choice that will make it all the better. People might not want to give their secrets away but any help will be great.
<")>< <")>< <")><

Billo
20-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Hard to get em all right ...but you can try .
ok , my perfect day....light SW winds early easing and turning NE in the afternoon ...means you get the wind behind you in the morn and coming home .obviously 10 knotts or under is superb , but i can handle a 15 knott NE seabreeze for the trip back in or later in the fishing ..
And yes , swell with wind direction can always make it better once out there
Swell ..well , NONE would be good .
If i were crossing south passage bar like old , preferably S, SSE swell direction so i know the bar is easy , with a high tide on dawn for a current free cross , and i know for a full day the rising tide means current is with you on the crossing coming home
but crossing the top of the bay these days , care factor is minimal, i prefer a mid morning low tide as bait tends to be pushed more into the structure
I like to see an open weather pattern WITHOUT troughs on the coast...a couple of high pressure systems with a great big opening over the SE coast... so i know it is stable and a higher chance the pattern sticks .
I like the building moon ...a few days before the full, so a bit of current and i find bait tends to gather more ( personal observation , not sure how true it is ...but works for me )on the build
Water temps around 26...oh , and a heap of TOP reports the days leading up ;D
i think that covers it ;)

onerabbit
20-12-2005, 11:15 PM
have to go with billo, try to pick a time where you go out with the wind & come home with it. on the big map i look for the big high coming up with a smaller arm stretching out where i am , seems to work (most times). muzz.