PDA

View Full Version : what do you do about it (state of fishing)

krazyfisher
21-12-2005, 06:47 AM
A lot of people complain about the waterways, fishing, bad practices ,etc but what do they do. just interesting to see. it may also start people to think about what they can do

fishingnottake
21-12-2005, 08:14 AM
it's kind of every fishermans responsibility to not only do the right thing himself but pull others up when he sees them doing obviously wrong, we're a self regulating sport, even if it is as simple as calling fishwatch, or tailending somone off a bridge for keeping lots of undersized fish and casting hiis %##$ net #across my line three times #>:( most fisherman i know will stop to grab rubbish if they see it floating around to bin it later, etc, 90% know what needs to be done to sustain the fishery, #

krazyfisher
21-12-2005, 03:09 PM
complain and do nothing 2 votes

atleast some people are telling the truth

seabug
21-12-2005, 04:54 PM
I think that we will eventually see tempory closures in all areas so as to give the fish a chance.

The way even small groups of fish are targeted is unsustainable

Not saying anyone is breaking the law.

Just that a couple of generations ago the fisherman found his catch by chance

Now with fishfinders there is no place for them to hide
Add to this that forty years ago hardly anyone owned a boat

If the present situation is not changed them lots of areas/species will be fished to extinction

Regards
Seabug

Panda
21-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Fisheries in general are in decline worldwide.
There are but a few main reasons for this.
1. Excessive harvest pressure, particularly of brood stock both commercial and amateur;
2. Destruction of environment, eg: mangroves;
3. Pollution, particularly around population bases.

I suppose that news is nothing new to most of us. But unfortunately the truth is that governments are juggling a lot of different interests and tend not to react to declining fish stocks until proof of such decline can be shown by irrefutable scientific analysis. In most cases its too late to shut the gate after the horse has bolted, (proverbially speaking).

I read somewhere that around 75% of the oceans biomass of fin fish have gone over the past 100 years. I would guess that from anecdotal evidence gained by talking to old timers in my younger years that the same is probably true of estuarine species too. Even in my own time over the past 35 tears I can see a very noticeable decline in fish stocks. Anglers now have to work a lot harder for fewer fish. Plus theres a lot more anglers with a lot more knowledge and a lot better gear exploiting a lot more places these days. Professionals are working harder and smarter to earn a living.

But the good news is that fish are a renewable resource and can be harvested like a crop off the land without decline if managed properly. Bad news is that there are a lot of other competing interests which are not in the best interests of preserving fish stocks vieing for the governments support.

My personal opinion is that things re fish stocks and ability of the average family fisherman to get a feed will probably continue to decline for the next 30 to 50 years and then stabilize as fish stocks decline, environmental pollution and destruction of habitat slow, and the technology advances in fish capture fail to give any any significant advantage.

Well, I may be wrong and I will probably be gone from this earth in 30 to 50 years, so I may never really know how it all turns out.

I may be old fashioned. I dont catch more fish than I can use. I dont go out to stress, injure and release fish just because I can, and it gives me a buzz. I go out to get a feed, thats all. I would guess thats about all 95% of fishermen want to do too. Once I have my personal (or legal) quota I go home and I dont think I am missing out on any part of sportsfishng. Sure its nice to use the lightest gear and all the latest technology to get a feed when the fish are scarce, it adds to the sport and skill of the hunt. But I dont think we as fishermen in general can put a case to governments by saying we want to be able to access so many fish we can catch and release like they do on the TV shows which take two weeks to shoot a 30 minute programme.

Fishinmishin
21-12-2005, 08:55 PM
I think it is important to go out and kill as many little fishies as possible to fill your and all your neigbours freezers. When they are full....buy more freezers as you never know when you'll wake up and all the fish will be gone. I also think as it's becoming more difficult to get a good feed every trip, that size limits need to be lowered and bag limits increased to ensure we all can take home more fish.
Cheers, Jay ;)
I voted just do the right thing yourself.
Sunfish is corrupt and the government does't have a clue. It's no different to our oil situation...if they are making $ over it...it doesn't matter to them. Don't change a thing till it's all destroyed and then mabey think of what we do next ::) :P.

thumps
22-12-2005, 08:53 AM
i think i finally get it

at the time of this post 34% do their own thing the way they seem fit

and 10% do nothing

thats 44% that either think they have it right ...or couldnt be blowed to make a difference.

i am assuming that this translates into 34% that think their practices are good enough for them..(as long as they do what they think is right..then noone can tell them to do otherwise...because what they do is morally right)

the 10 % dont care so they do nothing anyway

so is see it this way

Morally...nearly 50% of the rec fishing community thus far... dont want to be told what to do by anyone....dont want a political input..and generally want to be left alone to do "what they think is right"

seems a fair comment in itself..but does nothing to save anything...it just lets it roll along at its own pace.

comments of corruption in organisation also does nothing to fix the problem...just highlights that we do what we think is right...and complain when others dont meet our expectations of MORAL RIGHT

just my thoughts

Fishinmishin
22-12-2005, 10:35 AM
I think 'just do the right things yourself' is the most positive reply. I'd be happy to see that choice keep building. By doing the right things myself that means firstly I adhere to all regulations cause that is the right thing to do. It goes much further in a positive direction by covering that I don't rely on bag limits to tell me how many fish to catch, instead I relise some are set too high so I only take what I need/want for the trip. I also find a productive spot, catch a few and move on to leave ensure the spot is not overfished. I don't only ensure I litter, but I pick up others which is beyond the rules.
If the government or related organisations actually had a clue....we wouldn't be discussing this then...would we? Sitting back and waiting for them to fix a problem has got us nowhere where as if at least half fishos (pro or rec) 'did the right thing themselves' it would give the most positive outcome.

just my thoughts ;)
Cheers, Jay

thumps
22-12-2005, 11:28 AM
i think thats the point

[Sitting back and waiting for them to fix a problem has got us nowhere

if at least half fishos (pro or rec) 'did the right thing themselves' it would give the most positive outcome.

and that has lead us to having no voice...and watching our resources diminish.

;D

Gazza
22-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Is there a list of fish species saved by imposing higher sizelimits or lower baglimits?

Is there any Recreational only species that has ever been wiped out?

Most people follow the rules, imposed by others ,who purport to know better.

Nowadays.....I think we question more ,if those others, know what their talking about.

sf17fisherman
22-12-2005, 01:48 PM
i with jay on this one
on my boats i have a higher size limit than i need to by law and also have a lower bag limit

really i only need enoght for a feed within the next two nights not a frezzer full of fish that could stock a small country for a year

i belive that doing above and beyond the law we are ensureing our stocks are being looked after and as long as the majority of us do than then even when the minority does keep some undersized fish we have done enoght to cover that

as for locked out areas it has less to do with fish size and numbers and more to the goverment listening to people like ron and val taylor or ben cropp who were the ones that saw many fish and sharks killed just for them to say "look at me i'm sooo good" and are now on a missoin to save these fish so they can fainaly have a clear consions
what we need is the bloody truth shown about these tosses so the goverment can see how full that are of it :-[

rajawolf
22-12-2005, 10:21 PM
I have no comment. ;D :)

Dug
22-12-2005, 11:57 PM
NIMBY Not In My Backyard.

I try to take care of my local area as much as possible

If everyone had this approach things would be a lot better.

I just do what I can when I can.

A report in from the Tsunami aid that local fishermen have been given more powerful and more seaworthy boats and it is looking like fish stocks may crash due to overfishing.

Sadly the only real way to stop over fishing is to drop the worlds population.

Bird flu anyone?

Electric_Panda
23-12-2005, 12:32 AM
Sadly I think ‘doing the right thing’ in regard to size and bag limits, while admirable, is not even close to enough effort if we are to have a recreational fishery for our children or our children’s children. #

Recently I had the good fortune to dive and fish the Solomons. #The biomass was simply amazing. #And even there, the marine biologists were saying that since logging has started increasing sedimentation has effected the numbers and quality of fish and coral. #Not to mention the tuna fleets. #:'(

Panda has it right. #There are 6 billion human beings on the planet all wanting a better place in the sun for themselves and their children and usually that means unsustainable living. #
If we all had rainwater tanks, worm farms, caught bait rather than buying trawled pilchards, #lobby for usable bike paths, etc etc we would be doing better. # But in reality a lot of the problems come from unsustainable practices of large and often multinational corporations that are doing enormous damage. #We are all guilty of complicity to varying degrees here. #We often work for them without raising the issue of sustainability. #How many of us lobby governments to get real about environmental issues?

Here is a start. This link is to Greenpeace’s current #Antarctic campaign. http://oceans.greenpeace.org/en/ocean-defenders-tv have a look, maybe get involved. If that doesn’t tickle your toes how about sending an email to Ian Macdonald regarding the illegal logging going on in Melanesia that Australians are buying.
http://www.greenpeace.org.au/features/features_details.html?site_id=45&news_id=1863
Logging is THE thing that is killing the fishing in places like the Solomons and PNG. #The facts are very plain. #The tuna fleets and drift netters are obvious but without trees the coastal reefs soon die. #
How many of us take another sip of beer and leave it to someone else. #Since lots of us are on our computers anyway – have a look at what different conservation groups are doing. #Yes, its nice most of us are respecting bag limits but is that really fighting to save a dwindling resource or just putting your head in the sand? #:'(

(have been logging under DanH but the password wouldn't work this trip?! :-?)

juicyfruit
24-12-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm going to play the game 'Point Out and State The Obvious'

I see a lot of talk and no action.

Now I'm going to play the game 'Quote The Celebrity'

"Shame Shame Shame"

Cheers

Juicy

thumps
23-12-2006, 12:06 PM
its all very good to have your own laws on your own boats etc

but what happens when you arent allowed to fish those areas anymore....because of closures...and or lack of fish because someone else decided to do nothing?????

self regulation is good for those that believe in themselves...but what about those we complain about all the time

those that rape and pillage ..or kill for the thrill

this forum is full of caring fishers that believe in the laws..(to a point) and only 85 out of 10000 bothered to vote at this point

what about the other 17 odd million that arent members of a fish chat group..or even care

finding_time
23-12-2006, 12:52 PM
First i would like to say that i don't think the fishing is that bad, everyone keeps saying that the fishing is no good anymore and this i think is a self prepetuating myth. I have no trouble catching a feed of fish,mabye i've improved my fishing ability thanks to ausfish but there seems to be plenty of fish about ( eg snapper)

I always try and do the right think my self and only take what will be eaten also i try not to destroy the enviroment through littering and other bad practices. Also i have a FISHWATCH sticker in the boat aswell as a mobile phone and have reported bad practices of other fisho's. But its pretty much a waste of time as fisheries nevers seem to act on any of these reports.( Eg i was watching a fella in a tinny one day working about 20 dillies and every crab that came up must have been a buck because none went back after three phone calls over 2 hours still no action so i approached the fella and said that as he wasn't a pro he could not have more than 4 dillies and that jennys had to go back in. The ABUSE i coped in and Asain language was very sustained and the knife waving also worring. i moved away and phoned again still no action! What else can you do!! >:(

Ian

dasher
Not even 85 Thumps, sorry mate but I voted for 3 of the options. Not one of my votes were related to sitting on my clacker and doing nothing except complain, which seems to be the majority feeling amongst recreational fishermen. Take 2 mins of your time and fill in a application form for TFPQ and send it off with $22 which won't even by you a slab of beer. Then you can sit back with a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing you have contributed to the fight for at least the length of your membership (3 years) Just as an afterthought, what are you going to say to your grandkids when they ask why they can't fish where you used to. Maybe just lie to them and tell them you fought the battle BUT nobody else would support you.

thumps
anyways

the point of this thread was to find out What YOU do about things.....

not an arguement over the finer points

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

dasher
23-12-2006, 01:05 PM
First i would like to say that i don't think the fishing is that bad, everyone keeps saying that the fishing is no good anymore and this i think is a self prepetuating myth. I have no trouble catching a feed of fish,mabye i've improved my fishing ability thanks to ausfish but there seems to be plenty of fish about ( eg snapper)

I always try and do the right think my self and only take what will be eaten also i try not to destroy the enviroment through littering and other bad practices. Also i have a FISHWATCH sticker in the boat aswell as a mobile phone and have reported bad practices of other fisho's. But its pretty much a waste of time as fisheries nevers seem to act on any of these reports.( Eg i was watching a fella in a tinny one day working about 20 dillies and every crab that came up must have been a buck because none went back after three phone calls over 2 hours still no action so i approached the fella and said that as he wasn't a pro he could not have more than 4 dillies and that jennys had to go back in. The ABUSE i coped in and Asain language was very sustained and the knife waving also worring. i moved away and phoned again still no action! What else can you do!! >:(

Ian

Ian I know it can be frustrating when you do the right thing but don't see a response. Don't be disheartened mate, all reports are logged with as much information as possible and the results are monitored for future raids when the resources are available. If possible get the rego No. of the wankers car back at the ramp and any identifying marks on the boat. The more reports the DPI get the better the chance of forming a pattern for them to work on. By the way never risk personal injury in confronting these clowns mate, it is not worth it. Only ever front them when the odds are in your favour i.e. when you outnumber them. Keep up the good work and have a good and safe chrissy mate. :)