PDA

View Full Version : Fraser barge operators fined big time

Nugget
24-12-2005, 08:52 AM
This will bring a smile to Fraser regulars. It was a bung fight in 2000 / 2001.
I think there is still some trickery going on - despite what signs indicate at Rainbow - you do not have to buy your barge ticket prior to boarding.

Dave ><>

TWO former Fraser Island barge operators have been ordered to pay $1 million in costs and penalties after they were found guilty of predatory pricing and breaches of the Trade Practices Act.

Sidney Albert Melksham and Angela Kay Burger and their companies were fined after the Federal Court declared they had used predatory techniques in an attempt to eliminate a competitor.

In December 2000, rival barge the Manta Ray begun operating from Inskip Point near Rainbow Beach to Hook Point, on Fraser Island.

The Federal Court declared Melksham and Burger and their companies Eurong Beach Resort, Jaigear Pty Ltd, and Oser Pty Ltd, had a substantial degree of power in the market and "took advantage of that power for the purpose of eliminating and substantially damaging" their competitor.

Melksham and Burger implemented a policy so that the price was kept at $10 less than their competitor.

The companies also admitted to entering into a contract with another operator, who agreed not to supply barge services to Fraser Island at the same time as them.

Justice Kiefel ordered the following penalties: $500,000 against Eurong Beach Resort; $100,000 against Jaigear Pty Ltd; $100,000 against Oser Pty Ltd; $100,000 against Melksham and $100,000 against Burger.

He also ordered the respondents pay the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's costs of $100

fishingnottake
24-12-2005, 09:06 AM
is mantaray still there?

Freeeedom
24-12-2005, 01:08 PM
That is the best news I've heard in a long time, but I wonder what they'll do about the time Syd did the same thing to put Elmer's barge out of business. Back in the 80's when I was going to Fraser every year I think at one stage Syd's barge was free, and the deckie, who didn't take our money, said that if, necessary, Syd was going to give every vehicle that travelled on his barge a free carton of beer to make sure that Elmer didn't get any customers. It didn't come to that because Elmer didn't last. If that's not predatory business practice I don't know what is.
Cheers Freeeedom

gawby
24-12-2005, 02:41 PM
The mantaray is still there and i use it every time i go to fraser.
I find them a friendly bunch of blokes and have up to the minute info for the island.
Graeme

Nugget
25-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Mantaray is still there - my choice every time.

Dave ><>

BAIT_MAN
25-12-2005, 11:48 AM
The only way to go as i will always back the small man

Tight Lines
Shane

Morlers
25-12-2005, 07:56 PM
What goes around comes around. It couldn't have happen to a nicer fellow!

I always supported Elmer and then Manteray and will continue to do so.

:D :D

Morlers

D2
27-12-2005, 05:31 AM
The bigger picture is: Melksham and his partner sold out, including Eurong Beach Resort some time ago and are sitting back counting all of their other millions. Just wonder where the fine is going to??? Bet the little Aussie battler doesn't see any of it....

dasher
27-12-2005, 06:31 AM
Nice to see those mongrels brought to justice. ;D