PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Foolish or Hero??

roz
25-12-2005, 06:51 AM
Dave,

You can't save people from themselves.

What is it they say?

The best bit of safety equipment in a boat is a frightened man with a bucket.

Have a nice XMAS

cheers Roz

Blackened
25-12-2005, 10:27 AM
G'day
Upon returning to the ramp thismorning (wello point) I had a quick chat with the only other bloke who was there. His boat : red open savage tinny about 14' matched with 25 hp evinrude tiller steer. This rig looked to be @ least a mid 80's vintage. Now, this wasnt the problem. I had just came back in with a similar sized rig (12' horizon and 9.9 merc 2000 model motor and 10y/o hull) and i got thrown around a little and I had just come from green. This bloke had 75 itres of fuel on board which was good, no radio and only basic safety equip and camping gear. He was leaving wello point ramp to go to yellowpatch. Yes...yellow patch on moreton, up round the cape. WInds were allready 10-15 and 15-20 from the north @ the inner beacon and cape and predictions were for 20-25 later on. I let his mate know what i thought in a nice way and reminded him to take life insurance out on his mate when he got home and to also tape the news for me. Myself i do some arsey things in my boat but with a forecast like that, in that vessel going to bloody yellowpatch to see his sister thats camping there?? Go figure. So, what are your thoughts, myself... i couldnt believe it. I'll be saying foolish.
Dave

juicyfruit
25-12-2005, 10:54 AM
foolish aye....but it must be amazing the love he has for his sister......or maybe its coz it's x-mas he has a great desire to be with family.

Merry x-mas

HarryO
25-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Dave.

Steady as she goes, he should be alright.

Many boats behind Green this morning?

How'd ya go? Get any?

Harry

Blackened
26-12-2005, 04:45 PM
G'day
Yes thats so true roz. Had a great chrissy dinner last nite. The rellies have a house on the hill @ wynnum north overlooking the bay and the light shows last night whilst eating turkey ham pudding and rum was pretty good. Great night anyway yeh i realise you cannot same people from themselves. Looking back on it now probally the riskiest thing i have done is when i had a frend that lived @ amity. I'd scoot across early mornin in the 12 footer, spend all day there and then leave there abut 10pm or a bit later and scoot back 2 manly. No GPS then, just becon to beacon and the likes. All appropriate lights and safety gear of course. Just head for the port until the st. helena radio towers come into view and then aim for the lights @ wynnum/manly. Just avoid the dark patch(greenisland) and all was well. Those were the days. Anyway, have a great boxing day and a great lead up to new years.
Dave

mackmauler
26-12-2005, 05:12 PM
he would put some pink shoes to shame, what a champion!

Darryl
26-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Statistic in the making.

maztez
26-12-2005, 05:48 PM
I suppose we all take chances at some stage in life ....when we lived in Darwin back pre and after Tracy a mate and i used to fish Darwin harbour in a 10 foot tinny( Brooker) powered by a huge 5 horse mariner.Many times we had to run to Mandora pub cause we ran out of supplies then getting stuck on mud flats on the return home ...I scare myself now when I think back ...no safety gear just oars and esky ...crocs still shy in those days and the harbour being huge with massive tidal movements ....scary stuff..but Im still here a lot wiser
cheers Terry ::) ::)

barraboy2
26-12-2005, 09:34 PM
I met a couple in Cooktown a few years back that were on their way to the Cape York from Yorkys Knob Cairns in a 3.7m tinnie with a 15hp on the back.They bought #the boat second hand a few days earlier and they told me that they had never been to sea before I asked what if you break down, their answer was we'll beach the boat and walk out, sounds simple. Fearing for their safety I informed the local police of what they were attempting to do, the police told me that they can not stop stupidity. I later found out that they had past Cape Flattery, but heard no more of them. I often look on missing persons lists now to see if can see them. :(

szopen
26-12-2005, 10:42 PM
To me and you stupid.
To them just sound and fine plan.

The funny thing in life is how many of such harebrained ideas and plans work out just fine in face of all odds.

Somebody out there might be just looking out for them "fools".
(And I am not a religous person but some things in life make you wonder)

Ever wondered how even serious mishaps end without a scrape when you drunk?
(on land that is)

dasher
27-12-2005, 06:37 AM
Obviously couldn't wait for his xmas present from his sister. :o ::) :-?

PinHead
27-12-2005, 11:13 AM
G'day
Upon returning to the ramp thismorning (wello point) I had a quick chat with the only other bloke who was there. His boat : red open savage tinny about 14' matched with 25 hp evinrude tiller steer. This rig looked to be @ least a mid 80's vintage. Now, this wasnt the problem. I had just came back in with a similar sized rig (12' horizon and 9.9 merc 2000 model motor and 10y/o hull) and i got thrown around a little and I had just come from green. This bloke had 75 itres of fuel on board which was good, no radio and only basic safety equip and camping gear. He was leaving wello point ramp to go to yellowpatch. Yes...yellow patch on moreton, up round the cape. #WInds were allready 10-15 and 15-20 from the north @ the inner beacon and cape and predictions were for 20-25 later on. I let his mate know what i thought in a nice way and reminded him to take life insurance out on his mate when he got home and to also tape the news for me. Myself i do some arsey things in my boat but with a forecast like that, in that vessel going to bloody yellowpatch to see his sister thats camping there?? Go figure. So, what are your thoughts, myself... i couldnt believe it. I'll be saying foolish.
Dave

There is nothing similar between a 14' with a 25hp and a 12' with a 9.9..like chalk and cheese..I would take the tinny to Yellow Patch...staright across to Straddy and follow the island..stay close and there should be no problems.

blaze
27-12-2005, 11:27 AM
I wonder how many people that are knocking this guy have ever been in a sea with a small boat.
Rember years ago my uncle started his pro crayfishing career with a 14' tinny on the west coast of tassie. If you seen some of the seas we get down there it makes you wonder. He flipped the boat on numerous occassions, he would turn it the right wayup and then row to shore, sort his gear out clean his motor and back out the next day. Mad, yep not wrong, good seaman, yep, why? because thats what most of them did back then and he is still very much alive and still pro fishing for cray at 68 years old. Thats how the old salts learnt there trade in the perilous seas we have.
I have personaly pulled pots in 3m swells down there in a 12 foot tinnie with a 4hp motor, not quick, you dont need to be, careful, bloody oath.
Would I go 30-50k from my launch ramp in a little tinnie yep its how you do it, island hop and be prepared to beach the boat if the conditions deteriate
cheers
blaze

Darryl
27-12-2005, 11:42 AM
I have been caught in massive seas and was glad to be in a 30 foot ferro and not the tender on the back.

I have also been over the old Southport bar in really bad conditions with no boats going outside , even 36 cats were inside as it was too rough. Charter boats were turning around and going back in.

So of course i had to go outside in my 16 foot dory with a 40 mariner on it ,and a pregnant wife ready to drop the baby, just too prove i could.

I think back now and realise i was a flaming idiot.

skippa
27-12-2005, 05:08 PM
I.

So of course i had to go outside in my 16 foot dory with a 40 mariner on it ,and a pregnant wife ready to drop the baby, just too prove i could.

Geez Darryl, you weren't dropped on you head as baby where you ;D
You Islanders will do anything :o ;D

Blaze,

If you knew the Bay well, to take on this trip in that rig would, by most thinking people, be described as fool hardy.

Recently Mrs Skip and myself set out for a day on Peel from Redland Bay. On our return it was blowing a good 20+ knotts from the North on a runout tide (wind against tide situation), between Coochie and Macleay Islands we wore 3 greenies straight over the top (17ft Cuddy Southwind). This area gets very shallow quickly and can be dangerous in these conditions. When we arrived back at the ramp a bloke and his girlfriend where launching their boat. Glass 12 fter about 2 ft of freeboard and a 20hp OLD JOHNO. They still launched even after I showed him the water in the back of our boat. We where travelling with the waves, they intended to go against them. Hard to protect some people from themselves I guess.

Anyway, mighten not have to worry soon, re Dereks post of Moreton Bay having up to 50% closed to fishing, if the greenies have their way.

What's that I feel coming up my rear end .... :'(

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

blaze
27-12-2005, 05:53 PM
I know what ya saying Tony, thats when the ability of the skipper comes in and should make the call. You will notice I said in my eariler post be prepared to beach and know when to. Closing up morton looks a real worry, we have a new one coming down here too, at this stage most are out of reach of a normal trailer boat but I notice the charter guys are talking about the new one
cheers
blaze

Darryl
27-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Wasn't dropped on my head as a baby Tony , i just keep falling over as a pissed adult lol.

Dont start on us bloody Islanders or i will put my 6 foot canoe in with the mighty seagull on the back and come and let your tyres down son. :D :D

skippa
27-12-2005, 06:26 PM
I know what ya saying Tony, thats when the ability of the skipper comes in and should make the call. You will notice I said in my eariler post be prepared to beach and know when to. Closing up morton looks a real worry, we have a new one coming down here too, at this stage most are out of reach of a normal trailer boat but I notice the charter guys are talking about the new one
cheers
blaze

Yeah not having a go at you Blaze, but not many places to beach when you strike trouble in the middle of Moreton bay tho. It is the skippers call, but the biggest problem I guess is when the skipper doesn't have the experience in the first place. (not saying this guy did or didn't have suitable experience) but it's not good when your floating around the middle of the bay in a swamped little boat.

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

skippa
27-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Wasn't dropped on my head as a baby Tony , i just keep falling over as a pissed adult lol.

Dont start on us bloody Islanders or i will put my 6 foot canoe in with the mighty seagull on the back and come and let your tyres down son. :D :D

AAAAhhhhhh,

good to see ya on ya feet and back to normal again Darryl ........
Whatever that is for Islanders ... ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

Darryl
27-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Normal is as normal does sir. :o ;D

Hard life living on an Island in the middle of the Bay i tell ya. :-X

skippa
27-12-2005, 07:11 PM
yep, as long as I can see the water from the window mate ;)

2DKnBJ
27-12-2005, 07:42 PM
I would like to say that just about everyone with a boat has done something foolish at one stage in their boating life.It is all about learning.
How do you know what your boat or yourself can handle without having a go.It"s all about experience.
A few years back i headed out from Victoria point across to potts point in a 12 ft tinny with a 20 hp on the back.The wind was blowing 20 kn N/E while i was there it picked up to 25/30 kn.I copped one over the nose and 2 over the side on the way back.When i arrived at the ramp i had to throw my jocks away ::)
I now know i don't go out there in a small boat if it is blowing over 20 kn.
I am yet to test my current boat out
Last Friday i decided on heading out too Mud for the night #to get a feed of sandies for Xmas.On heading out from Pinkenba the wind was blowing it's ring off so made the call to stay in the river for the night and head out at first light.Proceded as planned but wasn't the best of rides.All the way across i kept thinking of the last weather report.Winds dropping in the morning ,picking up about lunch.If the winds were going to pick up the ride home wasn't going to be the best.Had i been by myself i would have continued but considering the safety of my crew,Kirsten(better half) Blake (18 month old son) decided to turn back.Had i been #by myself i would have kept going to see what the boat can handle but more importantly what myself as skipper can handle.
It's all about experience.
Cheers Dazza

Custaro
29-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Well the worst has happened today with a bloke losing his life after a 6m fiberglass boat sank off Peel Island. And in another incident a man and two kids were rescued off Margate after their boat sank.

Boating safety depends so much on experience, knowing your limits and always being prepared for the worst. I take my hat off to you Dave for letting those blokes know your thoughts. You might not have stopped them from going but you may have put the wind up them enough to make them take a little more care.

Transport Dept. should send officers to ramps in holiday seasons and do checks on sea worthiness of boats going out. There a heap of boats and owners that don't get regular time on the water but come holiday season they decide to take out a crew of most likely other non-experienced people. They aren't that hard to spot. Cracked walls in trailer tires and a thick layer of dust.

Clayton

bidkev
29-12-2005, 10:49 PM
[quote author=Crestcutter link=1135470464/0#13 date=1135647728][b]I.

<snip>

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

Oooooops! [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] Not me, sailor :-* ;D

skippa
29-12-2005, 11:19 PM
[quote author=Crestcutter link=1135470464/0#13 date=1135647728][b]I.

<snip>

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

Oooooops! #[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] Not me, sailor #:-* #;D

Geez Kev, thank Christ for that .... #[smiley=wreck.gif]

Now go back to chatting up Juicyfruit ..... # ;D