PDA

View Full Version : Take Me Fishing  - stories needed

gif
29-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Water Works Wonders # and #takemefishing

I need some good old Ausfish help. This won’t be the last time and I am hoping you will all be generous.

Some of you may know the takemefishing #campaign from the USA. # #Well we are starting up an Australian version in 2006. # #After 2 years of background works it Looks like we have some money lined up and it will go ahead in 2006

Its a national #“image” advertising campaign # to remind people how valuable is fishing – it gives us time spend with special people. # And to take back some of the ground from those against fishing.

Some will have seen the USA version # Adds like a little girls saying “take me fishing cause my wedding will be sooner than you think” - hmmmm # a bit to USA for us and we need to make it more Australian #

So # - I need your stories #About a special day with your Dad # Uncle or child . The kind of day where what or how many you caught was not important. # # Don’t worry about the writing # #We just need the story as best you can. # #Some reality and not Advertising agency blurb.

I am hoping that your stories will be an influence to others to enjoy fishing and have their own good memories of a day fishing.

Gary

onerabbit
29-12-2005, 04:31 PM
go to tribute to my grandfather, is beautiful.

gif
29-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Thanks - thats what inspired me to ask.

Gary

Heath
29-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Dunno if you can use this Gary. But have a look.
I didn't realise how much I zoned out while playing a fish until I watched this footage.
Will be paying more attention from now on, as this sort of commentary is priceless!

Click HERE (www.gcfishing.com/images/videos/macs.wmv)

I must say I smile, everytime I listen to it ;D

Volvo
30-12-2005, 12:42 AM
Okay Gary fer you only n hoping it serves the purpose lol...
Could say my Dad inspired me into Fishing along with my Bro In law as well for a short period of time ..
Two trips to Tallawarra Powerstation many moons ago chasing Bream at the hot water oultet #on a cold winters night..
Due to the fathers timetable and workschedule he never got a chance to do it again but the thrill of the ride stuck to me like shyte sticks to a blanket as the old saying goes:)..
Workers bus would leave Crown street somewhere's in the 1500-1530 mark. Travel all the way to Tallawarra Powerstation , drop off the afternoon shift and pick up the dayworkers for their ride back to the Gong or in between then do the return trip #to drop of the nightshift and pick up the previous afternoon shift workers etc somewheres around 2300-2330 and if ya missed the bus ?? bad luck your stuck there till the next one , hence what happenned to this little ducky.
Was so smitten with those first two trips wetting a line ,even it be a handline at that lol that i was just not going to give the #bug up:)..
Permission was (after throwing all sorts of tantrums) allowed for me to catch the workers bus out to Tallawarra all on me lonesome and catch some fresh breams (yeah i know i spelt that wrong) n then catch the bus back home along with all them workers:)..I mean whats wrong with that?? Plenty of folks onboard to watch over a young lad ey??..
Spent most the previouse day and morning in question peeling my prawns fer bait and salting them in me bait jar..
Made sure there was enough line on both the handlines along with enough hooks n sinkers "just incase" in the tackle jar and a sleepless night waiting for the next afternoon to come around.
Took a feckin lifetime i can assure ya !!..
Tell ya what, there was NO WAY i was going to miss that workers bus that afternoon and first one in line when it pulled up and first one off when it arrived and betcha pound ta pinch that driver was glad to see the tail end of me give his ears a rest lol.
Winter can get a tad cold around the Wollongong area esecially when the cold south westerlies come in ey so does pay to be rugged up if out fishing of a night and Tallawarra was no exception..
Water would look near like glass even with the runout movement of the water, the fog lifting off it #and god elp ya if the Fish werent on the chew which seldom was the case in those days ey..
Just a matter of locating where the Biggies were having their general meeting for the night :).This particular night was the case of moving around trying to locate the bigger fish , which i did and have a ball i did also. Trouble was i was having such a good time in a particular little possie of mine pulling bream after bream that i lost track of time nor did i hear the workers Bus pull up or leave!!..
Long way from tallawarra to Wollongong especially for a little fella ey.
Shyte happens as they say and by the time i realised what had happened i just threw the sugar bag of bream over my shoulder , Moms plastic shopping bag in one hand and started trotting out towards the highway hoping fer a miracle bus or hitch a ride..
As luck had it, it started to rain n that south wester got a tad stronger and swore i could feel n hear someone sittin on me shoulder laughing their head off.
Who said i wouldnt make it to the highway??, even if it was pitch black and not a headlight to be seen fer miles, still peltin down rain but still wearing a smile on my face with all them breams in that sugar bag.
Yes i was also a tad worried at what was waiting for me if n when i hit the front doorstep:(..
Headlights!!!,BIG fairlane speeds past, Big fairlane stops and reverses back:)...
"Oy ya wanna lift?? comes a voice from within..Not sure how many couples were in that car but i do know i was soaking wet, freezing me whatever off but the two good samaritan sheilas that tucked me in between the pair of em to stop me from totally freezing i'll never ferget even today:)!!!..
Shyte they felt good n warm ey:)...
There are good peoples on this planet ey and even drove me all the way to the front gate of our home where they bid n cheersed me farewell..
Feck i wish they could have hung around fer a wee while longer as the houselights were all on which meant Mom n Dad were up, which meant they'd be a tad upset fer me being a wee late, which meant i was in fer a floggin of sorts..
Front door opens after the fairlane depart with me Mom trying to outpace my Dad cause she knew what he had in mind n thank god she had her runners on lol...
Oy Mom, look what i caught !!, Moms in tears(Understatement really, she was absolutely bawling to see her little boy okay even if he was drenched like a sewer rat).
Dad didnt miss out , he managed to give me a few good claps around the earoles which managed to warm up the ears but feck it hurt as well!!..
You know from the very first fishing trip i went on to when i can remember back there was never once that my Mom would never ever cook me a fresh feed of the days catch and that night was no exception.
After a hot bath and warm pyjamas there was a fresh feed of grilled fish along with some HORTA!! on the table waiting for me and that became a ritual even till today when i comes home from a fishing trip there is always a fresh feed of fish that night to be had..
Dont know what gave me the biggest kick out of my fishing adventures when young? the fish ide bring home or the smile on me Moms face both from seeing me home safe n sound plus the fish ide bring home as till today she absolutely loves eating Fish:)..
Out of all me fishing outings and memories ide have to say this one hangs out in me noggin the most.
Had it in mind to make the yarn a tad longer fer ya Gary but i know you said to try keep it short ey:)..
N sorry fer the spelling #ey.

Big_unit
30-12-2005, 12:49 AM
You asked Gary. ;D ;D ;D

Cheers
James

Big_unit
30-12-2005, 01:01 AM
I knew this girl years ago and one time at band camp she stuck... ohh this is for kiddies. sorry bout that.

A good memory for me would be standing on the break wall at Harrington, NSW early in the morning waiting for my Dad who diving for Lobsters would surface every so often and hand us a Lobbie or a still kickin Parrot or some fish that he had just speared. I remember that my brother & I would almost fight over his catch so we would get it in our spud bag whilst my sister would sit a little further up the rocks screaming her lungs out everytime we would go near her with the dead fish & live Lobbies.

Not much really but I hope your guys can get something out of it.

Cheers
James

roz
30-12-2005, 04:53 AM
Garry,

I have emailed you a story & photo.

Good Story there Pete!

roz

roz
30-12-2005, 05:04 AM
Garry,

Could you expand a little on the 'takmefishing' campaign? Is its purpose to raise the profile of fishing in general, or to help young children from disfunctional families...

It sounds like a good idea.

mattooty
30-12-2005, 05:13 AM
I can remember when we were building our house, my dad would be working on the house and would have al the workers around him helping. So one day mum took me to the river, and me, being 4 was ecstatic. On my first cast i managed a nice little bream. Nowhere near legal but for me it was a bloody marlin. It pulled, looked good and i had caught a fish.
From that day on, everytime i drove past the river, sea, creeks, and channels, my blood ran faster, my heart pumped quicker, just the thought of catching another one
Matt

gif
30-12-2005, 05:39 AM
Thanks for all so far

Takemefishing is a campaign that is an umbrella - to promote fishing generally

The issue is that fishing takes time - and we are time poor (soccer ballet etc etc ) and so we look for instant solutions like Video games, and McDonalds.

We can’t make fishing instant, so we need to remind people that even though fishing takes a few hours it is valuable time. Time that memories are made of and important time that connects people.

Listen to 4BC Dave Downie’s Talking Fishing this weekend to hear some more and some of the USA adds

I don’t want to be mysterious but I would like to leave the rest of the details until it is ready for launch in a few months - but I promise to tell you guys first!

Gary

Volvo
30-12-2005, 05:55 AM
Gary,commend the effort and think most will assist in whatever takes to get the message across but i think it will take a majority stand in the sand somewhere along the line to keep what weve had the pleasure of enjoying for so long to a sensible extent..
Cheers

gif
30-12-2005, 06:09 AM
Volvo

This is part of the big picture. Winning the hearts and minds of the public

shhhhhhhhhhhhh

Gary

bidkev
30-12-2005, 06:31 AM
Gary, I can't use specifics (names etc) due to confidentiality but I have always endeavoured to introduce every foster kid (that has been placed here) to fishing.

My current charges (which came to me for 3 days 6 yrs ago) ;D had never seen a beach, dam, or rain forest prior to coming to me. The look on their faces when I first took them camping at the pin and they saw a dolphin, is etched on my memory forever and would pluck at the most cynical person's heartstrings. For a short while I even forgot about fishing myself just to watch the awe and wonderment on their faces. Throughout those 6 yrs I have never ceased to wonder as I have watched these kids become proficient in their chosen sports.

I believe that the first early successes (and failures) at fishing instilled in them the disciplines of perseverance, observation, and application, and this has lead them to become more proficient in other sports and other aspects of their lives. It has given them the self respect and hence the self-discipline to excel in other areas. They are more aware of their environment and more responsible young citizens.

I strongly believe that what a child learns via fishing leads them to self discipline, which goes a long way in negating those behaviours that lead to *imposed* discipline. Yes, it may seem far-fetched, but I do believe that kids who fish are better behaved, and more responsible kids, more in tune with nature and their environment. This is a side of our sport that is not often realised. I could expand on this theme and their other experiences of helping me with the boat etc, using these kids (anonymously) if you wish.

cheers

kev

Volvo
30-12-2005, 06:50 AM
Gary, they say a picture sez a thousand words:)..Why not add a collection of photos of children and their Dads/Grandads of yesteryear Fishing trips..
Sure bringing a youngun into the world of fishing would have to be better than having them sittin about playing "Doom" or whatever on the PC lol..
Cheers

gif
30-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Hi Guys

This has been in professional production for about 8 years so its not the basics I need at this stage.

Yes - spot on Photography will be key to the images. Without boring you with all the work that has been done - my current task is to Australianize the US program. But I dont want you to see it - in case it biases your inputs!.

So What I really need is some very short stories, a few words about that special day fishing with Dad or kids or ... whoever

Some have been sent to me privately, rather than post here you could email to me at g.fooks@uq.net.au

Thanks !!

Gary

Volvo
30-12-2005, 09:05 AM
How short?????. or long fer that matter??..

gif
30-12-2005, 09:11 AM
its not the length -- it the "reality" and "inspiration" that ONLY you can give that will help professional writers turn your expereinces into advertising slogans and inspirational stories

cheers Volvo! I appreciate your energy

Gary

gif
31-12-2005, 08:09 AM
Cheers Kev

Along similar lines

My eldest boy has been competing in Bass electric competitions sicen he was 13. often the only competitor under 30 or so. It has been great to see him rise to the challenge ... its been a real maturing experience.

keep them coming Ausfishers!

Gary

Sportfish_5
31-12-2005, 09:29 AM
In case you have not seen the US web sites here are the links

----->>>> http://www.takemefishing.org/
----->>>> http://www.rbff.org/

They do a good job promoting the cause.

Sounds like a great idea Gary. There is a lot more potential there to take this even further via education programs at schools etc as they do in the states. Agree that some of the ad campaigns in the states may not suit Australia but there are some great resources there that should not be disregarded because it is US. No need to reinvent the wheel - just change the tyre for the conditions.

Cheers

Greg

stevedemon
31-12-2005, 10:45 AM
HI all
well Garry you ask for it so you will get it

I can go back to when i was a pup ( ;D no comments require ;D) I was taught to fish by my Grand father a Woy Woy on the Central Coast of N.S.W Black Fishing these where some of the most enjoyable days that will always stick with along with spending time with my Father in his boat on Pittwater N.S.W around Lion Island, Mackeral beach, Basin and in the Hawksbury i have also been with my Uncles in there trawlers from the Hawksbury river these where days that will say with me as i have tried to spend time teaching my Children and Step-children the joys of just beening on the water and if you catch a fish that is a bonus but more so seeing #the looks on there faces when they caught a fish is memory's that will say with me a takes me back to thinking what my Grand Fathers, Dad and My uncles would have felt just seeing there smiling faces was more reward than the thank you's you get #from them or the hug's that go with enjoyment hope this helps as my Grand Fathers have passed away but the memory's they gave me will always remain. :'( ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

P.S i should say that my Grand-Fathers have been gone now for over ten years but they are still in my thoughts and heart every day and every time i go fishing

if you need a hand send me a pm

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-) # #