PDA

View Full Version : Lobby groups. Your opinion.

Big_unit
28-12-2005, 10:12 AM
I am concerned that I might not be the only member of a certain lobby group that does not recieve any information as to the parties directions on various issues that I consider to be important, hence the reason I joined the party to start with. I assumed that I would be kept up to date on issues that concern me, so far I have recieved one emailed newsletter some months ago now. This is not good enough for a party that claims to be leading the recreational fisherman and thier children towards a future where we will still be allowed to enjoy our hobby/sport. So I have put a poll together to find out if I am the only person who feels this way.

Cheers
James

saphire
28-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Even if we dont agree with the views of certain Lobby Groups its important to have them.
They help us to see the world in different ways. Maybe examine an issue in a way that we have not done so before.

Derek_Bullock
28-12-2005, 10:35 AM
James, why do you have the results of the poll hidden?

Thanks for the explanation.

Sometimes you have to seek out information as it doesnt always just come your way. I think I know the group you are referring to. They do have a very good website that contains a lot of information and sending out information takes time and money that most small groups have very little of.

Derek

Big_unit
28-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Even if we dont agree with the views of certain Lobby Groups its important to have them. #
They help us to see the world in different ways. #Maybe examine an issue in a way that we have not done so before.

I am not opposed to lobby groups. I am a member of a lobby group. I am dissapointed by the lack of information and direction the lobby group provides.

Cheers
James

Big_unit
28-12-2005, 11:13 AM
James, why do you have the results of the poll hidden?

Thanks for the explanation.

Sometimes you have to seek out information as it doesnt always just come your way. #I think I know the group you are referring to. #They do have a very good website that contains a lot of information and sending out information takes time and money that most small groups have very little of.

Derek

The results are hidden to try to get a more honest result.

When I joined the group I was led to believe that I would be kept informed and also be given some guidance, so that I could make an informed and beneficial decision.

Cheers
James

Derek_Bullock
28-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Have you spoken to them rather tham complaining on here.

Derek

Dug
28-12-2005, 11:19 AM
I have in the past been a member of a lobby group it is essential that there is a clear and open 2 way exchange of ideas and information everyone should know what is happening ALL the time.

Big_unit
28-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Derek
I opened a poll which simply asked open questions, you then decided to try and dissect it. You do not appear to understand what I am trying to achieve here, even after I have tried to explain it to you. Perhaps it would be better if you did not confuse the issues any further with your comments.

Cheers
James

Big_unit
28-12-2005, 11:27 AM
I have in the past been a member of a lobby group it is essential that there is a clear and open 2 way exchange of ideas and information everyone should know what is happening ALL the time.

Thanks Dug, that is my point precisely.

Cheers
James

PinHead
28-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Interesting question..BUT...most lobby groups are apolitical...if not then they are usually a political party or another organisation such as a conservation council who are far from apolitical. As with any organisation be it a sporting group, a political party or a lobby group..you will only ever get out what you are prepared to put in...if youy only want to send along a membership form and then expect to be advised regarding all decisions being made then that is not going to happen...that is what the executive is for...to make recommendations to meetings which are then voted on by those present at the meeting or...in some instances...the executive is vested with the authority under their constitution to make decisions without reference to the members regarding this. Alas James...unless you go to meetings of any group you will not be privy to what really happens.

Big_unit
28-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Just to further explain my question,

Do you feel that lobby groups provide us with enough detailed information & direction to make a desirable & valuable decision ?

Do you think that lobby groups could provide better direction to effectively give the group a more united and coercive front ?

Please leave a comment if you feel you need to answer in more detail.

Voting is multiple choice and guests are able to vote.

Cheers
James

Derek_Bullock
28-12-2005, 05:54 PM
James

I think you need to expand a little here. What do you mean by a lobby group. If you could give an example people may have more of an idea what you mean.

Lobby groups do what you want them to do so I dont understand the question.

Cheers

Derek

Derek_Bullock
28-12-2005, 07:58 PM
I would attend meetings,

1). If I was told when they are on.
2). If they were held.

I know of 1 TFP meeting that I could have attended since I have been a member. Ive been a member for about 12 months.

I have recieved one newsletter from TFP in this time and it did not state when or where any meetings would be held.

I have not been able to find out too much about Sunfish, but according to some maybe I dont look hard enough.

Ive bought this up before with these groups, get professional because at the end of the day the government will not listen to an outfit that isnt co-ordinated and professional.

Cheers
James

I dont think I was confusing the issue at all. Maybe you should have stated your case straight up instead of running a poll. Or maybe you should have just run a poll with a yes no answer about the Fishing Party as this seems to be your gripe.

I am not a Fishing Party member but I dont think you are doing their cause any good by this thread. Maybe you should take your concerns straight to Kevin Collins the Chairman. His email address is kc@whitsunday.net.au, however I am sure he will respond here in due course.

You could also talk to Sunfish Fraser Coast which is your local branch. Their website is http://www.sunfish.com.au/index.html Not sure who is the current secretary but the phone number is 07 4128 0700 and email address is secretary@sunfish.com.au

James I am not stirring the pot here but believe people need to get out and do things and not sit back and expect others to do it for them.

Derek

Big_unit
28-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Crikey Derek my whole point is that, how can I or any other member be involved / active if there is no information forth coming in regards to the issues and in particular the meetings. Maybe I am not doing TFP cause any good with this thread, although last time I got vocal about the problems it seems some action was taken but sadly no follow up has been done. I believe that TFP needs to be committed to ensuring the members are kept informed. I dont think it really does anything to damaging to get these grassroot issues into the spotlight.

TFP website has 24 users, that is hardly a far reaching medium. I use the website.

dasher
28-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Just to further explain my question,

Do you feel that lobby groups provide us with enough detailed information & direction to make a desirable & valuable decision ? #

Do you think that lobby groups could provide better direction to effectively give the group a more united and coercive front ?

Please leave a comment if you feel you need to answer in more detail.

Voting is multiple choice and guests are able to vote.

Cheers
James

James all lobby groups relying on volunteers to run it will have trouble not only assimilating information but also getting it out to interested parties. Without fundingm, all costs come from the volunteers pockets which really inhibits the chance of publicity. As these groups grow so do the numbers of willing workers, which in turn gets the message out further and hopefully results in more members and more workers and so the group grows and the input and output grows with it. Not all people that are members of a group have access to a computer, so the cost of producing and posting a newsletter can be quite expensive for an unfunded group, as such they are not produced too regular. Most groups have their own website with forums and will readilly answer questions posed on the site ASAP. I agree more info would be great but it's not always possible, but I must say Derek is doing an excellent job bringing some very pertinent articles to our attention and he should be congratulated for the time he has spent finding them. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

darryl_l
28-12-2005, 10:56 PM
James,

Unless a group is at least State wide then what ever they do will not be considered by the majority of people, pollies etc. Some larger groups with some form of government funding tend to lend their ideas toward the people in power at that time so as not to lose funding and those with no funding appear to oppose these same ideas. Sorry if that sounds too black and white but I have seen it happen all too often.

Darryl L

raefpud
28-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Lobby group or political party you are talking about James? I'm not sure, can someone explain the difference to me, excuse me for my ignorance - and James, is it the Fishing Party you are talking about or indirectly reffering to here?

dasher
28-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Lobby group or political party you are talking about James? I'm not sure, can someone explain the difference to me, excuse me for my ignorance - and James, is it the Fishing Party you are talking about #or indirectly reffering to here?

Can't be The Fishing Party, they have a website with an open forum for all to ask any questions re what is going on. :-? The link is in my sig. ::)

Big_unit
28-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Interesting question..BUT...most lobby groups are apolitical...if not then they are usually a political party or another organisation such as a conservation council who are far from apolitical. As with any organisation be it a sporting group, a political party or a lobby group..you will only ever get out what you are prepared to put in...if youy only want to send along a membership form and then expect to be advised regarding all decisions being made then that is not going to happen...that is what the executive is for...to make recommendations to meetings which are then voted on by those present at the meeting or...in some instances...the executive is vested with the authority under their constitution to make decisions without reference to the members regarding this. Alas James...unless you go to meetings of any group you will not be privy to what really happens.

I would attend meetings,

2). If they were held.

I know of 1 TFP meeting that I could have attended since I have been a member. Ive been a member for about 12 months.

I have recieved one newsletter from TFP in this time and it did not state when or where any meetings would be held.

I have not been able to find out too much about Sunfish, but according to some maybe I dont look hard enough.

Ive bought this up before with these groups, get professional because at the end of the day the government will not listen to an outfit that isnt co-ordinated and professional.

Cheers
James

dasher
29-12-2005, 09:37 AM

I would attend meetings,

2). If they were held.

Cheers
James

James read page 3 again mate. ;) ;D

also check out reply on other site. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Big_unit
29-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Daryl,
One meeting in 12 months is a pathetic effort. Have there been other meetings ? None that I know of.

So is TFP going to put in more effort and better inform the members or not ?

Read my response on the other site.

juicyfruit
29-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Big Unit

I wish to see the result of your poll.

Juicy

roz
29-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Me as well Juicy, how about it James?

Roz

Derek_Bullock
29-12-2005, 05:35 PM
I think maybe James does actually have a good point. Below is an extract from the Fishing Party constitution from their website. It clearly states that the party will hold a number of special general meetings annually at dates set by the executive; and Notice of special general meetings is to be made available to all members with a minimum of 14 days notice.

Cheers

Derek

Meetings

The party will hold an AGM annually on or about March of each year.

The party will advise all members of the AGM date with a minimum of 30 days notice.

The party will hold a number of special general meetings annually at dates set by the executive.

Notice of special general meetings is to be made available to all members with a minimum of 14 days notice.

The executive committee will hold a series of closed meetings annually for policy and campaign purposes. 5 members of the executive will form a quorum.

juicyfruit
29-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Cheers for that Derek.

I am always seeking knowledge on the different fishing groups/parties etc.

I was and still am curious of the results, even if, in your opinion, James point may be wayward. I'm sure that the voters weren't wayward in their response.

This was said with no disrespect to you Derek, and hope I haven’t worded the above incorrectly to indicate otherwise.

Juicy

Derek_Bullock
29-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Cheers for that Derek.

I am always seeking knowledge on the different fishing groups/parties etc.

I was and still am curious of the results, even if, in your opinion, James point may be wayward. #I'm sure that the voters weren't wayward in their response.

This was said with no disrespect to you Derek, and hope I haven’t worded the above incorrectly to indicate otherwise.

Juicy

It's been a good discussion point Juicy.

Derek

Big_unit
29-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Here you go its open to view but I think it locks out any more voters.

Cheers
James

PS - Admitedly I am not the best writer but I think I made my point in the end.

Derek_Bullock
29-12-2005, 08:37 PM
James thats fine as long as everyone was voting with the Fishing Party in mind and not lobby groups in general.

Time for an official response from the Fishing Party however.

Derek

PS ........... Stop putting yourself down mate. You write quite well. Keep it up.

juicyfruit
29-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Thank you James

Juicy

dasher
29-12-2005, 10:07 PM
James I really don’t know what you really expect for $7 pa, from fishermen that have volunteered their time (and money) to try and correct the injustices currently being pushed onto recreational fisherpersons. This is not a football club it is a political party and such there will always be backroom work that will not be made public for various reasons. You want some sort of professional third major party that has only contested one election with zilch funding; I’m thinking you assume the greens were overnight hits??? It took the greens 20 years to get where they are today and with support from recreational fisherpersons I am sure we can make a difference at the next election. Derek Bullock has posted some excellent information recently and I wonder how many emails you sent to TFPQ with your thoughts on these posts and your ideas as to what we should do. Maybe you consider a political party should think for all 800,000 recreational fisherpersons, hmmm 6 – 12 people deciding your fate??? We can have meetings, would you come up with an agenda????? All our current submissions are freely available on the website. Would you like us to print out the submissions (or better still, you could volunteer) and send them out as a newsletter? You ask for meetings, which are going to achieve nothing more than an excuse for husbands to get out for a drink. If you want to become involved read post’s such as Derek is posting, form an opinion and email TFPQ what you want done about it, or at least your thoughts on it.

For those that are not members of TFPQ please be aware you don’t have to be a member to post on the forum or send constructive emails.

Big_unit
30-12-2005, 12:35 AM
Kev,
I am standing right there beside you and all the guys. I want to be a member that contributes the best way he can. If I was to tick the " Dont care" box I wouldnt be writing this or anything prior to this.

I need information along with some guidance from the senior guys. I feel that if more people are involved and informed that this party will have a base that is unbreakable. I dont see any future in waiting for good things to happen, we have to make it happen.

Its time to get together and create useful long term solutions to these communication issues.

I feel that the direction has got to come from the leaders.

The dormancy that has been present lately is damaging the party both in the short & long term.

Everything I have written here, I have said before one way or another. It is time for answers, solutions & action.

Cheers
James #

Big_unit
30-12-2005, 12:36 AM
James I really don’t know what you really expect for $7 pa, from fishermen that have volunteered their time (and money) to try and correct the injustices currently being pushed onto recreational fisherpersons. This is not a football club it is a political party and such there will always be backroom work that will not be made public for various reasons. You want some sort of professional third major party that has only contested one election with zilch funding; I’m thinking you assume the greens were overnight hits??? It took the greens 20 years to get where they are today and with support from recreational fisherpersons I am sure we can make a difference at the next election. Derek Bullock has posted some excellent information recently and I wonder how many emails you sent to TFPQ with your thoughts on these posts and your ideas as to what we should do. Maybe you consider a political party should think for all 800,000 recreational fisherpersons, hmmm 6 – 12 people deciding your fate??? We can have meetings, would you come up with an agenda????? All our current submissions are freely available on the website. Would you like us to print out the submissions (or better still, you could volunteer) and send them out as a newsletter? You ask for meetings, which are going to achieve nothing more than an excuse for husbands to get out for a drink. If you want to become involved read post’s such as Derek is posting, form an opinion and email TFPQ what you want done about it, or at least your thoughts on it.

For those that are not members of TFPQ please be aware you don’t have to be a member to post on the forum or send constructive emails.

I paid the $22, that was the prescribed membership fee. If its not enough then perhaps the executives should raise the fee, dont complain that the fee set by TFPQ is not enough. I have been told that one member kicked in $100000 to the party, Where did that money go ? How many more significant donations have been made ?

Your right its not a football club but it is a registered political party. A political party should be professional and accountable to its members as many football clubs are.

It may have taken the Greens 20 years to be a force, I dont think we have 20 years to be recognised as a force. Time is not on our side. Sitting back and waiting for people to come up with solutions may not be the best way, perhaps encouraging members with thought provoking discussions would be more suitable.

6 - 12 people who are in the loop, 800,000 who are not in my opinion informed on the issues.

I would participate and develop thoughts/issues given the knowledge and networking that a group discussion would offer.

I would gladly volunteer my time provided that TFPQ at an executive level showed some accountabilty & leadership.

I disagree with your opinion that a TFPQ meeting would be an excuse for members to go out drinking together. Your view surely is not accepted widely within the party is it ?

Lastly while ever the executives of TFPQ dont listen and continue to pass the buck, the party may not see the next election. #

Do you think you provided a reasonable and practical solution to this issue ?

I feel that to be progressive TFPQ needs to adopt some giudelines for keeping members informed whilst providing direction.

I feel you have gone into a very defensive mode which has not provided any solutions.

You have 2 choices here,

1) Write me off as a whinger, who tried to cause problems.

or

2) Use the issues, ideas & solutions I have bought up and create a progressive & practical set of guidelines for the parties benefit.

DaneCross
30-12-2005, 12:44 AM
We post here regularly as our most effective communications forum and if you feel you are in the dark as to what we are up to I can only suggest you read more of this forum.

Every submission, every issue and every cause we fight...you will read about it HERE!

The newsletters, which we would like to produce more regularly are an expense which we just can't keep expecting individuals to pay for....(donations gladely accepted)

We post also on Fishnet and a couple of other sites.

We get a regular run on Talking Fishing on 4BC and a mention on a regular basis in most fishing magazines and BIAQ newsletters.

James, beyond what we are already doing, I have no solution.

How about an 'e-newsletter'? A cheap, bulk emailing program such as 'MailList Controller' might be a more direct/personal way of communicating to members. It seems you are relying on your members to have internet access (by posting issues here and other sites), you may as well email them directly. Just a thought :-/
DC

banshee
30-12-2005, 01:33 AM
Has anybody thought to approach Bush'n'Beach or QLD Fishing Monthly to run a monthly newsletter,surely these QLD based mags would do it gratis.

kc
30-12-2005, 05:04 AM
Hmmm! E newsletter is certainly something we can and will do....trouble is only about 5% of members provided email adresses.

As for "dormancy" I guess we really have a problem if members and supporters think we have been dormant. Have they seen the GBRMPA review submission and the Animal Welfare Act submission?? Any idea the work that went into those??

Meeting in Brisbane/Sydney/Cairns(2)/Townsville & Ayr, all during the last 8 weeks as well as communication with Government/Ministers/Senators/EPA's both state & Federal.

I have tried to rely on the existing communication tools such as this site to "get the word out"....a big issue for us was the Great Sandy Straights re-zoning. Gary and I travelled to Hervey Bay, attended a meeting with 500 locals (from which the Fraser Coast Branch was formed) and compiled a very lenghty and detailed submission.

When advice was posted here for anyone wishing to view the submission....I only got 2 people interested enough to want to read it!!

I post my personal email and phone number regularly for anyone wanting to discuss or bring up issues and get the odd call from interested parties but really very few.............I guess what I would really like is some ideas. How best do you (all) think we can communicate better?

We already send press releases and articals to fishing mags (including Bush & Beach), some they publish, some they choose not to (too political?)....trouble with most of these is that we are talking 30,000 print runs (max) and this does not get to the 500,000+ anglers in the state.

Tackle shops?? Hard nut to crack but we are talking to AFTA (Australian Fishing Tackle Association) and BIAQ (Boating Industry Association of Qld) about this very issue. Difficult part is they are apolitical organisations.

If anyone who can string a few words together wants to draft up articals/stories or raise issues that they think are important to TFPQ, please just run them past me for a final edit/approval and fire away....the more times our name appears in print, clearly the better, just so long as the message is accurate.

I guess this all harks back to the old "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" line!!

Those of us driving this "thing" could really use some help, input ,ideas and above all energy........so far, outside a very few, the silence is deafening.

Regards

KC

gif
30-12-2005, 06:21 AM
Basically I hear KC asking for a volunteer to put together a regular newsletter in an email format. He needs more hands on the pumps.

KC would have to check the final version - but someone would need to write up the "What's happening" and to chase up a few for the details.

Any member volunteers?

kc
30-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Sorry to be late on this thread....work pressures over Christmas have been enourmous.

James is right to critisise the level of communication we are able to have with members...but, this takes resources beyond our capabilities. Even something as simple as a newsletter production and mail-out is about a $1000 exercise and this comes out of someones personal pocket...not party funds.

I also need to make it clear.....there is and never was a $100,000 donations (mores the pity).

The largest donation we ever had was $1000 from a major boat company.

Every cent we raised with memberships and donations was spent on the election, plus about $10,000 out of a personal pocket....all of which is declared to the Electoral Commission as required.

Back to the issues.

We post here regularly as our most effective communications forum and if you feel you are in the dark as to what we are up to I can only suggest you read more of this forum.

Every submission, every issue and every cause we fight...you will read about it HERE!

The newsletters, which we would like to produce more regularly are an expense which we just can't keep expecting individuals to pay for....(donations gladely accepted)

We post also on Fishnet and a couple of other sites.

We get a regular run on Talking Fishing on 4BC and a mention on a regular basis in most fishing magazines and BIAQ newsletters.

Personally (at individual expense) I have travelled to Sydney for a meeting with the board of AFTA, to Brisbane for a meeting with the board of BIAQ, to Cairns for a meeting with Bob Katter, to Townsville for a meeting with the GBRMPA review committee, Ayr to meet the new chairman of QSIA and posted notices on all relavent issues on this site and our party web site....the dissapointing thing is that despite this, we still don't seem to get the message out.

The last newsletter issued an invite to attend and/or have input into the AGM......other than the executive we had three (3) members attend!! That said, Airlie beach is a long way from anywhere and as such we have moved our "base" to Cairns.

James, beyond what we are already doing, I have no solution. We have some great people both as members and guys like Derek and Gary (who are not) who are absolutely brilliant at posting issues and information. We have tireless guys like Daryl, always at it, always helping and always giving of his time. Members like Dave Donald and Gary Smith who are prolific writers in fishing magazines and always keep issues at activities of TFPQ in the press and all of them do it for free. Do it because they believe in the cause and ultimately, I guess, believe in the people involved in this.

The comment about the greens having a 20 year headstart on us is very true. They do, and they have funding and structure and PR and mainstream media support....and, and, and.yet despite all this, after just 7 months in existance and no money we outpolled them North of Mackay.

This was a great start and the fact that we are now being "courted" by all sides of politics is gratifying, it still leaves us a long, long way short of where we need to be.

What I will offer, as I have in the past, to James and anyone else with a bit of fire in the belly. If you relly want to get involved...DO. Form a branch, get a few like minded mates together and form a branch...hard, thankless, time consuming and draining!! There is a standing offer that myself, or one of our executive will fly/drive to where-ever for a formation meeting.....get involved. This is YOUR party and involvement does not stop at $7 a year for 3 years....you will get out of this what you put in. Sadley...apathy continues to be our enemy......lets make it really clear....SHE WON'T BE RIGHT...MATE. We are on a hidding to nothing. TFPQ may not be the answer....but right now, from where I sit, it is the best chance we have.

In the grand scheme of things we have around 1000 members and less than 1% of these who actually contibute (beyond said $7 a year).................I have to say it is pretty bloody disheartening. If I had personally invested the time and money I spend on this to just going fishing, life would be a lot simpler................trouble is we have a tiger by the tail and could really use some help hanging on. So James....how about it?

Regards

KC

Big_unit
31-12-2005, 09:54 AM
I will do it.

Am I going to be supported by other members ?

I think the first newsletter needs to go out via normal land mail to ensure every member recieves it with a questionaire asking for basic information updates eg;

Member contact info -
Name.
Member Number.
Address.
Phone numbers, Telephone, Fax & Mobile.
Email address/s.

Ask if they have any concerns/complaints/suggestions regarding the TFPQ.

Ask if they require membership forms or TFPQ information for new members.

I think that may be a good start, I am sure other members may be able to add to this.

Cheers
James

stevedemon
31-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Hi all
ok james your writing is fine your message came across queit clear
For all ausfish memebers there is some thing on Current affairs or today/tonight about the fishing industry from the public's and the D.P.I point of veiw tonight might get some good info :( :( ;D ;D

James and all Memebers of the Fishing Party try hitting Webby up for a spot in the Bush'n Beach and contact Steve from Fishing Monthly
sorry Webby don't like to put people on the spot or in the spot light of singularitybut I think that in these case the word really needs to get around and any help is well worth the while if it is going to see that our children's children are going to experinence the same enjoyable relaxation of fishing for the future as we do out on the water

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

kc
31-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Thanks for your offer of help James. We have about 1000 members on a data base including names, adresses and member numbers. It is still a $600 job contacting these by snail mail.

Email me your private (e) adress and I will email the data base.

Regards

KC

PinHead
31-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Hi all
ok james your writing is fine your message came across queit clear
For all ausfish memebers there is some thing on Current affairs or today/tonight about the fishing industry from the public's and the D.P.I point of veiw tonight might get some good info :( :( ;D ;D

James and all Memebers of the Fishing Party try hitting Webby up for a spot in the Bush'n Beach and contact Steve from Fishing Monthly
sorry Webby don't like to put people on the spot or in the spot light of singularitybut I think that in these case the word really needs to get around and any help is well worth the while if it is going to see that our children's children are going to experinence the same enjoyable relaxation of fishing for the future as we do out on the water

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

I doubt the editors/s of any fishing publications want to get too involved in anything political. That may affect their sales figures or perhaps advertising revenue...I think they would much rather remain apolitical.

thumps
31-12-2005, 11:11 AM
KC

i recently had a phone conversation with a member of a fishing group that is a-political

is it true that TFP is a federal based and unable at this time to deal with specific State issues?

but rather deal with state issues through the federal system?

just trying to clarify how effective TFP is on State matters at this point

Derek_Bullock
31-12-2005, 11:13 AM
I will do it.

Am I going to be supported by other members ?

I think the first newsletter needs to go out via normal land mail to ensure every member recieves it with a questionaire asking for basic information updates eg;

Member contact info -
Name.
Member Number.
Address.
Phone numbers, Telephone, Fax & Mobile.
Email address/s.

Ask if they have any concerns/complaints/suggestions regarding the TFPQ.

Ask if they require membership forms or TFPQ information for new members.

I think that may be a good start, I am sure other members may be able to add to this.

Cheers
James

James

Have sent you an email with details for setting up an email address/account specifically for the newsletter. If you need a hand setting it up give me a yell.

Cheers and congratulations for taking this on. Dont be surprised if you dont get a lot of help as most people are quite happy to whinge about something but fall very short when it comes to doing something about it. Just ask Kev Collins.

Derek

kc
01-01-2006, 01:22 AM
Hi Thumps,

To answer your question, In Qld, (with no upper house/senate) we have less opportunity to influence outcomes (at this stage) and look to federal elections (senate) to make a "statement".

Once we can post some seriuos numbers (like the 20.6% in Weipa) we can demonstrate to Government (at both state & federal level) that fishos will actually vote to protect their "patch".

That does not mean however that we don't take on state issues (such as Hervey Bay/GSS zoning).......we need to take issue with every threat to our rights to enjoy our lifestyle choices.....and most of these end up being state....it is just that the federal system gives us the best chance of making a major "fuss" and eventually beining noticed.

If any government, suddenly started to recognise that fishing party preferences, were actually more "valuable" than green party preferences it would see a major shift in policy at all levels. This won't happen however without major support from within the ranks of recreational fishers.

Regards

KC

Big_unit
01-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Look I am not so great on the issues but my way of helping is going to be ensuring that everyone who is interested in knowing what is happening generally within the party is kept informed. I have sent Kev the new email address which is -

TFPQNewsletter@ausfish.com.au

Once I know what is expected from me and Kev has given the OK for everything I will start putting it together, I envisage that members should receive the newsletter around the end of this month.

Cheers
James

gif
01-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Go _ Fishing is willing to be more political

check out the current issue

Gary

Big_unit
02-01-2006, 10:59 PM
KC,
You've got mail.

Cheers
James

kc
02-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks James....just home from a 17 hour straight shift & I'm rooted (backs up from 16 hours yesterday)....a pity this enthusiasm comes at the busiest possible time business wise for me but I will get to it.

Thnaks for putting your hand up. It really is appreciated.

KC