PDA

View Full Version : Toadfish Lunch

raefpud
01-01-2006, 04:40 PM
My time in Japan has seen me try many of the various unusual and strange delicacies that Asia has to offer. I have tried and eaten almost anything that swims, mostly raw and fresh from the ocean, but also things like fried grasshoppers, raw horse and various offal of all species, but today was a special day being new years day, and my wifes family decided a special meal was due for me.
First course of the day was Toadfish (Fugu) sashimi and jellyfish (kragen). Now jellyfish tastes like you imagine it would, pretty much like flavourless gelatine or hard clag glue. Toadfish on the other hand isnt all that bad - a simple white fish with fairly firm flesh and little or no flavour. I dont suggest you try filleting the next big toadie you catch, as here it requires a licence and a lot of patience to serve - we ate the fillet, skin and a bit of catilage, and 3 hours later I am still alive and can tell the story. Finally one of my dreams and list of achievements in japan has been fullfilled. Second course was some intestinal mush that tasted absolutley awful, and third course was fresh sushi of raw squid, squid eggs, prawn and the stomach lining of tuna - yum yum - hehehehe - you would be suprised how wasteful us Aussies are of the fish we eat and how careless we are at handling them, believe me when a fish is consumed here nothing is wasted...... would you like to hear what cod testicles taste like???
Happy new year everyone,
cheers, Raef

banshee
01-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Do your lips go numb,or is that BS?

philip_thomson
01-01-2006, 04:47 PM
i think im going to throw up. i think ill stick to cooking the fillet throwing the guts,skin,frame away :-X

roz
01-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Nothing wrong with eating perfectly good burley :o :o :o :o

yummmmmo!

Dug
01-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Sometimes I am glad I don't eat fish :o

Panda
01-01-2006, 06:44 PM
I believe many people each year die in Japan from eating improperly prepared toadfish. Not a risk I would be prepared to take.

Their whale meat is quite tasty though.

2DKnBJ
01-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Raef
I think i will stick to eating the fillets and using the rest for crab bait.
But on the other hand'like i say to my kids"how do you know you don't like it if you have never tried it" ::)
Cheers Dazza

Scott15
01-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Fook that lol :-X

HarryO
01-01-2006, 09:11 PM
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Eating toadfish makes me bloat...

Harry...

raefpud
01-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Hey banshee, yeah the tingle on the lips is BS I think. I have also heard that a really good Fugu chef can slightly pierce the poison glands enough to give u a tingle, but i do think thats BS. The poison and offal of the fish must be locked up in a safe before a professional disposal team comes to take it away. Tonight we also drank Sake with Fugu fins in it, dont know what it did to the sake but I am feeling a bit of a tingle now, hehehehe

rando
01-01-2006, 11:24 PM
The Japanese have a saying; Those that eat Fugu are foolish!. But those that do not eat fugu are foolish also

banshee
01-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Mate I hope you shouted the chef a few rounds,wouldn't want to be geting on his bad side for the return bout with the Toady.

SuRF_fIsHeR
03-01-2006, 12:17 PM
i cant believe u people eat toad fish, the mere sight of em makes me wanna throw up :-X :-/

Jitlands
03-01-2006, 12:21 PM
What a happy little note about our Japanise friends, perhaps you can ask them about the current "whale for research" harvest or the annual dolphin cull?

ssab1
03-01-2006, 12:57 PM
maybe if we send them all our toadfish theyll stop"WHALE RESEARCH"i will even prepare it for the whalers ;) ;) ;D

raefpud
03-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Dont go digging yourself a hole by starting up the whale debate again, I think its probably something you know very little about.

Big_Ren
03-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Sounds delicious Raef ;) Makes the old salmon milkshake with the dollop of vasoline sound very appealing indeed now. Fascinating info nevertheless.

Cheers
Paul

redspeckle
03-01-2006, 07:51 PM
reafpud
If I know where into Eating Toad Fish I would have keep the one last time when fish Mud on friday when about 4kg he had better teeth than me [smiley=grin.gif]
Get some big toad fish fish and Catfish their around Mud Island
Mitch

ssab1
03-01-2006, 08:52 PM
no point in debating with people who make assumptions .raefpud.. ;D ;D

88fishframe
03-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Can't say that eating toadfish appeals to me anymore than licking canetoads. The closest I'll come to living life on the edge is my next meal of whiting with the bones left in. ;D

onerabbit
03-01-2006, 09:22 PM
maybe if we send them all our #toadfish theyll stop"WHALE RESEARCH"i will even prepare it for the whalers ;) ;) ;D
your welcome to all of mine, ssab1, so long as you cut em up, muzz.

roz
04-01-2006, 03:28 PM
no point in debating with people who make assumptions .raefpud.. ;D ;D
:exclamation :exclamation [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

gogecko
04-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback raefpud. Ive always wanted to try fugi prepared by a proper chef, but only cause I thought it'd be a good buzz. Sounds like its a waste of money. I hear its very expensive? Would they prepare it stronger if you asked?

Might be better off with the dealers on the street corner. I thought it was supposed to be as potent as magic mushies.

Perhaps we could export our canetoads as well?