PDA

View Full Version : Crab Pots

PinHead
08-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Maybe this has been discussed previously, I don't know. Several members have said they do not have floats on their crab pots and sink them and use a gaff or something similar to locate them. That makes sense to me to try and keep your gear away from the thieves but......from the Qld Govt website:

"Crab pots or dillies
Up to 4 crab pots or dillies (or a combination of pots and dillies) may be used per person. When fishing for mud crabs and blue swimmer crabs a person in possession of the apparatus must be at least 15 years old. Crab pots and dillies must be marked by an identifying tag bearing the surname and address of the owner. When not fixed to something they must have attached a light coloured surface float, not less than 15cm in any dimension, with the name of the owner clearly inscribed on it. Regulated crabs must be removed and returned to the water immediately."

Would sinking them then be against the regulations as it says that if not fixed to something they must have a float attached.

2DKnBJ
08-01-2006, 06:12 PM
I always tied a house brick to the rope this way they were always fixed to something.If you were running the pots all tied to the same line you can also use a small sand pick off the first pot.
Cheers Dazza

bidkev
08-01-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm with Dazza, although a house brick could be interpreted as not being fixed (it can be moved).

To avoid theft, sink them with a rope attached to an underwater mangrove branch/root and memorise position although appearances are *very* different at differing stages of the tide.

Obviously, low water is best as this means the rope is more dificult to be sighted. Never use a long string as this means if a thief finds one......he finds the lot. Two at a time with the rope on the bottom of the pot and stretched tight lowering the 2nd pot as low as possible by hand. This way the rope doesn't rise up.

All taught to me by me good mate, Ross, and if anyone can find the muddies, he can........that's why I value him as a mate ;) ;D

kev

kev

NeilD
08-01-2006, 07:26 PM
I tie them to a Mangrove usually. I will probably get done for interferring with a protected species ;D ;D

dynamicspot
08-01-2006, 07:45 PM
i put mine in a creek only accessible at high tide at 6 in the arvo pending on tide pick them up in the morning no probs yet except for mud and crabs

Greg