PDA

View Full Version : sharks at amity

snapperbasher
08-01-2006, 07:09 PM
hey guys,

Just to add my two cents worth.I was spearfishing at amity about 5 weeks ago .I had speared a 4kg sweety and two black bream i had the sweety tied to my weight belt and the black bream on about 6ft of telecom rope. I was floating in the water and talking to the other two guys when something pulled me under the water at great speed ripping the goggles from my face then it went slack when i got myself together i realised the telecom rope was bitten clean off.Puts the wind up ya!.As terrible as it was that a young girl got taken it is no suprise as big sharks move up and down the rainbow all the time especially this time of year.

NeilD
08-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Thats one spot I would never tether a fish to me. Poor vis and big noah's. I think you got off lightly with the lost fish

HarryO
08-01-2006, 08:58 PM
HEAR HEAR !!

Big_unit
09-01-2006, 12:01 AM
OK you win. Its a wonder more people arent killed by Sharks.

Cheers
James

MulletMan
09-01-2006, 12:20 AM
In your example of being harrassed by the shark whilst diving, I reckon it is always a great idea to tell the local marine rescue unit or the Water Police............... !!!!!!!!!
Wisdon of hindsight I know but by doing this you might (?) at least generate a warning being put out............... even a sign on the beach?
I reckon the next place for a shark attack is inside the Tangalooma wrecks where there are some big bull sharks as well..... and lots of dangly legs and arms!

DICER
09-01-2006, 05:24 AM
nice schools of trevors there as well!!

I think anywhere in those alleys (eg. tiger shark alley etc). Actually I've seen a ~4+ meter shark feeding off the end of tangalooma jetty at night doing umpteen feeding runs. Rather awesome with phosphoresence in the water and fish going everywhere. It was probably a tiger too. Furthermore I 've seen a school of over 200 sharks come through and blacken the bottom there - they were about 1.5 metres long - probably bull sharks.

Would I go in the water after dark there - no definitely not!!

I think you're lucky with the fish on the telecom rope. I would always chuck the fish out of water if I had speared one.

What is Doug Hanning doing these days???

pittymick
09-01-2006, 06:32 AM
hey snapperbasher, you want your too sence worth, i think thats all you might have...( no offence) but no one ties fish two there belt unless you want to donate a kidney to a bull shark, and it does,nt sound like your killing your fish, all fish must be brained with a knife so that there stone dead( its easy to make this mistake if your starting out ) so be careful out there bud cause a shark is a predeter and is always ready for a easy feed, and if your not killing your fish on capture he,ll zone in real quick and grab a good feed of your float line. ::) didn,t mean to be harsh but with what just happened with that girl and all, just not good. anyway happy hunting

DICER
10-01-2006, 09:25 AM
6ft of telecom cord - must of been a small one hey?? :o

brentasauros
10-01-2006, 09:29 AM
hey snapperbasher, you want your too sence worth, i think thats all you might have...( no offence) but no one ties fish two there belt unless you want to donate a kidney to a bull shark, and it does,nt sound like your killing your fish, all fish must be brained with a knife so that there stone dead( its easy to make this mistake if your starting out ) so be careful out there bud cause a shark is a predeter and is always ready for a easy feed, and if your not killing your fish on capture he,ll zone in real quick and grab a good feed of your float line. ::) didn,t mean to be harsh but with what just happened with that girl and all, just not good. anyway happy hunting

Testify!