PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Dangers

Derek_Bullock
08-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Is fishing becoming more dangerous or are people taking unnecessary risks. #We have seen recent deaths in Moreton Bay however they are happening more and more frequently.

Derek

Drowning Of Rock Fisherman – Coffs Harbour

6 January 2006

A rock fisherman has drowned after being washed off a rock wall on the state’s mid-north coast yesterday.

About midday (5 January), a 30-year-old Bonville man was fishing with a friend off the southern break wall of the Coffs Harbour Boat Harbour when he was washed from the wall by a wave.

The man’s friend attempted to help him from the water by throwing him a rope.

Whilst trying to climb out of the water the man struck and injured his head on rocks causing him to lose consciousness.

The man was seen to float face down in the water. The turbulent sea conditions prevented anyone from entering the water without risking their own safety.

Police from Coffs Harbour, Water Police and SES personnel attended the scene and retrieved the body a short time later.

Police are not treating the death as suspicious and will prepare a report for the Coroner.

Third NSW fishermen found dead

06jan06

THE body of a man - the third fisherman to die in New South Wales this year - has been discovered on a muddy river bank north of Newcastle.

The body has been identified as that of 32-year-old Rodney Paul Towers, who was fishing with his cousin off the Tourle Street Bridge at Mayfield about 12.30am (AEDT) today.

Mr Towers apparently fell from the bridge into the Hunter River and drowned.

Emergency crews were called to the scene but could not locate Mr Towers until a member of the public saw the body washed up on the northern bank of the river, 3km west of the bridge about 7am today.

Mr Towers, who was formally identified by family today, is the third person to die fishing in NSW this year after a rock fisherman was swept from a rock wall on the NSW mid-north coast yesterday.

Police said the 30-year-old Bonville man was fishing with a friend off the southern breakwall of the Coffs Harbour boat harbour about noon when a wave washed him from the wall.

His friend threw him a rope but the man hit his head on rocks while trying to climb out of the water and lost consciousness.

He was seen floating face down but dangerous conditions prevented anyone risking their lives by entering the water.

Coffs Harbour Police, Water Police and State Emergency Service personnel retrieved his body a short time later.

Another rock fisherman, a 42-year-old man from Sydney, also died at Gerroa, on the south coast, on January 3 in similar circumstances.

Police reports were being prepared for the coroner regarding all three deaths

Search on for man swept to sea

January 08, 2006

A SEARCH is under way on the New South Wales mid-north coast for a teenager swept off rocks.

The 18-year-old man was walking with four friends on rocks at Grassy Head Beach, near Kempsey, about 4.30pm (AEDT) yesterday when a big wave swept them all into the water, police said.

His friends managed to swim back safely, but the 18-year-old went missing.

Police, the Trial Bay Volunteer Coastal Patrol, the Westpac helicopter and a private helicopter were initially called into the search, which was suspended due to fading light last night.

It has resumed this morning with the Kempsey police, Coffs Harbour water police, the State Emergency Service (SES), Polair and police divers involved.

BAIT_MAN
08-01-2006, 08:34 AM
As sad as this is It just goes to show how many people under estermate the power of the sea and what it can do to you with out warning.

banshee
08-01-2006, 08:39 AM
"More people die fishing the rocks than any other recreational or sporting pursuit in this country." I cannot count the number of times I've read or heard this over the last ten years,must be some element of truth to it.

martini
08-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Dereck
Our population is growing fast and there have allways been accidents at sea but it is more publisized these days with the media trying to sell more news and the internet so easily available. I had not read about the trawler dude with his kids but I know a lot more after reading the novel on these chat pages.

My father used to fish outside with the boat club in the sixties and I know of two boats around 30-35ft that had there cabins moved back a foot after being hit by big waves while going over the south pasage bar. And what about the spearfisherman that was lost off flat rock.

We towed a 35fter up the Brisbane river after he broke down at the boat passage and a classic was two kids were jumping our wash as we were going past Hawthorne. They fliped their dingy and we had to go back and pull them out.
Accidents hapen all the time even with all the education and media exposure but it is hard to beat the IDIOT FACTOR out there

I think we just hear more about fishing accidents and other things as our world shrinks even more.

Cheers Noel

familyman
08-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Like pilots,there are many bold fisherman and many old fisherman but not many old,bold fisherman. :(
cheers jon

bushbeachboy
08-01-2006, 08:02 PM
It might have something to do with the time of year. More people out doing things outdoors, including fishing, probably means that there will be more accidents. Has there been a corresponding increase in accidents surrounding other outdoor activities?

HarryO
08-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi Derek, & all..

I remember reading in the Guinness record book that
fishing had the dubious double honour of being the
worlds "most dangerous" profession, and as well the
"most dangerous" recreational pursuit..

Time will pass and most of the population will forget
about the dangers, and become complacent again...

There seems to be an increasing percentage of the
population that have a "she'll be right" attitude,
I guess thats why the SAR groups keep getting busier.

Tragic...

Harry.

sf17fisherman
10-01-2006, 05:02 PM
with all the talk about culling sharks then maybe we should also cull some rockfisherman or some rocks as they seem way more dangours than any shark :P

jimfisher
10-01-2006, 05:23 PM
No! Fishing is not becoming more dangerous.

Its the uneducated that underestimate the power.
Never fish alone on rocks & only where there is a life line instaled, if you dont have rope.
And it doesnt end here, you also have idiots that go out on boats before a storm strikes. I have witnessed this quite a few times.
Because NO fish is worth a Life.

Jim

DICER
10-01-2006, 06:01 PM
The risk of loss of life from fishing in the North Sea from a ship can be up to 1 in 400. Some crab boats that work in canada operate at 1 in 200 - highly hazardous for human life.

The risk from day to day life is around 1 in 42800.

Has anyone calculated the risk either boat or rock fishing in Australia?

roz
10-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Driving on our roads seems to be more risky.

Well..... I don't know if that is a fair comparison to make. But what can be done to prevent people taking risks rock fishing.

Like drinking and driving, everyone knows the risks but they still do it.

More education perhaps??

roz

Big_Ren
10-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Roz and Jimfisher summed it up well but I would also add in the need for common sense, good planning and above all, respect for the ocean and our other waterways.

Cheers
Paul ;)

bungie
10-01-2006, 09:49 PM
sf17fisherman

We dont need to cull the rock fishermen, nature is doing it for us :-X

2iar
11-01-2006, 04:18 PM
I don't really see how fishing itself can be any more dangerous now than it was in previous generations. The ocean's the same now as it was then. In fact, it's probably safer now than in the past with life rings presumably more common on jetties, rocks etc than in the past.

Perhaps there's just a greater number of people doing it, and a subsequent proliferation of boats and anglers about. The number of fatalities is probably proportional to the amount of anglers in each era. Just my opinion of course.

Good luck, and stay safe.

Mike

Billo
11-01-2006, 07:27 PM
No , not more Dangerous ...just more moorons fishing !