PDA

View Full Version : lobsters in the Bay

brett_rokesky
10-01-2006, 10:44 PM
I caught this bugger in Coby passage around 18 months ago on a piece of mullet fillet.

I was just wondering has anyone ever seen/caught or heard of these around the bay???

stevedemon
11-01-2006, 01:43 AM
Hi brettrock
about 2 yrs ago i hooked one down the gold coast just out from little Crab island a painted lobster apparently they use to catch them just out of the seaway on the close reefs but that is as much as i can tell you

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

devocean
11-01-2006, 07:10 AM
Ornate Painted Cray they are a migratory cray which move long distances. They are quite coomon all the way up the coast and can grow a lot bigger than that. When they move they move in numbers of hundreds and sometimnes thousands. Nt bad eating that size though the bigger ones can be tough

Rainbowrunner
11-01-2006, 07:26 AM
seen a few shells and feelers sticking out around tangalooma wrecks.

brett_rokesky
11-01-2006, 08:10 AM
I thought it might of been a cray :P
as lobsters have a claw don't they?

thumps
11-01-2006, 08:15 AM
I thought it might of been a cray :P
as lobsters have a claw don't they?

This group of crustaceans has a confusing number of names, including crayfish, cray, lobster, rock lobster and spiny lobster.

Generally speaking, the name crayfish is used to describe those large marine crustaceans without claws. Lobsters, on the other hand, have extremely large and well-developed claws which can inflict a painful wound to careless humans - but are extremely good to eat.

The most commonly encountered species on the Great Barrier Reef are the Painted Crayfish (Panulirus versilcolor) and the Ornate Crayfish (Panulirus ornatus), both of which are brightly coloured. Painted crayfish can be identified easily by a stripe running down their legs, whereas the legs of the ornate crayfish are patterned by a series of bands.

A pair of long slender antennae extending from under a coral ledge is generally the first indicator of the presence of crayfish.

http://www.reefed.edu.au/explorer/animals/marine_invertebrates/crustaceans/lobsters.html

brentasauros
11-01-2006, 08:54 AM
good..eating..that..size..

I've..dived..for..em..their.is.a.few..good..spots. .around.

Billo
11-01-2006, 07:38 PM
When they move they move in numbers of hundreds and sometimnes thousands.

so your saying if one comes aboard ..get your ass over the side and in the water with a big ass net and dive dive dive ???? ;D.

2DKnBJ
11-01-2006, 08:53 PM
About 8 yrs back i pulled one in while fishing down the Pin.At the time i thought it may have been due to the weather conditions at the time.Typical Easter weather.The same day i also caught squire and sweetlip from the same hole i was fishing in.
Cheers Dazza

Mick
12-01-2006, 11:11 AM
When they move they move in numbers of hundreds and sometimnes thousands.

so your saying if one comes aboard ..get your ass over the side and in the water with a big ass net and dive dive dive ???? ;D.

Yes, but they march at night..... if you are still keen to jump over (remember it is illegal to dive with a torch when spearfishing in QLD) then you deserve everyone you get.