PDA

View Full Version : Fact Or Fallacy - Animals Attract Sharks

Derek_Bullock
08-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Yesterdays shark attack at Amity Point has raised an age old debate - do animals in the water attract sharks. Well known shark expert Rodney Fox today commented on it.

The fact the woman was swimming with an animal and late in the afternoon could have contributed to the shark attack, he said.

"It's known ... not to swim with animals - I don't know how much that contributed in this particular case but it's a certainly one of the guidelines," Mr Fox said.

What are your views ? ? ? ? ?

Cheers

Derek

straddie
08-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Heya Derek

The details I have seen are very muddy, reports have had the attack ranging from the rainbow channel to flinders beach and there was also mention she may have been spear fishing.

I do know when I read a dog was swimming with her it got a response from me, it was something I was told to never do from a very young age. Is it an old wives tale? don't know but I do know quite a few dogs have been taken in a very short space of them entering the water in areas where people often swim.

brentasauros
08-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Yes it made me wonder if the dog helped attract the shark also. The fact that their was potential victims outside her at the time. I feel sorry for the dog and all the family of the poor girl.

thumps
08-01-2006, 04:29 PM
late in the afternoon?????

well known time for Shark attack...and more fish activity..(who doesn't fish low light options)

animals????

have a stronger odour than humans in the water...are smaller size and appear a better "mouthful" and make more subsurface noise due to their body shape and the way the move in the water..ie 4 legs make more noise than two

put them together...and i think you have an answer

ssab1
08-01-2006, 04:46 PM
tend to agree with thumps, dogs swimming action is quite vibratory could send signals of distress to shark.who knows very sad event.

Darryl
08-01-2006, 04:49 PM
If that's the case then why didn't it eat the dog?

brentasauros
08-01-2006, 04:51 PM
because..there..was..no..dog

btw..no..spacebar...hence.......... ::)

ssab1
08-01-2006, 05:05 PM
we will never know crestcutter.. maybe sighted girl first..never said sharks are partial to dogs only that swimming action likely to attract em.have you ever slapped the water to attract yellas or clicked metal to attract eels..try it.cheers alex

robersl
08-01-2006, 06:16 PM
i was told never to swim with the dog as they attack sharks from a young age also know of a dog taken at clontarf ramp as well

Darryl
08-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Yeah i know you didn't say they were partial to dogs Alex but was just wondering why wouldn't the shark concentrate on that particular noise or smell and not detour off to another target?Especially after swimming past swimmers that were further out?

Not having a go bud......

Rex.....It's.....All........good......mate.... lol :D

rabbitohbill
08-01-2006, 06:23 PM
dog/ furseal with a tail?

Skipsta
08-01-2006, 07:41 PM
You maybe right, but the victim did not have a dog at all. That is another example of the media who lacking the facts will latch onto any half snippet of anything that comes the way when the full story is not available to them >:(

fourfingers
08-01-2006, 08:06 PM
When we went to cape york the locals told us to take a dog on our travels and when we wanted to cross a creek or river to throw a ball and let the dog retreive it to see if there were any crocs about. Crocs love dogs, so they say!!!

Tony

skippa
08-01-2006, 09:04 PM
What are your views ? ? ? ? ?

Cheers

Derek

Fact or fiction Derek I dunno, but we where always taught from a young age never to swim with animals where sharks are know to frequent. Could be the way they swim, their smell or their size but it would be interesting to see some data.

cheers,
Tony 8-)

bungie
08-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Last report I heard was it was three bull sharks. And the police are investigating ....... what they gonna do, snorkel and flippers interrogating the local cod father ??

fishingnottake
08-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Yeah i know you didn't say they were partial to dogs Alex but was just wondering why wouldn't the shark concentrate on that particular noise or smell and not detour off to another target?Especially after swimming past swimmers that were further out?

Not having a go bud...... #

Rex.....It's.....All........good......mate.... lol #:D
dog could work like qa witch doctor for marlin, gets them in and excited.

Darryl
09-01-2006, 07:12 AM
Lmao @ the Cod Father...It's a joke , they have one drum line out and expect to catch the exact three bullsharks that did it. :-/

Could be right Fishingnottaken...

DICER
09-01-2006, 07:38 AM
even catfish take dogs in europe - beware of walking your poodle; one old lady had hers on a leash when it was taken... :o

Jew_Chaser
09-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Its a taboo subject but menstruating women should not swim.

jeff

Louis
09-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Just as a matter of interest.

I believe that quite a few dogs go missing each year from houses backing onto the canals on the Gold Coast.

Apparantly some of the dogs like to jump into the water and swim across to other peoples yards etc. and every year a percentage of them are taken by sharks.

Louis

juicyfruit
09-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Considerable research has been devoted to finding out what stimuli attract sharks and incite them to attack. Results are mostly inconclusive, but some general principles have been advanced: Certain types of irregular sounds - like those made by a swimmer in trouble or a damaged fish - seem to attract sharks from great distances. Sound, rather than sight or smell, seems to be a shark's primary cue for moving into an area. Some scientific experiments indicate that sharks can distinguish light colors from dark, and that they may even be able to distinguish colors.

Yellow, white, and silver seem to attract sharks. Many divers maintain that clothing, fins, and tanks should be painted in dull colors to avoid shark attacks.

juicy

Gbanger
09-01-2006, 04:36 PM
i always thought you couldnt have dogs at the beach because female dogs at that particular time of their doggy menstrual cycle could be dumping blood in the water, without their owners knowing

MulletMan
10-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Yeh, there was NO dog involved!
Typical press and the public. there was a dog on the beach but not swimming in the water with the poor girl!

thumps
10-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Its a taboo subject but menstruating women should not swim.

jeff

ohhhhhhhhhh pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Derek_Bullock
10-01-2006, 05:36 PM
As a matter of interest, is everyone aware that more people are killed by dogs in Australia than sharks.

Derek

sf17fisherman
10-01-2006, 05:42 PM
and how many more on the roads than dogs???

DICER
10-01-2006, 05:48 PM
and how many more by smoking....??

Darryl
10-01-2006, 06:09 PM
And how many more by the mother in law :o

skippa
10-01-2006, 07:38 PM
And how many more by the mother in law :o

I came close mate, but I survived ...... much to her dissapointment I supose ;D

themisses
12-01-2006, 10:36 AM
love your work Bungie!!http://www.ausfish.com.au/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
Grin

themisses
12-01-2006, 10:38 AM
OOps, meant to send a grin?? Havent got the hang of it all yet!!

Mick
12-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Can't compare any other death to sharks attacks...

How many dogs do you see per week and how many cars do you see per week and how many sharks do you see per week? It's apples and oranges. There is no comparison.

As for the mother in law....