PDA

View Full Version : Can you show me where the shark attack was?

oscar22
10-01-2006, 12:30 PM
From my limited knowledge of the area I remember this as being Amity Point.

Can anyone highlight on the pictures where the shark attack happened?

oscar22
10-01-2006, 12:30 PM

mackmauler
10-01-2006, 01:41 PM

The_Bulge
10-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Are you sure about that Mackmauler ? I thought it was north of there closer to the bend near Amity Bungalows.

Klink.

25_ponies
10-01-2006, 03:37 PM
If it's where they've been showing on the news, then Mackmauler is right.

It's a popular spot, there's a park and the jetty. I learned to dive there.

Here's the close up - check out the distance to the drop off:

bidkev
10-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Fished off the jetty there on my holidays, when I first came to Oz. Caught 8 shark in 4 hrs one day. The fish cleaning that takes place at the ramp doesn't help matters. The bollards used to have netting round them many years ago, but they are unable to net it now as it is classed as marine park and the netting would endanger protected species. All it has now is a rope round it designating it as a swimming area. How about humans being classed as a protected species? The mind boggles!

It's only a matter of time before something similar happens at Sandgate. The sharks that are caught there are mind blowing if you think about all those kids swimming at the barbecue area. That's another area that was once netted so the locals have told me. Why not now?

kev

the_group
10-01-2006, 04:56 PM
It is further north out on the beach where the access road is to Flinders and just on the inside of the bar. I was driving down Flinders at the time and the chopper took off from the beach as i got to the point.

Billo
11-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Yeh , i had the feeling it was further up there also .

this time of year , this time in the moon phase , there is so much bait out there for the tuna to work through ....and then the sharks to work through the Tuna !!!!
I could debate for ages over these nets Kev ...but at the end of the day , nets or no nets a large proportion of swimmers will be outside the nets doesn't help us ...doesn't help the marine life either.
There is always a safer option for a swim at less sharky areas i think education can play a higher role then a few nets !

mackmauler
11-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Appears to of been where the shark lines were, so in effect they did nothing more than berley the sharks in, not good at all.

Billo
11-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Yep ..i am often curious about how good those drum lines could be ...after all not every sharkthat went them would get hooked up ...maybe just get the taste !

inspired
11-01-2006, 09:17 PM
we need vic hislop back in the bay he doesnt muck around

oscar22
11-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Can anyone put a circle on the picture for me?

Fishinmishin
11-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Many camping trips at Amity, I have done the fishing to return at night and throw anchor and swim in to shore or swim back to the boat at 1st light. Got me rethinking my methods but as we all know, the sharks are always there, they...like everything else, are just unpredictable at times. Coconuts are still scarier to me ;).

I think around here??

bidkev
12-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I know what you'rer saying Billo and I understand the controversy surrounding nets. I wasn't advocating miles of nettiing stretched along beaches though, which I don't agree with, rather just a small enclosure where folk can swim safely. The posts on the illustration indicate what I am referring to.

The problem seems to be (to me), that the bloody councils set up facilities such as those at Sandgate which actively encourage folk to go into the water that sharks frequent. The enclosure (that isn't enclosed) and the facilities at Amity, are another example.

kev

the_group
12-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Over the holidays everyday there was a good 6 to 10 trawlers anchored up. They end up dumping so much rubbish (by catch) over the side it ends up being one big burley trail out to sea.

oscar22
12-01-2006, 09:30 AM
It sure looks like a big drop off in all those areas anyway regardless of the exact location.

It is not far from deep and safe water for a shark to then come up to waist high water.

Scary stuff.

Big_Ren
12-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Over the holidays everyday there was a good 6 to 10 trawlers anchored up. #They end up dumping so much rubbish (by catch) over the side it ends up being one big burley trail out to sea.

Pardon my ignorance but if that practice is in fact happening (probably since Adam first went fishing), is there any reason why these trawlers can't dump by-catch way out to sea, or this that simply inefficient or inconvenient?? I'm confused :-/

Paul

themisses
12-01-2006, 10:31 AM
How do the drum lines work? Are they hooked then just drown?
Seem a bit unfair that they get such a bum wrap. When there is swimming, splashing and fish cleaning going on. They're going to do what comes naturally. Maybe we need to take more responsibility for what we do and where.
My Hubby is a surfer. I would devo'd if he was taken(Really honey i would), but he knows the risks. There is no way i would want the animal destroyed. He would go doing what he loves most. (apart from fishing) ok i'm down off my soap box now.

SeaHunt
12-01-2006, 11:01 AM
How do the drum lines work? Are they hooked then just drown?
Pretty much.
Don't get carried away about not wanting the animal destroyed.
If it was a pack of Bull sharks, which seem likey, there would be more than 100,000 of them in Moreton Bay, probably another 5000 in the Brisbane river. The sharks were probably no more than 3 or 4 feet long, they are caught (and often eaten) by fishermen every day. The chances of finding the same sharks (especially while looking for them) is almost non existant.
The only thing that surprises me is that more people have not been attacked, especially water skiing in the murky waters of the Brisbane river. :P

themisses
12-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Re: not wanting animals destroyed.
i suppose it relates more to the great whites. I would not want it hunted, ie as in WA last year.

Glad we ski in the Woodburn river!! Only grey nurses to contend with!

oscar22
12-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Have there always been this number of sharks or are they becoming larger in numbers for some reason?