PDA

View Full Version : jacks???

smithy_90
12-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey guys, hate to be a pain in the arse but i would love to get the low down on how to catch jacks :P. I grew up in a family of wind lovers and although i was always round boats i never did much fishing. A few mates and i recently bought into a small tinny and i would be very appreciative if any advice could be given on this much talked about fish.

Regards,

Smithy

muzz30
12-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Hi smithy i found that if you want to catch jacks then take spare tackle lol they
can be very aggressive while on the line and once hooked they will head for
security "mangrove's or reef" so be prepared. I use a live mullet with a light
ball sinker or a manns stretch bronze lure they have done well for me aswell.

Richo1
12-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Hi Smithy,

I'm with Muzz , don't need to fish too deep. I haven't tried fishing for them down in the South East, but up north I like to fish live mullet, prawns or herring (in that order of preference). Find a good snag and cast a line to where the snag meets the bank, on a nice hot day/night. In the middle of the day they will head into the deeper holes/channels

Favourite Lures and soft plastics:

Killa Lure Flatz Rat, Black and Gold
Mann's stretch 10+, Black and Gold, Bronze.
Lead's Lure, Black with red stripes
Mister Twister, single tail white

For the reef, night time is best, got my PB at 18lb doing a charter one night. ;D Was caught on a smelly old pilchard!
Regards,

Richo

brentasauros
12-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Be..prepared..for..a..long..hunt.. ;)

Rod_Bender
13-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Jacks rely on smelling there feed. One charter operator once said "when the bites are tough, take yourself under the water and think like a fish"
Often Jacks will be caught on a bait that has been cut or exposed to allow the scent to flow out. Live baits such as a mullet still work effectively though.
I tend to throw lures around these days rather then bait fishing. Lures that work each time for me include the Flatz Rat and DK lures. Any colour will work. If there on the snag they will smash anything as they hate fish in their territory. The old DK eyecon 6ft model works well too. These are the only 2 lures i use to land barra and Jacks up in townsville. Change the standard hooks to VMC #2 on the eyecons and only the front one of the Flatz Rat, and then your in with a shot. Remember to keep the lure in the strike zone (snag) for as long as possible. Count to five then retrive or twitch the lure again....good luck