PDA

View Full Version : did u see the news about the shark attack at nrth

Navi
07-01-2006, 06:19 PM
hey ppl' I just saw the news about the 15 y.o that got both arms and one leg biten off by the shark on north straddie, all I can do is wish the best for her and her family...( may god look after you ) as if we didn't have enugh for our kids to worry about this point in time......

cheers chris.

Vic1
07-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Unbelivable amount of sharks of all sizes in the bay at the moment

Big_unit
07-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Up here at Hervey Bay the bait schools are huge and consequently the amount of Sharks and other big predators following them around is pretty huge as well. I assume that Straddie has plenty of bait moving around the waters there.

On another note. I saw a pretty big Tiger (around 3 metres long) last night swimming near the Urangan Pier in the first channel about 150 metres or so from where people and thier dogs swim on a regular basis. Thats a worry, makes me think. Should I let the authorities know about it ? Maybe it was just passing through ? or maybe its a resident and they already know its there ?

All that aside, I feel for the family and the girl after her terrifying ordeal.

James

shaman
07-01-2006, 07:17 PM
That's horrific news!!! Hope all is well for her family.
once again nature reminds us where we sit in the scheme of things.
Hope they don't go beserk shark hunting or anything like we've seen in the past.

Sportfish_5
07-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Missed it - what were the details ?

Terrible news

Greg

Darryl
07-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Greg the news flash i just got said that the shark attack was a fatal and it was at Amity mate, that's all i know. And sadly she was only 15 yrs old.

Navi
07-01-2006, 07:41 PM
just got abc news and she died due to shark attack ...

feel sorry for her and the pain she must have gone tru and her family...

Cheers ( were can be ) Chris

1810B
07-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Printed flash said a teenage girl died after being attacked by a shark off North Stradbroke Island, near Brisbane.
The 15 year old girl was attacked while swimming off Amity Point this afternoon.
An ambulance official says she had lost both arms below the elbow and had serious injuries to her leg and torso.
Helicopter pilot Peter Row says his tem managed to get her to Brisbanes P.A. Hospital within 30 minutes of the attack.
"We were on the ground there within 15 minutes" he said.
Abbreviated.......... at the PA and on the ground within 15 minutes. A rapid retrieval. Abbreviated.
However, the girl died early this evening.
Saturday January 7. 07:55PM.

brentasauros
07-01-2006, 08:41 PM
shocking..news :-[

skippa
07-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Terrible news,

I've swum there many times with my kids, condolences to her family and friends.

Tony

cuzzamundi
07-01-2006, 09:04 PM
poor girl and her family! i hope they can somehow come to terms with it. ive seen some very big tigers around there, so i wonder ifthat was the responsible species. a great loss for the family involved, and so sad seeing someone so young lose their life.

cuzza

Sportfish_5
07-01-2006, 09:12 PM
From those injuries I think a Tiger would be a high probability suspect. Always plenty around the bay.

How terrible for all concerned.

Greg

Steven78
07-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Its not fair :( I feel for the family. I was working there about 7 months ago in the same area Amity point rock wall and i did see a large Shark but at the same time i did see a large shark in the seaway a few months ago as well.

skippa
07-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Plenty of big sharks thru Amity and the Rainbow channel. If they don't come thru the top end of the bay it's likely thru the South Passage bar area.

Last year fishing in mates 1750LE Signature we almost (thank christ we didn't) caught a massive tiger shark at the Amity end of Rous channel. As it swam under the boat the tail was out one side and the head out the other. At that stage of the fight we where only in about 6 feet of clear water...

Christened a new rod and scared the shit outta me.

sackrash
07-01-2006, 09:58 PM
My heart goes to the family it is a terrible tragedy that unfortunatly happens around our coast line often.
Again so much sympathy for the family how ever it is at these unfortunate times you usually hear from that idiot from Hervey Bay that has the shark museum saying sharks are bad they should be destroyed lets catch them all.
I have seen the result of removing sharks from the ecosystem up north and it stuffs everything up big time.
So if you hear of someone with shark phobia saying lets kill em all, slap them across the back of the head and give them a gentle reminder.

p.s.

I am no greeny

Dug
07-01-2006, 10:08 PM
With all the people/idiots who deserve being eaten Why a young woman?

It's just too sad.

Christmas road toll 19 for Queensland, 80 something for Australia same thing young lives needlessly cut short for no good reason.

Swim safe boat safe and drive safe.

Heath
07-01-2006, 10:17 PM
A WOMAN in her early 20s has died after a shark attack in Queensland's south-east.

The woman suffered severe injuries in the attack early this afternoon near the Amity Point fishing village on North Stradbroke Island, east of Brisbane.

She was airlifted to the Princess Alexander Hospital but died late this afternoon.

"At this stage we know that the woman was taken to the Princess Alexander Hospital by a Queensland Rescue chopper and had to have both arms amputated just short of the elbow," Queensland Rescue Helicopter Service spokeswoman Helen Anderson said.

She could not confirm early reports that the girl had also lost a leg during the attack.

"I believe she also had flesh wounds to her leg and torso," she said.

"The helicopter got to her within 12 minutes of the alarm being raised."

It is not known what type of shark was involved.

The Grey Nurse shark, which is considered dangerous to humans if provoked, is commonly seen in waters where the woman was mauled.

"Initial reports indicated that the victim was 15 but we now believe that she was in her early 20s" a police spokeswoman said.

straddie
07-01-2006, 11:32 PM
A grey nurse? ::) It was either a big tiger or whaler for my money. First I have heard of anyone being taken in all the time I have been going over there. Always used to joke about Jaws being at Amity when we were kids.

I would be interested to know exactly where they are calling Amity, surfside, bar or bay. I would guess by the quick retrieval it must have been the bay swimming near the jetty or rock wall in the rainbow.

Steven78
07-01-2006, 11:59 PM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17759065-2,00.html

A WOMAN in her early 20s has died after a horrific shark attack off North Stradbroke Island, east of Brisbane late yesterday.

The woman lost both arms and suffered severe wounds to her torso and legs in the savage attack at Amity Point about 5pm.
A rescue helicopter rushed her to Brisbane's Princess Alexandra Hospital but surgeons could not save her.

It is believed the woman was holidaying from Brisbane. Last night, police were trying to contact her family.

Emergency Services Rescue Helicopter crew officer Rod Morgan said the woman had suffered massive blood loss.

"She was very pale" he said.

Advertisement:
"We were diverted right away and were able to be on the scene within minutes and were able to have the patient at hospital within an hour of the attack."
Several distraught witnesses were being interviewed by police at Amity Point last night.

A local woman, who didn't want to be identified, said the victim arrived on the island only yesterday.

She said the victim was swimming with her border collie when the attack happened and the dog ran home to raise the alarm.

"I was across the road from where she was staying and I saw the dog come flying up the road all wet and shivering and whimpering," she said.

"Then a little boy came running up and said the girl had lost her leg and her arm and everyone ran out of the house towards the beach."

She said the frenzied dog had to be restrained.

"It was just a little black-and-white dog but he was crazy so I locked him under the house," she said.

Suzanne Deed, owner of the Amity Bungalows, which are a short distance away from Flinders Beach where the attack happened, said: "As she was dragged out of the water a friend or relative of the girl was crying, 'She's only 21, she's only 21'. My daughter saw the whole thing. She was swimming in the water and she was actually farther out than the girl who was attacked.

"Somebody came running down the beach shouting, 'Shark!' and the next thing my daughter saw the girl being dragged out of the water.

"She wasn't very far out - there are lots of dolphins there and people like to swim with them. We've never had a shark attack.

"There were quite a few people on the beach who saw what happened. I've been told by people who were there that it was a tiger shark."

Amity Point fisherman Miles Scott confirmed other people were in the water at the time of the attack.

"A couple of people were down there, swimming around her about 50m from her," he said.

"A shark just came in and attacked her. They just saw her struggling."

Mr Scott, owner of Fresh Local Seafood at Amity Point, said locals had long been concerned about sharks.

"We've been waiting for this for a long time. We've always thought someone was going to be taken here.

"I'm a crabber and at this time of the year massive bull sharks come over the bar.

"It's nothing to see 10 or a dozen bull sharks under our boat when we are crabbing and they are really aggressive - they are not like normal sharks."

Rod Farrell, who owns Amity Point Waterfront Cabins, just 100m from the attack site, said the woman who raised the alarm was staying in one of his cabins.

"She ran up and down the beach screaming at people to get out of the water, and was on the mobile to Triple-0," Mr Farrell said. "She was pretty hysterical."

Mr Farrell said he believed the victim was swimming in a channel that locals avoided because they feared shark attacks.

"We're forever telling little ones and tourists not to swim late in the afternoon or at night, especially in the summer," he said.

Amity Point resident of 20 years Brad Ross said tourists had been warned about the area.

"The shore just falls away into 30m of water and there are plenty of bull sharks out there," Mr Ross said.

"People know when they enter the water there they're stepping into a shark habitat."

Other beaches on the island are protected by drum lines.

mackmauler
08-01-2006, 01:49 AM
Its JAWS all over again, looks like it was a grey nurse the divers have provoked them it was always going to happen, a real shame.

Better open up the grey nurse closed areas for a cull before it gets out of hand.

brentasauros
08-01-2006, 07:03 AM
kill..em..all

Spaniard_King
08-01-2006, 07:15 AM
It will be inetresting to see what if any pollitical action comes of this attack... I can feel a kneejerk coming on ::)

Garry

Rainbowrunner
08-01-2006, 07:51 AM
sounds like bull shark to me.

Derek_Bullock
08-01-2006, 08:05 AM
Last Update: Sunday, January 8, 2006. 6:42am (AEDT)

Beaches closed as shark hunt continues near Brisbane

Queensland Police have closed some beaches on Stradbroke Island in the state's south-east and are searching the waters after a fatal shark attack yesterday.

A young Brisbane woman died after being mauled by a shark in waters off the island east of Brisbane.

The 21-year-old is believed to have been with friends when the incident happened and close to the shore on Amity Point beach.

The woman, whose name has not been released, lost both her arms below the elbow during the attack.

She also sustained major wounds to one of her legs.

The woman was airlifted to the Princess Alexander Hospital in Brisbane but died shortly after arriving.

Queensland Ambulance paramedic Lachlan Parker says she was barely alive when they reached her.

"She had life threatening injuries she had lost significant amounts of blood and the patient had what we would call an altered level of consciousness where it wasn't able to communicate directly with the patient," he said.

Authorities say they have no idea what species of shark may have been responsible for the attack.

Police Senior Sergeant Ray Rohweder says the woman had been swimming further out from her friends in deep murky water near the Rainbow Channel, and it is possible the shark was hunting baitfish and attacked her by mistake.

Senior Sergeant Rohweder says the woman's friends, who had arrived on the Island the day before, are stunned and overwhelmed.

"There is no doubt that people are very upset about what's happened I mean it's a fairly close knit community and the young lady in question was over holidaying with some friends from a church group so everyone who's been involved with the matter is certainly quite upset," he said.

Water Police have searched the area for the shark but there have not been any more sightings so far.

Police spokeswoman Karmen Turner says the local council and police have decided to shut down beaches today to ensure other swimmers are not at risk of a shark attack.

"Police are closing the beaches east and west of Amity Point, Stradbroke Island today," she said.

"Police will be patrolling the area advising residents and holidaymakers about the shark attack to ensure public safety. Water police will also be patrolling the area."

'A matter of time'

An experienced diving instructor on North Stradbroke Island says it was just a matter of time before someone was hurt or killed by a shark at Amity Point.

Steve McKinnon from Stradbroke Island Dive Charters says he has been teaching people to scuba dive for years in the same spot where a shark mauled a 21-year-old woman late yesterday.

Mr McKinnon says the popular swimming spot is close to Rainbow Channel, where aggressive bull sharks and whalers are common at this time of the year.

"I have been diving that area since 1983 we use it as a training ground and the bank drops off to a depth of around 15 to 18 metres, within 12 metres from the bank off Amity Point [there is] a very sharp drop off there," he said.

"What happens is that the shark moves through the channel and on the high tide they come up into the shallow water looking for prey that are maybe hiding up in the shallows."

markpeta
08-01-2006, 09:01 AM
There needs to be a shark cull once in a while to keep numbers down other wise this will only get worse. To all the greenies who are protecting the sharks bet you would want shark blood spilt if this was a member of your family. There also needs to be a big clean out of bull sharks in canals and rivers not a cull but a total clean out.

Mark

Derek_Bullock
08-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Any death in this manner must be devastating to the people and familes of the victim. I am all for killing particular rogue sharks however am not sure that culling is really necessary considering the number of fatalities that occur. Below is an extract from a report.

Cheers

Derek

Yesterday's victim is the ninth person killed by sharks in Australia in the past six years.

Other recent fatalities include:

August 2005: Glenelg Beach, SA – marine biologist Jarrod Stehbens, 23, killed while diving for cuttlefish eggs off the Adelaide beach.

March 2005: Boat skipper Geoff Brazier, 26, killed by a 6m white pointer while snorkelling in the Abrolhos Islands, 500km north of Perth.

December 2004: Glenelg Beach – surfer Nick Peterson, 18, killed by a 6m white pointer while being dragged behind a boat.

December 2004: Opal Reef, Queensland – Cairns spearfisherman Mark Thompson, 38, killed by a black whaler shark.

July 2004: Gracetown, WA – surfer Bradley Smith, 29, killed after being attacked near Margaret River.

November 2000: North Cottesloe, WA – businessman Ken Crew, 48, killed by a 4m white pointer while in waist-high water.

Owen
08-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Firstly let me offer my heartfelt condolances to the family.

Secondly, I find it a bit off colour that this thread appeared within hours of the tragedy and that we ausfishers were discussing it possibly before the family had been informed. I'm not having a go at the original poster, or any of the respondants as such - after all, the story was already on the news - just lamenting the fact that in the digital age compassion for the family has been somewhat left behind :(
I hate it when the news displays graphic details and pictures of an accident minutes after it happens. Couldn't imagine what it would be like for a family member or friend to recognise the person, car or whatever involved before they had been told of the event :(

As shit scared as I am of sharks, I don't support culling them because of this.
Swimming at dusk in murky water, a known shark area, possibly with a dog?
It would seem the poor girl paid the ultimate price for breaking the rules :( :( :(

cheers,
Owen

onerabbit
08-01-2006, 09:35 AM
The poor girl, full condolences to the family :'(, muzz.

Derek_Bullock
08-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Secondly, I find it a bit off colour that this thread appeared within hours of the tragedy and that we ausfishers were discussing it possibly before the family had been informed.

I think any normal person has some compassion for the family and friends of the victim however if you look at the media broadcasts on this story, and I have, it was being shot around the world and discussed by possibly millions of people within hours of it occurring. I personally dont see any issues with it being discussed on here in a similar way.

Derek

Billo
08-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Quote "
Police Senior Sergeant Ray Rohweder says the woman had been swimming further out from her friends in deep murky water near the Rainbow Channel, and it is possible the shark was hunting baitfish and attacked her by mistake. "

Yep . looks like a baitfish to me ....yeh right

Seriously though , 9 shark attacks in 6 years in Austrlian waters is a remarkebly low number .
I bet the number of people dying from Bee stings or snake bites exceeds that by a long shot .
The fact that shark attacks are so graphic and can occur in VERY popular areas i think makes them more succeptable to media attention .

It's a sad thing , but seriously why do so many people disregard information about these things and believe they wil be safe .

Out of innterest , does anyone know if there is any signs up at Amity advising of the sharks ? If locals have been telling people for years , you would think their would be signage , or would that scare off the tourists ?

Condolences to the family

Derek_Bullock
08-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Beaches closed after shark attack

January 8, 2006 - 11:17AM

Authorities said it was not clear what species of shark was responsible for the death.

However, South Australian based shark expert Andrew Fox said he would not be surprised if a bull shark - a species aggressive at this time of year - was involved.

"It may mean the bull sharks have moved into the area and are feeding and they're a pretty large, robust shark," Mr Fox told Sky News.

The fact the woman was swimming with an animal and late in the afternoon could have contributed to the shark attack, he said.

"It's known ... not to swim with animals - I don't know how much that contributed in this particular case but it's a certainly one of the guidelines," Mr Fox said.

He denied there had been an increase in shark attacks across Australia in recent years.

"There's definitely been a bigger increase in the attention to shark attack ... with a lot of photographs being put into the media it makes us more aware," he said.

"Statistically there's very little change in recent years."

He said the risk of shark attack was "very, very low compared to just about any other form of danger".

But he implored swimmers to minimise the threat by avoiding waters in the early morning or late afternoon and swimming near deep water channels.

"A lot of attacks are in shallow water - that's got to do with 99.9 per cent of people usually staying in shallow water - but deeper water is even more of a risk," he said.

Suzanne Deed, owner of the Amity Bungalows at Amity Point, which coincidently bears a similar name as the fictitious Amity Island - where swimmers were savaged in the movie Jaws - said onlookers believed a tiger shark was responsible.

"My daughter saw the whole thing, she was swimming in the water and she was actually farther out than the girl who was attacked," Ms Deed told the Sunday Mail.

"She wasn't very far out - there are lots of dolphins and people like to swim with them."

subzero
08-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Can only be described as devastating, I like many in here have daughters roughly the same age and it is very hard not to relate to it and feel a great deal of sympathy for the family, friends and those unfortunates that witnessed these ghastly events.

Hold your children close tonight, and consider how fortunate we really are to have the little horrors even when they get up our noses.

Sincerest Sympathies
Lloyd

Always_offshore
08-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Hold your children close tonight, and consider how fortunate we really are to have the little horrors even when they get up our noses.

Sincerest Sympathies
Lloyd
Like wise,lets not turn this forum into a dbate about sharks,condolences to her family and friends

adds31
08-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Full condolences to the girls family and friends, its a shame.

Adds..

mackmauler
08-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Whens the shark hunt getting under way.

subzero
08-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Shark victim's cries mistaken as joke
By Jade Bilowol
08jan06

A WOMAN desperately called out "Shark!" seconds before being mauled to death in a frenzied attack by up to three of them – but onlookers thought she had been joking.

The sharks struck as the 21-year-old victim was swimming with friends at Amity Point, off Queensland's North Stradbroke Island, about 5.30pm (AEST) yesterday.

Within seconds they had torn off both the woman's arms and savagely mauled her torso and legs.

Two fishermen were the first to react, dragging her out of the water onto the beach.

Frantic bystanders scrambled for towels to stem the bleeding before a helicopter rushed the stricken woman to Brisbane's Princess Alexandra Hospital where she died of shock and massive blood loss.

The horror of the pack attack has stunned the carefree holiday haven just east of Brisbane.

Beaches have been closed as police and fishermen search waters off the Moreton Bay island for the shark that attacked in waist deep water yesterday.

Inspector Peter Harding said today all beaches within a two kilometre stretch both east and west of the fateful spot – known as Rainbow Channel – had been closed.

In the first detailed description of the tragedy, Insp Harding said the victim had been swimming with three friends from a church group when she was attacked.

"She went down under the water ... after about five or six seconds the deceased came out of the water and screamed `Shark' and of course people at the time thought she was only joking ... until they saw the blood," he said.

Two nearby fishermen managed to get the stricken woman from the water and onto the beach.

But the injuries were so catastrophic that little could be done.

She was airlifted to Brisbane's Princess Alexandra Hospital, where she died 50 minutes after the attack.

Insp Harding said the extent of the woman's injuries indicated it was a pack of bull sharks, noted for their aggressive nature at this time of year.

"She was bleeding quite heavily – I'm of the opinion of what I've seen and what I've been told, there was more than one shark involved, there could have been up to three," he said.

He said beaches east and west of Amity Point – which ironically bears a similar name to the fictitious Amity Island, where swimmers were savaged in the movie Jaws – would be closed "for a while" as a precautionary measure.

He said police divers and fishermen were trying to hunt down the sharks to "retrieve what we can".

"If we found them I suppose we would try to retrieve them and see if they have any body parts," Insp Harding said.

"Realistically it's virtually impossible."

Insp Harding said some locals won't go near Rainbow Channel, which he described as one of the deepest in Moreton Bay, "at any time".

"After Friday night's storm – the water was very murky and dirty, in fact so much so one of the locals of there wouldn't go in and dive," he said.

Despite earlier reports, Insp Harding said there was no dog with the woman at the time of the attack, and that the woman was swimming in water "anything from chest-deep to 30 feet".

skippa
08-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Geez,

every report has a different version, I wonder if we will ever know what really happened??

One thing for sure, sharks are a lot more active this time of year.

Tony

adds31
08-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Probably has started.

bidkev
08-01-2006, 02:49 PM
A tragedy and my codolences to all who knew this poor woman.

But just what *do* we do? My kids love the water and we camp at a spot at the pin where I know that it is relatively safe (rip wise). OTOH, I now know, after nearly catching a whaler which was an easy 10 ft in that very same water, that it is never truly safe.

How would it be viewed if a similar tragedy befell one of my kids? With the current debate on the bloke and his two kids in the bay, and now this, what *exactly* do we do?

Are we to judge this woman for failing to observe the advice about swimming in known shark haunts? Was she or her family even aware of the dangers? Just where do we draw the line on judging others?

We have to live and enjoy life to the full without becoming overly fearfull of what *may* befall us or our loved ones. If we don't, we risk the danger of becoming paranoid about the dangers surrounding water. Know our limitations, reach for the limits without exceeding them, and educate ourselves to *all* dangers without becoming overly fearful of them.

An easy ask but now not so clear cut as it formerly once was. When these tragedies or near tragedies happen on your doorstep and in places the you frequent, it brings home to you, "there but for the grace of God". To be honest, my first thought was that it could just as easily have been one of my kids and my normally rational thoughts, shut down for some time. Now the time for some hard thinking and decision making is here. I am resolved though, not to become paranoid about this, as much as I sometimes fear for my kids. I hope we can all do the same.

Safe leisure to you and yours.

cheers

kev

sf17fisherman
08-01-2006, 02:54 PM
i can not see any reson to hunt any sharks even if as derek said they are rouges
whos the more rouge a shark in it's natrual environment or a human swimming in it
dug and billo have it right

car deaths and other deaths far out weight shark attacks and or deaths and for a beach to be closed after one when two attacks in the same spot is soo rare it is hard to put a pecentage on it

i do feel for her family but we all take a risk everyday wakeing up and we are by far at more risk of each other than a shark attack while swimming

mackmauler
08-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Its time to reasses the grey nurse closures these sharks are feeling very safe right now, #bring back the fear of god for them.she has died a martyr in the grey nurse debacle as far as im concerned.

Dug
08-01-2006, 03:16 PM
From her injuries it sounds like she was attacked by several sharks simultaneously bull sharks are the most dangerous and most likly suspect NO WAY a Grey nurse could sever and arm or leg their teeth are just not designed for gutting like that.

As for a shark cull? I am all for it if I am allowed to cull idiot drivers who put me and my family at risk.

The most dangerous part of the water is the drive to get to the beach.

If you have seen car crash victims you would understand.

Give me a shark any day.

Skipsta
08-01-2006, 04:56 PM
We have to live and enjoy life to the full without becoming overly fearfull of what *may* befall us or our loved ones. If we don't, we risk the danger of becoming paranoid about the dangers surrounding water. Know our limitations, reach for the limits without exceeding them, and educate ourselves to *all* dangers without becoming overly fearful of them.

kev

Kev, I think I know what you are trying to say, but we should all do ourselves a favour and take heed and learn wisdom from the misfortunes of others.

I have some personal knowledge of this incident. If you had seen the grief of the parents and sister of the lady involved. If you had seen the injury suffered by this lady, you WOULD NOT allow your family to be put at this type of risk.

The lady involved was a tourist and likely did not have the knowledge of the dangers. But now WE ALL have the knowledge of the dangers.

Accidents and tragedies will always happen. But we have to use our common sense to attempt to avoid these accidents at all costs. I am not talking about wrapping your family up in cotton wool, but use your wisdom to minimise the risk.

If the same tragedy befell your family after this obvious warning of the grave danger, you would not and I submit should not forgive yourself.

This is not personally directed or even addressing you Kev. I am addressing all Ausfishers, and further I agreed with most of your post. It is only my opinion on a subject which I'm sure a lot of people have been considering since this tragedy happened.

devocean
08-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Bull shark for sure as tiger would have not been traveling in packs and would have probably given up after one or two bites. BUlls prefer packs.

As for the cull well I got hammered on a post a few eweeks ago for telling someone to kill a couple of whalers he caught now someone dies everyones in for the kill.

dynamicspot
08-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Guys i think you should let this post die, Dont you think the people involved have enough to deal with let alone to guess what species of shark got the person, Tragic i will say but why drag it all on the net We as fishers do know about the sharks after the tuna and the big bait boils going through the bay at the moment

THATS MY @ CENTS

Greg

Panda
08-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Whoohoo. Nothing like a shark attack to stir up emotive responses. Now we have some idiot advocating open season on Grey Nurse Sharks.

The sea can be a dangerous place. That is part of its attraction. Enjoy it but beware of the dangers.

Tragic as it is, these things will happen from time to time. Education of beach goers is the appropriate course of action rather than going out to kill the creatures of the sea.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
08-01-2006, 09:30 PM
I simply cannot begin to comprehend the grief of this young woman's family. My heart really goes out to them. The thing that attracts our interest to shark attacks is the fact that they are so gruesome. Unlike any other animal except for maybe tigers/lions and such, and the fact that they lurk beneath us in waters not meant for mankind. If we were meant to be there, we would have gills.

Just my thoughts

Dave

szopen
08-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Sea is a dangerous place.

My condolences to the family.

Can not imagine what would be my reaction if this has happend to my family.

DICER
09-01-2006, 06:14 AM
first my feeling go out to her family and friends...it's extremely tragic and such a popular spot (yet again).

In another way the more we interact with sea we increase the risks of mishaps or shark attacks.

BTW Sometime ago I 've seen a school of over 200 sharks come through and blacken the bottom at tangalooma - they were about 1.5 metres long - probably all bull sharks. Had to stop a young ~3 or 4 yr old getting too excited and falling off the jetty (no rails of course) - his parents were looking the other way!!!

It's very unlikely you'll see me swim in the rainbow channel on dusk again.

Burley_Boy
09-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Kev, agree with you on that one mate, life's a calculated risk and maybe I'll just recalculate some of the values but yes it could just as well been one of my kids at Amity.

Rob... [smiley=whip.gif]

juicyfruit
09-01-2006, 02:01 PM
My brother lost his life in a shark attack at the age of 16.

Here is my experience of the 'after event'.

Firstly......The media.

These people, though they have a job to do, are blood sucking insensitive bastards.

Their primal agenda is ‘sell’ a story.

They will sensationalise everything, hound the grieving family and friends for any 'lead'.
(Hounding will be unrelenting - ringing of the phone, knocks on the door and film crews at the funeral etc)

What they don't find out they will make up, with lines like "a family friend says".

Secondary……..After terrorising the family they will then make a uproar about Australians 'unsafe waters'.
This stirs up the public, pollies and groups.

This causes the 'demand' to slaughter sharks.

Sharks that are doing their own thing in their own environment.

The media wants to report the death of the shark that still has body parts in its guts. This makes them sell a story again.

Vicious cycle.

I have much more to write about this, in more detail, but as I am now upset, and i know what I’ve written right now is a little incomprehensible, I will point form

>>>>Don't believe everything the media tells you
>>>>Don’t slaughter innocent sharks
>>>>Best way to condole the family is not to get caught up in the above 2 things, let them have their privacy in the most upsetting time of their lives.
>>>>Live life to the fullest
>>>>Love your family and friends

Juicy

mackmauler
09-01-2006, 02:31 PM
I dont believe in innocent sharks juicy, they are guilty by association, and its that time of yr again for those who know, watch the fishn reports ;D

Girella
09-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Juicy

Thanks for the insight.

My condolences to you, this must be a tough time for you and your family.

I must say I have been struck by the unnecessary detail attached to media reports and I can certainly see what you mean.

Stuff like the victims dog going 'crazy' and having to be restrained and then that there was no dog.

Like you say whatever sells I guess.

PK

BeastMaster
09-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I dont even like to think about what this girl, her family ,friends and bystanders went through on the weekend - Moreton Bay may be a natural environment for sharks but hell its our back yard too. I've seen crazy's swimming at places like the Kapt Neilson (at night) , Deep Tempest ect - They deserve to be short listed, - unfortunately this young girl made a little innocent mistake and paid ultimately. In my opinion the Bays Bull Shark Population needs to be culled and some signs reminding people posted.
Local Authorities should in my personal opinion contract the services of Amity's local pro crabber and the southern bay's pro netters for a month(should they agree) and pay them well per fin - knock off as many as possible - They are becoming fearless of humans , this is the danger. If nothing is done it WILL happen again . My money is on - Peel,Tangalooma, Amity again,Blakesleys, Coochie, Wellington Point (Western Beach) . I say Cull the fearless Bull Sharks which follow the bays pro crabbers ,and harass the netters, there's probably a very good chance these will be the ones responsible.
I've said my bit - This incident was terrible , but I will now be even more aware where and when I let my kids swim.

DICER
10-01-2006, 04:49 AM
Juicyfruit - terrible, sorry to hear

bungie
10-01-2006, 06:55 AM
Sorry for your loss Juicy

bidkev
10-01-2006, 11:10 AM
No doubt this latest event will have stirred some tough memories for you Juicy. My thoughts are with you.

kev

thumps
10-01-2006, 12:08 PM
It’s a very hard topic to comment on

Living with someone who has suffered the loss, experienced the media hype, and suffered from the public discussion that goes on after such an event.

Nothing stirs more fear in humans than the thought of being eaten alive.

I know the Juicemeister didn’t comment to get sympathy, but does appreciate the kind wishes.

It’s a horrible time for a family...some never recover fully and the more discussion/media it gets, the deeper the loss is felt.

Some families learn to move on quite well while others are reminded for years and years

It’s a common occurrence for the Media to revamp a story to associate the loss with previous events, and I have seen first hand what damage and distress this can cause.

From a first hand experience, the more comments this news gets, the longer the suffering lasts.

whilst news worthy, this topic is...it does fascinate and stir the deepest fears we all have and hope will never happen to those that we love and care about.

It’s a pity that one sad event like this receives more attention than a car accident that maims a child, or takes away someone’s loved one.

Shark attack is fairly uncommon

But the stress and damage we can do, simply by sensationalising it and keeping it in the media or in general chat for as long as possible, does nothing other than to remind those that have suffered for longer than is necessary

jimfisher
10-01-2006, 05:57 PM
My heart goes out to Sarah Whiley & the family

I game fish quite a bit with out fail i come across a few of the Bastards.
I even fish for them, when i do i dedicate the day just for them.
I supose its a little vendetta personaly. So today i have desided to head out this weekend & fish for sharks
As much as i love the beast i hate it to:

as thumps mentioned; Nothing stirs more fear in humans than the thought of being eaten alive.

I remember a 6 years ago about 11 mile out of sydney heads after an hour of trolling we desided to light the BBQ & have a rest, then 2 x 5foot Makos appeared & running rings around us, then they desided to start giving us a few bumps.
So out came the pistol.

Love me or hate me, Just remeber its only your opinion.

the pic i have attached here is of a 5ft Bastard Bull that gave me a fight of its life.
Which at the time was realy great because i had a greenie on board that wasnt very happy about the whole deal. ;D

Jim

themisses
12-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Sorry for your loss Juicy.
Agree whole heartedly with your final comments.

Navi
13-01-2006, 12:23 PM
hey ppl,
I would like to say that I am sorry if I upset some people by starting this tread it just happen that I was on this site when the news came on and I herd about it I how ever did not know that the lady had been killed,

once again I am sorry if I upset any one as this was not my aim...

chris