PDA

View Full Version : Crocs migrating south???

shaman
07-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Hey all you guys up north,
Just a query, what are your thoughts on the croc population moving south. With the cessation of culling I was wondering whether any of you noticed changes in croc habitats, different spots etc.
what makes me think that this is possible is some info i have gathered over the last decade or so regarding how far south crocs used to populate.
I read an article in a local Bayside fishing magazine about a croc 5+ mtrs caught in the Logan river (sth of Brisbane) in the early 1900's (photo showing this monster & it's captors accompanied the article) & also read about the croc population in the Noosa river being exterminated in the 1950's.
It'd be interesting to see whether they may migrate south again considering the lack of pressure placed on the species nowadays.
Any imput would be interesting. Ta

Panda
07-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Do you have any links to your info about olden days croc distribution.

As a general rule, crocs distribution is about the same as that of Barra. That is no further south of Bundaburg. But since Barra can survive further south, its feasible crocs might also. Long term establishment and breeding is doubtful though.

Still, with global warming and the explosion in croc populations in the north since they were protected, one would expect their range to extend further south.

Up here in the north they are virtually in plague proportions. They are turning up in places not previously seen for decades due to population expansion pressures.

bungie
08-01-2006, 12:20 AM
Only in the last couple of years a large Barra was picked up by boat between the two lakes at Noosa. Over 1.5m if I remember correctly

rossramage
08-01-2006, 05:35 AM
Hi, just thought i'd tell you. I saw a salt water croc at River heads, near Hervey Bay whilst fishing in my tinny about 30 years ago. Ross.

Big_unit
08-01-2006, 06:33 AM
My brothers father in law is from Maryborough and he has told us about the Mary River crocs, being there as recently as 25 years ago. Some of his mates (p@#sheads) come up with stories of how they still find slides and occassionally spot one.

I do know for a fact that on A guide to Great Sandy Strait chart there is a warning that reads -

Crocodiles -
There have been a number of unofficial reports of crocodiles in the Sandy Straits and Mary River systems. Excercise caution when in small dinghies or ashore, especially in isolated or mangrove areas.

These navigational charts are written by J.M.McFarlane in 1983-84 and 1994.

Personally I have not seen a Croc around here and I have been up creeks that dont see many people. In saying that I wouldnt doubt they could be around.

Cheers
James

Rainbowrunner
08-01-2006, 07:35 AM
the paper made a big deal of it when someone took a photo of a decent croc in the calliope river in gladstone. dont know why,growing up there I thought they were quite common. especially after high tides and rain in summer people who lived near and on the mudflats would get them on there back yards or pools. There were certain spots we would just NOT drag the bait net.
Ive seen them in the burnett river and baffle creek.
it would not surprise me at all to see them head south with global warming.

theoldlegend
08-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Global warming, that's what it is !! We're all doomed !!

Might be another excuse for the authorities to declare a few more marine parks so as not to upset the crocs.

Think I'll go and hug the silky oak in the back yard.

TOL

toymod
08-01-2006, 11:28 AM
There was one court in the logan river many of years ago

Panda
08-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Sometimes people see a large goanna swimming across a creek and hysteria takes over. Pretty soon word gets around and its 6 meters long and has attacked the boat!

maztez
08-01-2006, 12:47 PM
When I was a young bloke in the 50s I can remember a report on crocs living in Tallabudgera Creek on the Gold Coast .Put a scare up everyone as we used to camp swim and fish here ,never saw any tho.
Terry

bazzaman
08-01-2006, 01:59 PM
hope they are plenty up here to share around! ::) ::) :P :P

Shane

thumps
08-01-2006, 02:15 PM
there is a story about a monster that used to live in the Great Lake in Tassie.

whilst we all know of stories of bunyips and yeti's etc

this one was pushed hard and fast for many years.

it wasnt till recently that the skeleton of a 16 foot CROC was found

devocean
08-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Water temps are definetly on the rise so anyhting is possible. I was spearing most of the rivers near burrum and woodgate last week saw none

robersl
08-01-2006, 06:11 PM
they found a baby croc sun abking on the banks of centennial lakes at caboolture about a year ago now they think it was caught as a baby was was getting to big so was released into the lakes steve irwins crew came and caught it but have had reports of crocs in the caboolture river and hays inlet salt water creek makes you think don't it and also there was a barra caught in the noosa river about 5 months ago

shane

bignick
08-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Can't see why it wouldn't happen, with the waters warming up down here (allegedly). It's only natural for any species to try and expand its horizons when either their population grows too much or suitable areas to live become more and more scarce. Humans do it all the time. Just a thought...

Cheers,
NICK.

TonyM
08-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Only one I have seen south of Bundy in the wild was in the Mary River at Maryborough about 25 yrs ago - I was water skiing at the time (best I ever ski'd in my life too!)

88fishframe
09-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Crocs can cover a lot of distance on the open water and up my way we have a couple of big ones that visit a few different river systems to check them out. I'd think it very possible for a croc to venture south in the current warm temps we have been having, however, the more populated areas with greater boat traffic ect ... wouldn't be to many crocs liking I would think. I've always had an unusal feeling about all the estuaries down the coast as far south as Yamba. The bull sharks probably eat all the small ones before they get to breeding size ;D

muzz30
10-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Back when they were shooting croc's one hunter shot an 18ft monster in the Normanton River it dissapeard assumed to sink to the depth's but two year's later the same shooter shot the same croc except this time it was killed on the banks of the Fly River in PNG. The DPI caught and released Croc's fitted with Satelite Trackers in 1994 they observed that two croc's stayed locally and the other one was tracked and later caught in a croc trap near innisfail several month's later. I am croc passionate and have done alot of research on these great creature's and the most important thing i have learned is that if you dont respect them in there water's then you could be there next meal.

juicyfruit
10-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Common place up where I live. That said I have notice increasing numbers. Now we have had rain, will see more....and not only in the creeks.

Can't see why they wouldn't be found further south.

Respect them, leave them alone, know everything there is to know about them, know they are territorial, avoid taking your boat too close to breeding ground, never gut/fillet your fish or rid of bait at the boat ramp, don't fish alone, have a good spotlight at night etc etc etc blah blah blah.....but most of all...

......NEVER SMILE AT A CROCODILE

Juicy

al_neibling
10-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Call me Nut's but I am HANGING to see one of these beauty's, Everytime I am out in the boat I am looking for them.

I know I am excited now but might be a different story when a really see one!

al

juicyfruit
10-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Al,

Hit the creek, find the mangroves, look for the exposed muddy areas with the sun beating down on it (they love to sunbake) they can be hard to spot, try looking for their tracks first, once you have seen a few this way, your eyes are more accustom to seeing them and you will pick them up more readily, try heading up the creek about 5 kms from the mouth.....also to find a croc in the water (hard to spot them like this in the day....night you shine a spotlight and their eyes reflect...look for bats settling in the mangroves....barra are usually under the bats and the crocs are after the barra.

Juicy

al_neibling
10-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the tip Juicy!! Have been told by a few locals that they don't come out much this time of year cause it's too hot. But we have had some rain maybe when I put the pots in tommorow I will get lucky??

ta
Al

shaman
11-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Hi guys, thanx for your input. I found a website with a story and photo on the Logan River Croc it's www.beenleigss.qld.edu.au (sorry dunno how to do the link thingy) also found a story on a croc siting at miami/burleigh in 1938. Apparently a 10 footer in Miami Swamp also remains of it's tucker, cattle carcasses etc. Some interesting stuff from u guys also. Quite surprised about Maryborough as well not that far north.
Ta, Shaman.

Moffy
12-01-2006, 11:48 AM
don't worry about the crocs - saw a story in paper recently about stingers moving south - basically saying that they're expected as far south as Noosa in the not too distant future. :o

Rocketrody
15-01-2006, 11:33 AM
For shaman ::)
HI i for got to get your contact details yesterday on south stradbroke. and blake is so upset with me. but he did wont to fish. PS no fish

rossramage
16-01-2006, 06:19 AM
Hi, I heard on the news recently that a box jellyfish was found in Manly boat harbour. Scary thought. Ross.

muzz30
16-01-2006, 07:10 AM
Those Box Jelly Fish are bad news i use to try my best in darwin to avoid them but sometimes when you gather bait with a cast net you seem to always end up with some sting's from handling the net. especially around wrist and feet.

maztez
16-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Hey MUZZ I hade the same when we lived there .Got caught in throw net (didnt know )til I sat on the bloody net during a night fish at nightcliffe :o :owow a lot of pain even a half carton green cans couldnt fix :'( :'( :'(

sams_fish
16-01-2006, 05:58 PM
hi guys,
in the late 60's or early 70's, a large saltwater croc was shot in the mary river at tiaro swimming hole, freshwater, and being displayed in jack casey's car yard for all to see, dunno how big it was bit looked huge to me at the time. can't find any info on it at the moment but will try
regards
graeme

cuzzamundi
17-01-2006, 03:36 PM
gday muzz,

i know that feeling. got done on the hand one night near gladstone cast netting - small amount but crikes it's pain.

gday graeme,

my best mate grew up there and as i recall he said it was 4mtrs. could be wrong, but either way he was a big boy!

they seem to get the odd stray boxy every year down as far as wello. i remember a coupla years ago a bloke got done by an irukandji at queens beach redcliffe!!! unreal.

cuzza

devocean
17-01-2006, 05:59 PM
With the wet season breeding season coming on big females will move gteat distances to find adequate nests due to the large population of crocs we already have it is hard for the female breeders to find a pl;ace to nest.

For example where I live in NQ crocs are hardly ever seen and most people swim in creeks withiut fear of crocs. However this time of year we have already had 4 sightings and more sightings will continue

devocean
17-01-2006, 06:00 PM
By the way dont woryy about the box jelly its the irakanji buggers that you have to watch out for

LET_IT_RIP
17-01-2006, 08:19 PM
vic hislops got a small croc on display at his show at hervey bay , that he cut out of a white shark off the tip of bribie.I'm pretty sure it says the croc hadn't been in it for more than 2 days
makes ya wonder
graham