PDA

View Full Version : whats best to stop being sea sick?

BenDover
17-01-2006, 07:47 PM
How do you guys stop being sea sick when anchored in rough sea's? Ive only been sick once but my mates wont let me anchor, or they threaten to cuck all on my new boat. :). they dont mind drifting but. I usually feel a bit whoozy when i first stop but then 5 min later im fine. and whats this about bannana's?

trueblue
17-01-2006, 07:52 PM
AVOMINE - ask for it at the chemist. Take it the night before the trip, have a good sleep and then it is good for the whole next day till the same time you took it. 24 hour action. Fantastic stuff.

KWELLS - not as good, taken 30 mins before trip.

Mick

BenDover
17-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Really? Thats awsome mick, thanx. here i was expecting old folk time hangover remidies or something... and its just a pill (im asuming). so they can eat what eva they want but if we are doing a dawn fish just take it in arvo or that night and theres no funny fealing at all?

szopen
17-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Travacalm (I think).

Does not work in very rough seas.

trueblue
17-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Other remedies, anything with ginger, or mint oil in it. Ginger ale drinks, minties etc are also good.

About banannas, they are the worst luck on a boat short of catching a dolphin.

Mick

revs57
17-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Don't forget the pressure bands for the wrists...My missus is a real burley machine and the wrist bands really help her...get them from your local tackle or chandlery outlet

Cheers

Rhys

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
17-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Ginger bread bikkies or ginger lollies work great. Good for any form of travel sickness. Have a bag on hand and make sure they eat some from time to time.

Cheers
Dave

BenDover
17-01-2006, 08:46 PM
thanx, so ill be takn pills, eating ginger bread men, and have sweat bands like a tennis player in the middle of the ocean. sounds like my kinda day. and fingers crossed catchn something.

i also just read that anchor chains scare the fish away?

revs57
17-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Ya can't believe everything you hear BD...get out there and get among it! You're certainly getting the good oil here...you'll soon know as much as the rest of us...but there are still the hit and miss days we all have...the trick is to try to minimise the odds...have you checked things like tide and moon to help increase your catch rate?

Fishing up to the full moon is mostly always the best period in a month and it usually dies off after the full mon for a bit. There are exceptions but as a rule its the case. I find Rothereys fishing chart in Trailer boat Magazine a help as an indicator only...usually...when the weather is good...if possible we're at it!

Good luck

Rhys

BenDover
17-01-2006, 09:07 PM
no i have never tried to fish by the moon. i usually go by the tides though ( fish the tide then come back for a surf then have another go on the next tide). it usually doesnt take much to convince me to throw the boat in the water even just for the thrill of being out there. get a bit sick of not getting any fish but, nothing to show for my day. like working and not getting paid or gambling and loosing. :) but when i do, LOOK OUT!!!!
so whens best, towards the full moon ( a few days before) but not after.

Franco
17-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Mate there was not too recently a pretty big review of this topic in the general chat area where everyone put there comprehensive advice in. Just do a topic search and or go back a few pages in topics. I wrote a medical perspective on the seasickness thing hope that helps.

Huggy_B
17-01-2006, 11:01 PM
it seems a lot of people are swearing by avomine, so I might make the switch from kwells and try it out.

and a good deckie told me that sucking on barley sugar is the good oil also.

BrianC
18-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Whatever you do, don't smell the pilchards!

Volvo
18-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Bananas bein bad luck on boats is old wives tale and "kakka". This started off in the old days of when ships were made of wood and men were made of ??? as the old sayin goes and when bananas were stored in among other fruits n vegies the gas bein expelled from their overipening would put other fruit n vegies off and ye ole banana got the blame as bein bad luck..
Same as Women bein bad luck on Boats :-?, unless you have one that nacker nacker nags they aint bad fishin buddies n sometimes tend to outfish the "Blokes" :-X..
Come in handy cookin up a feed of fish n chips, salad plus make a good brew in between :)...
Missus n i go out fishin we normally cart halfe a fruit shop along with us and bananas are always in among the others..
Cheers