PDA

View Full Version : Not wanting an arguement...just making a point

Elysium
17-01-2006, 03:40 PM
As the heading says I am not looking for an arguement...get enough of them at work to want more here. I will listen to everyones opinions and I have fully read the 2 threads that are currently running that are linked to the point I am about to make.

So once again...not looking for anarguement...Just making a point!

but...

Why is it when there is a boating accident (which is happening more and more often) there is always plenty of concern for the people involved (as should be I guess), and a point of blame seems to be placed on anything bar the operator of the boat. Yet when there is a accident involving a jetski it ALWAYS is automatically blamed on the "irresponsible rider" and never other circumstances.

I am not saying that no jetski accidents are caused by the riders...some/most of them are. But the same could be said in regards to boating accidents as well! Yet the jetskis riders are still branded "irresponsible" and the boaties are just a hard luck story waiting for the news.

2iar
17-01-2006, 03:43 PM
I saw this subject title, and thought uh-oh, here we go! :D

Mike

HarryO
17-01-2006, 04:03 PM
G'day ely,

Thats an easy one...

Jetskis are involved in approx 25% of reported marine
incidences, yet represent less than 5% of registered
marine vessels...

people buy them to have fun, sometimes at the expense
of others..

However, being an arrogant moron is not restricted to
jetski owners alone, but I believe the percentage is
higher amongst them..

Harry..

Harry..

DR
17-01-2006, 04:18 PM
:-X

Seahorse
17-01-2006, 04:22 PM
what a pet subject. jet ski riders prob get more blame because they deserve it. i went down to paradise point on sat and thought might get away from idiots at the pin, but think most are tarred with same brush. is there a sign on jet ski somewhere where it says only flat out allowed. dont turn left or right. go as close to fisherman as possible, and always make sure that there is at least 2 skis. if i only had a big enough boat and motor to chase em.

gif
17-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Harry

where did you get that data?

Gary

HarryO
17-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Hi Gary,

Courier mail, been quoted on several occasions
in the past 12 months.

Bosunsmate
17-01-2006, 05:29 PM
I hate jetski's in general, but that being said.....I have had more problems with pro fishers and crabbers and their arrogance and complete and utter disregard for the law.

I suppose we are forunate enough up here that they mainly play around Magnetic Island, I have heard that they are starting to invade the other waterways around, but I am yet to have a bad experience with one.......

May be I'm just more tolerant.................Not bloody likely........just lucky I guess.......the missus and kids reckon my name and tolerance just don't fit in the same sentence, guess thats why I take happy pills..... :P ;)

Panda
17-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Its simple. Because all jet ski riders are morons. And boaties are sensible and responsible. For example; what is the point of taking a jet ski out when there is no where to put the esky? ;)

I guess I am just bored at the moment, -- work tomorrow.

Robbo16
17-01-2006, 05:57 PM
yeh mate, i get your drift, its kind of like P-Platers and old people on the road. just ignorance i think mate?
Cheers

Bream_Reaper01
17-01-2006, 06:47 PM
I have had a few problems with jetskiers,but what i now see as more of a problem is the big boats doing 30 knots in the broadwater.I saw some huge vessel Sunday,i was 100mt away and the wake this thing pushed out was enormous.You could have surfed it without a problem.I'm in a 4.3mt tinny and i as worried as i was anchored and copped it broadside.If i was in a smaller boat i may have capsized.Can we lobby the government for any boat over maybe 20feet only do 6 knots in the broadwater?

gif
17-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Bream Reaper

"We" is you my friend. So - you can start your lobbying by writting letters to MSB and your local member and the Minister - Paul Lucas.

And encourage others to do so.

Call me if you want some advice

Gary

0412 111 6=573

inspired
17-01-2006, 08:11 PM
nobody nows to slow down near anchored vessels small or large any where

Bream_Reaper01
17-01-2006, 08:37 PM
I know how to and do slow down to 6 knots if within 30mt of boats at anchor,but inspired you are correct, not enough do the correct thing.Gary just pm'd you as i'm having lots of trouble tonight replying to posts.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
17-01-2006, 08:40 PM
People do remember very quickly to slow down to six knots within the range if you yell out and tell them and reach for the mobile phone while they are giving you the finger. Works every time.

Dave

snappa
17-01-2006, 08:48 PM
bugga... just got my jet ski licence... i guess now i'm a moron in control of a haines ,,,,, ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Burley_Boy
17-01-2006, 08:50 PM
I know the issues with big boats in the broadwater and really they are responsible for their wake and marine incidents so if you feel its an issue then please report them.
I know a few with big boats who don't have the balls to exit the seaway so don't expect big bota = knowing what they are doing. Get their rego and report them and I expect it will have an effect.

As far as jetskis go.. I'd expect them to be virually unsinkable so if there is a marine incident with them its usually speed and a crash so its a differnet issue as with a boat broaching or missjudging a wave.

westie
17-01-2006, 08:57 PM
People do remember very quickly to slow down to six knots within the range if you yell out and tell them and reach for the mobile phone while they are giving you the finger. Works every time.

Dave

Yes but don't froget to hold the phone up and make out you have a photo. Ski's or boaties works for both

Hey Snappa I am with you but I a OLD Moroon with a Jet Ski

Angla
17-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Me too..........Boat owner turned Moron turning 46 this year...... Am I in the mid life crisis yet.......Looking for a little motor bike too (4-500cc dirt bike) but only because my son is getting one

Angla

p.s. I think I would be responsible on a Jetski (not) built for speed and jumping things, just held back by ability

bidkev
17-01-2006, 11:39 PM
I think semi-displacement hulls are the biggest threat to the Pin. Moreso than the proposed terminal.. The wash that these buggers put out is in a confined area around places such as Crusoe, which to my knowledge of the last 5 years have been sandy foreshore, and are now coffee rock due to wash. It may well be natures cycle, but anchor bow out often does not deter these bastards snapping the transducer from your rig.

"Bastards" may well be a bit strong but don't tell me that these Chardonnay sipping twerps can't see the wash that is comning off their rigs. Why the need for speed at the pin anyway?

Jet skis? Environmentally, they're insignificant compared to Mr Poser who buys a big boat and never ventures throiugh the seaway.

kev

DICER
18-01-2006, 03:35 AM
jetskiers are egocentric

2iar
18-01-2006, 10:33 AM
I saw this subject title, and thought uh-oh, here we go! :D

Mike

Then I started reading the thread, and thought uh-oh, here we go! :D:D

Completely agree about big boats speed at the 'pin/Broadwater BTW.

Mike

BrianC
18-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Having paddled across the seaway several times in my surfing days I can only say that I am amazed that someone hasn't been killed by a speeding jetski or a speeding cruiser. They don't look, don't care and think that they are god.

Now that I have a boat, I still find myself avoiding idiots on jet skis in Currumbin Bar and Tweed Bar. The worst is when they buzz you or cross your path while crossing the bar making me stop or change course to avoid them. Its a few FW's that cause the lot to be hated and they are stuffing up the sport with their arrogance and stupidity.

Brian C

Always_offshore
18-01-2006, 05:46 PM
i had my first go on a jet-ski the other day,up untill then i thought tyey were annoying #$%$#,but now i reckon there sooooo much fun you shouldnt have to buy one ,they should just give them to you,fair dinkum i reckon everyone in the world should have one [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=argue.gif]

Seahorse
18-01-2006, 05:51 PM
i agree that they prob are fun but just stay away from me while fishing

Dannyboy
18-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Down in NSW more and more shire councils are passing by laws to stop jet ski rideing in there water ways. They tell me its no jet ski rideing in Sydney harbour now!

In my shire we have 9 lakes and already 8 are closed to jet ski, and after the last few weeks I think it will be 9 closed by this time next year.

I had one hit my boat last year while fishing with my little girl! >:( >:( The reason he told the cops he hit me was he was looking back at the skier he was towing!! :o :o
We all walked away but it could have been a bad one.

We need to set a side jet ski areas and let them have fun in the sun just like we do, then we all get to do what we like doing.

Needmorerum
18-01-2006, 10:07 PM
My thoughts would be that if you are a boat owner as well as a Jet Skiier, then you would have some common courtesy towards other boats.
We took the big boat out to the dam the other day to have it bouncing on the trailer while trying to launch, then having the missus struggling to hold it while I was up getting the car when we were retrieving. The jet skiiers and the ski boats are all flogging around and doing donuts in close proximity of the ramp.
Two days later we drop the tinnie in the river and go for a run, to come back and find another jet skiier doing donuts at the ramp in the Calliope.
having some trouble with it his mate reckons, gotta give it a run and this is close to home, he says. Not only were they creating waves around the ramp, they also had their car parked half way up the ramp with the trailer on it.
After a few words with him, and stating my opinion, he yelled out to his mate, who was in the middle of yet another donut, to move further up away from the ramp.
Now why couldn't they do that before hand.
This isn't the first time this has happened to me, Anchored up in the Narrows near the first red marker, I had two jet skis come ripping up from the harbour. I thought, what a buzz, racing up through the narrows to Sea Hill, but they decided to chuck a couple of donuts around the boat and turn them off 30 yards away and pull out there lunch and have a drink. They drifted past, then fired them up and moved 100 yards up from us to drift past us again. The third time I loaded a lead spoon onto the end of a line and flung it out over them, hooking up one of them. When I started to wind him in, he pulled it out and fired the ski up and pissed off. Pity he didn't come over, we could have had a discussion about what I thought of him.
And people wonder why 'most' people hate them. There should be a ban of anything above 6 knots within cooee of a ramp. And then, it should be enforced.

Cheers
Corry

jeffo
19-01-2006, 06:16 AM
group of birds- a flock
group of fish- a school
group of buffalo- a heard

group of jetskis- a pain in the arse.

dont care what any one says jetskis in the river are a pain in the arse, even after the new laws have come into play. i have fished the maroochy river a few times since the new regs came out and they dont seam to care. 15m away and they are going a good 25 knots.

what fun is a jet ski in dead calm water any way? why dont they all take them out into an uncrowded area of the surf beach and play in the waves?

PinHead
19-01-2006, 11:11 AM
What defines a big boat...if you have a 3.5m boat then a 6 metre boat is a big boat. If you have a 6 metre boat then a 10 metre boat may be a big boat...what actually defines a big boat??? I just wish I could afford a 45' Riv. or Bertram.

88fishframe
19-01-2006, 11:24 AM
As a jetski owner and a boat owner, I see the problem with jetskis as this -

They are relatively affordable to purchase and they are built for speed. ;D

The average punter can buy one and start doing anything up to 100kph on the water. Agree or not, excessive speed is dangerous and more so in inexperienced hands. When I get on mine, all you want to do is go fast and have fun [they are not long range cruisers, fishing machines or vessels ideal for a family of four !!]. Unless you are a very responsible operator, it can be easy to forget how much respect the water deserves and that is where the trouble starts.

The new licencing regulations provide more education to users and I think it will assist in the long term to reduce marine incidents involving jetskis.

fish2eat
19-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Kingtin is right on the money about damage.

There are going to be more and more and more boats owned and registered every year, so if you care about our fishing environment, it doesn't matter what size boat you have, the problem could be solved with one simple piece of legislation

"six knots from the top of Russell Island to the Gold Coast Bridge on weekends and public holidays" SIMPLE

otherwise the increasing density of traffic at open speeds will result in more accidents and being near impossible to fish on weekends.

PinHead
19-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Kingtin is right on the money about damage.

There are going to be more and more and more boats owned and registered every year, so if you care about our fishing environment, it doesn't matter what size boat you have, the problem could be solved with one simple piece of legislation

"six knots from the top of Russell Island to the Gold Coast Bridge on weekends and public holidays" #SIMPLE

otherwise the increasing density of traffic at open speeds will result in more accidents and being near impossible to fish on weekends.

I hope your speed limit will apply to ALL vessels...but in reality..it won't happen.

juicyfruit
19-01-2006, 04:31 PM
:-X

ditto

Juicy