PDA

View Full Version : Trip to the Hards - Fuel Required

Big_Ren
19-01-2006, 01:21 PM
I generally fish the Banks and depart from Mooloolaba, but want to expand my horizons on a number of frontiers this year, one being a few trips to the Hards. My only concern is fuel capacity because I have conflicting reports that I will be right and others that say I would be way short on enough fuel. The boat itself is fine (5.7m Haines), but the other relevant facts are:

Motor: 2000 model Johnson Oceanrunner 130hp (2-stroke)
Fuel Tank: 160 litre capacity approximately.
We would be bottom bashing, not trolling

We would be leaving from Mooloolaba to fish the Hards. Do I need more fuel to get there and back on a) a good day b)in not so good conditions. If I do need to carry more fuel, how much more would be adequate.

I am not sure on a precise measurement of fuel economy for our boat, but a "normal" trip to the Banks (about 40nM return trip) would chew about $80-$110 in unleaded based on current prices.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as always.

Cheers
Paul :)

mackmauler
19-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Hey Paul, approx 65 mile return remembering your going further north and a southerly will kick your butt even more should it arrive, your looking at about 150 bucks by your numbers.

rob

Big_Ren
19-01-2006, 02:17 PM
That's the info I was after Rob. Rather err on the side of caution. After the monotonously long run of northerlies, it would be just my luck to cop a freak southerly buster :-[

Cheers and thanks
Paul

Sea_Dragon
19-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Hey Paul,

I would be happy to lend you my 20 Litre fuel cans for the trip.
They will be full ofcourse. ;D.......Just a subtle hint. ;)

Haggis

Big_Ren
19-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Hey Paul,

I would be happy to lend you my 20 Litre fuel cans for the trip.
They will be full ofcourse. ;D.......Just a subtle hint. ;)

Haggis
Very subtle Haggis, very subtle. Full of what should be the question? ;)

Cheers
Paul