PDA

View Full Version : Boat Ramp at Deep Water Bend Pine River ?????

trueblue
19-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Anyone put in a biggish glass boat at deep water bend? I have looked at it a couple of times, but have been dubious about putting mine in there - looks rocky, and I couldn't tell where the end of the ramp was. Maybe there is a steep drop off??

My boat is a 5 1/2 metre glass boat, reasonably heavy and on a long tandem trailer.

Can anyone advise whether or not its a good idea to put in there, and if it is what tide is necessary to keep off the rocks?

Any significant current flow, or wind to deal with that would make it difficult to drive on/off??

Thanks if you can help

Mick

2iar
19-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Hi Mick,

You'd *probably* be right, and you do see boats of this size and bigger being put in there.

However, my advice would be to drive down to Nudgee instead. It's only a 10 minute spin up to the Pine if you want to do your boating there...

Good luck,
Mike

Angla
19-01-2006, 03:24 PM
True Blue
You must be after crabs if you want to put in there. I know a spot where you can get crabs but they are nearly all jennies and the Scarborough ramp is so much better.
If you go there on a good weather day and just look at the trailers to get an indication of the boats that have launched.

(wet day means I'm home early with nothing to do)

Angla :) :)

bidkev
19-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Mick, there can be significant side wind and current at times there. The depth is no problem but the rocks at the side are, as there is nowhere to beach, and running onto the ramp is the only option. I did hear that they may be going to clear the rocks but I wouldn't count on it.

It is also very busy at weekends and not safe from vandals at quieter times.

Where are you intending to fish as other ramps may be a better option although I wouldn't consider Deepwater bend a non-option...........just difficult and unpredictable.

kev

Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. ;D

trueblue
19-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Kingtin

I prefer to fish out the front. But I was just looking at it as a maybe option for a kids day out when the seas are crappy elsewhere.

Maybe I should buy a tinnie too - wouldn't that would really hike up my price per kilo for fish and crabs that I catch!!!!!!!

Mick

bidkev
19-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Kingtin

I prefer to fish out the front. #But I was just looking at it as a maybe option for a kids day out when the seas are crappy elsewhere.

Maybe I should buy a tinnie too - wouldn't that would really hike up my price per kilo for fish and crabs that I catch!!!!!!!

Mick

The Brizzy river? I know what you mean about the tinny though. Traded mine in against a Whittley and then ended up buying another 'cause I missed pottering around the creeks ::) ::)

kev

A critic is a man who knows the way, but can't drive the car. ;D

trueblue
19-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Where is a good place to put in to the Brizzie river from the northside - same issues apply for getting a large glass boat in, and I suspect the current would be pretty strong there as well

Mick

Truck
19-01-2006, 04:54 PM
The pinkenba ramp is fine, you would get your boat in the no dramas!! I see some huge boats going in there every weekend.

Shaun

25_ponies
19-01-2006, 11:22 PM
They're installing a longer pontoon at DWB - http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/NtoMar.nsf/ReferenceLookup/024_t_2006.pdf/$file/024_t_2006.pdf

Still won't change the fact that you'll have to crawl over the rocks if you don't have a drive-on trailer.

Everytime I see that ramp I get frustrated with how well the could have made it (not like they were short on space), but they just arsed it up....

The_Walrus
20-01-2006, 01:50 AM
Have to agree with you, adding a longer pontoon won't make any difference.

That will simply provide more space for those fishing from the shore.

It'll still be a s@#t of a ramp.

Supposedly, fishos were consulted prior to building the ramp ie, conned then insulted.

Luc