PDA

View Full Version : Solunar Tables/Almanac.

bignick
20-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Just interested in people's thoughts on the use of Solunar Tables for offshore fishing. I went back through my offshore results for last year (2005) and they seemed to reflect what the Solunar Tables predicted; ie. if the Almanac said "POOR", that was pretty much how the fishing went. Therefore, I've gone through the Almanac for 2006 and isolated the best (when the Almanac says either "BEST" or "GOOD") times to head offshore. Offshore fishing costs way too much money and requires way too much time and effort to be going out and barely coming back with a feed, if anything. Fishing Moreton Bay, however, seems to rely more on Moons and Tides from my experience. The only other factor to be considered in that regard seems to be the Barometer. Anyone else's thoughts/ideas/opinions would be appreciated as this is a debate that doesn't seem to go away.

Cheers,
NICK.

Sea_Dragon
20-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Nick,
Good on you for comparing the science of the Almanac with your fishing diaries. I think the only way we can work out the science of fish swallowing our hooks more often is one small step at a time. Something like the DNA code. The new techniques and tackle that have been developed certainly have improved everyones chances of late however the question of Barometric pressure combined with Moon phases and the rest is not a matter of an invention, it takes long term studies and masses of data. The only way this can be proven is with Ausfish members keeping diaries and comparing to the Almanac. You heard me.

Haggis the Sea Dragon