PDA

View Full Version : New to it allnd drinking beer

andyfry
19-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Hi,

I've recently emigrated from the UK and want to get into the Aussie lifestyle. That seems to include fishing and drinking beer. Now I'm fine with the drinking beer part, but I could do with some help on the fishing.

I'm going to the Yorke Peninsula for the weekend with the kids, and they are desperate to go fishing for something (don't think they figured out that if it's big enough to eat we need to kill it). They're a bit squeamish, so what can I catch with a lure rather than live bait ? And how do I get the sharp hooky bits onto the string and stuff (yes it is that bad, I know nothing)

Please help if you can.

Thanks

Andy

trueblue
19-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Sounds like you need to go with a local guide first up. Look through the telephone book, give a few a call and go with the ones that have trouble fitting you into their schedule due to heaps of repeat business.

Mick

Hoges
19-01-2006, 03:51 PM
:)

Welcome to Oz and to this site.

Some good information here...
http://www.yorke.sa.gov.au/tourism/fish.html
and here
http://www.yorkepeninsula.com.au/mustsee/boating.aspx

2iar
19-01-2006, 04:37 PM
A trip to your local bait and tackle shop is on order, mate. They'll have all sorts of shiney stuff, and most importantly advice.

Good luck,
Mike

Truck
19-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah your local fishing tackle guy would be the best place to go, but along with your new knowledge and insight they will send you out the door with armfulls of their stock. :)

Shaun

Volvo
19-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Organise to meet up with a few of the Ausfisho's, carton or two or three (ale that is:) )at the closest park, boatramp, river or whatever, pair of snips, some line and a few hooks fer practicin knots and maybe packet or two of pillies of prawns or whatever......Feck :-/ maybe you should just attend the next M&G.........
I'm with Mike lol, trip to your local bait n tackle will help heaps..
Cheers

bushbeachboy
19-01-2006, 05:58 PM
G'day Andy,
Welcome to Oz and to the site. Keep asken questions mate, the blokes and sheilas here have lotsa good info and give it out freely. Hope you've got a sense of humour. And the beer needs to be COLD!!!!!!
Cheers mate.

subzero
19-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Watch out for the Drop Bears up that way and no matter what the locals tell you, wrestling the croc's does not prove true manhood of a "Pom". :o

Enjoy the opportunitys and lifestyle that this great Country has to offer you

From another emigrant (Kiwi)

Kind Regards
Lloyd

Navi
19-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Watch out for the Drop Bears up that way and no matter what the locals tell you, wrestling the croc's does not prove true manhood of a "Pom". #:o

Enjoy the opportunitys and lifestyle that this great Country has to offer you

From another emigrant (Kiwi)

Kind Regards
Lloyd

From another emigrant ? arn't we from the east island of Australia ????? ::)

Cheers Chris (another Kiwi ) 8-)

subzero
19-01-2006, 07:32 PM
New Zealand, the Capital of Australia.
Oops, time to put the flack jacket on
[smiley=oops.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]

Hoges
19-01-2006, 07:40 PM
New Zealand, the Capital of Australia.
Oops, time to put the flack jacket on
[smiley=oops.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]

I was going to flame you but remembered this instead...

A Bloke is having a quiet drink in a bar, leans over to the big guy next to
him and says: "Do you wanna hear a Kiwi joke?"

The big guy replies: "Well, mate, before you tell that joke, you should know
something. I'm six feet tall, 105 kgs and I played rugby as a forward for
the All Blacks. The guy sitting next to me is 6'2", weighs 115 kgs and he's
an ex All Black lock. Next to him is a bloke who's 6'5", weighs 120kgs and
he's a current All Black second rower.

Now, do you still want to tell that Kiwi joke?"

The first bloke says: "Nah, not if I'm going to have to explain it three
times."

;)

al_neibling
19-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Andy,

Welcome to oz, if it's really that bad and you want the kids to have good first experience I would go with a guide, one that supplies everything, at least then when you go to your local you'll have some idea of what your looking for.

I have three kids and they all feel differently about fishing well 2 love it and the other is a bait girl and loves to catch crabs. I think that their first experience has a big bearing on the future of you getting them out again.

Just my thoughts, I am sure the other ausfishes will have heaps of good info for you, they always come through for me when I need a hand ;)

cheers
Al

subzero
20-01-2006, 04:42 AM
Hoges, I dont understand ;D :) ;)
Cheers Lloyd

bidkev
20-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Good 'un Al and good comeback Lloyd ;D ;D

kev

To be patriotic, hate all nations but your own; to be religious, all sects but your own; to be moral, all pretences but your own. ;D

al_neibling
20-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Jeez Lloyd I was proud of that one thought it made perfect sense :-?.................
in a blonde kinda way :P

Kev love the little words of wisdom ;)

Al

bidkev
20-01-2006, 01:58 PM
<snip>

Kev love the little words of wisdom ;)

Al

Wish they were mine Al......I'd be worth a fortune (fortune cookie that is) ;D

kev

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

Dug
20-01-2006, 10:36 PM
How old are the kids?

Buy good quality rods and reels it will make it easier.

I usually take some bait jigs to keep them occupied, if you want to you can impale the bait fish on a big hook for some decent size fish!

while you watch out for the Drop bears, blue ringed octopus and white pointer sharks.

Enjoy Australia ;)