PDA

View Full Version : raising an anchor

BenDover
20-01-2006, 05:28 PM
hey guys, i saw someone on a fishing show the other day raise their anchor by using a float and and the momentum of the boat. ive been looking and reading as much as i can but cant find the set up? does any1 use this system or know of this. and please share the set up with me. sure beats pulling 180 metres of rope up off the reef at the end of a hard day!!

BD

BenDover
20-01-2006, 06:09 PM
ahhhh its ok guys, now i can see how the clip works. that was the part that was throwing me...

DAVE_S
20-01-2006, 06:59 PM
mate i wont call you by your member name poeple might get the wrong idea if you go the stainless ring stop it rather the clip you will find the ball will travel all the way to the anchor and not run back down the anchor rope makes life even easier most boat chandlery places have the ball already made with the stainless circle

BenDover
21-01-2006, 06:51 AM
oh really, thanx dave. i found the ezy lift anchor clip on the net and was just shopping for the cheapest price. but if ppl us just a stainless ring (how easy is that). how many ppl here use a stainless ring instead of the clip?

Angla
21-01-2006, 06:55 AM
I use the one with the clip and not the ring and put the float out when setting the anchor. It's the retreivel that is interesting.

If you are in deep water I have found it easier for the rope to get caught in the prop so you need some one to catch the rope at the side of the boat and hold it at the side while retreiving

If the anchor is snagged hard I just point the boat 15 degrees to the rope side which produces an arc and keep the power on moderately to twist it out
Ive not lost an anchor yet but some have come up super twisted and take a bit to get back into shape

Angla

BenDover
21-01-2006, 08:09 AM
but the clip works easily does it angla? and holds your anchor up? i planned to just use a rock climbing clip and clip the rope to my transom. and my reef anchor bars bent fairly easily.

Angla
21-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Once you master the clip, it takes a second to put on the rope and when it gets to the chan it stops and will not let the anchor drop as it only slides 1 way on the rope.
The only problem I do get is if it climbs down the chain then it is a pain to get off the chain. A ring or stopper at the change from rope to chain would stop this but I just guess by when the float reaches the surface. At that point I just turn 90 degrees and stop, as the boat then drifts towards the anchor and ball, you just reel in the rope gently as the slack appears, and hey presto the anchor is under the ball. Too easy

Angla

Sportfish_5
21-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Get an ancha yanka ;)