PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in The Rain

Scalem
21-01-2006, 06:25 AM
Hi All,

Over the years there have been the occasional trips planned on days like today, where I wake to the sound of serious downpouring of rain on the roof of the house. There have been days when I will ring my deckie, and say "forget about fishing today mate, it will be miserabley wet out there." But by contrast, my discussions with my deckie will go something like " Well it's not cold, just make sure the bilge pump is working, bring the spray jackets and there is no wind to make it dangerous to go out"

With the added benefit of GPS, even if visibility is low, going to spot X is a breeze by following previous routes, there have been such trips where, once you get out there, there's nobody else, the fish seem unaffected, and whether its my imagination, sometimes the fish seem more willing to come out and play during the rain.

Today, I have elected to stay home, too many things to do anyway, but mowing the grass is not one of them! Would be interesting to see your responses, it might help some of you deal with the frustration of having cancelled your plans to go out on the water! LOL ;D ;D

Scalem

skippa
21-01-2006, 07:02 AM
Providing its not too windy or bucketing down its not a bad time to go. If you have a suitable boat with plenty of cover you then dress for the occassion.

Some parts of the bay actually fish well, if not better than if was a bright sunny day. ;)

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

bignick
21-01-2006, 07:10 AM
I do not knowingly go fishing in the rain for the simple reason I hate getting wet, and when you get wet on a boat, you stay wet and everything you own gets wet. I think this reluctance to get wet comes from the 3 years that I rode a motorcycle as my primary form of transport. But, if you get caught in a bit of a shower, then that's the way it goes; just hope you remembered to put the wet weather gear in.

Cheers,
NICK.

juicyfruit
21-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Bit of rain never melted anyone.
Wind is more of a concern/facture. *stops feeding Thumps Baked Beans*
Nothing better then coming home from a wet day fishing and jumping in the shower and then into dry clothes.

Juicy

thumps
21-01-2006, 08:07 AM
>:(

finga64
21-01-2006, 08:23 AM
Brian, Brian,
you nancy boy!!! ;D
Go and get wet.
So what has Lesley got planned for you for today then?? Hope it's lots of chores ;)
How was the holidays???

Scalem
21-01-2006, 08:28 AM
Ahhh.... Juicy,

You are 100% right there, that was my start to red wine addiction. It was Fraser Island, pouring rain, out for hours catching Tailor, came home to Cathedral Beach tourist park where the showers are hot. Knocked a fillet off a fish, cooked on the Barbie plate with a bottle of red to wash it down. Fantastic!

thumps
21-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Brian, Brian,
you nancy boy!!! ;D
Go and get wet.

well said :) :)

Scalem
21-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Gidday Finga!

Mother in Law flys back to Perth today, so Les is taking her to the airport as we speak. You've discovered one of the reasons I am not out there getting wet! LOL Would be very disrespectful for me to have gone fishing today instead. I loaded her bags into the boot of the car, that should be enough shouldn't it? LOL ;D ;D

I think I better start vaccuuming the house now, might get me some brownie points!! LOL

Scalem

Commodore
21-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Dont mind fishing with some wind ::)
Dont mind fishing with some rain :P
But if its blowing and raining...forget it :(

Huggy_B
21-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Dont mind fishing with some wind #::)
Dont mind fishing with some rain #:P
But if its blowing and raining...forget it #:(

^ yeah that

szopen
21-01-2006, 11:43 AM
The simple truth in life is:

For fishing the weather is either good or very good.

The_Walrus
21-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Wind is more of a problem than rain.
Unless it's really pouring down and the bilge pump can't cope with the inflow. ::)

It's a bit like not going swimming when it's raining ;D

Luc

roz
21-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Will fish in almost anything, and have done!!

shaman
21-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I dunno whether I was a Viking or maybe Spencer Tracey in a past life but I luv fishing in a downpour or even goin out when it's set in. I reckon they bite stronger and more often with a bit of feed action which occurs in the rain. I don't like gettn' soaked but when there's water running down your back and under ya hood??? Senfknsational. :D
P.s when I used to smoke it was a bugger. They'd always fall to bits. :'(

morty103
21-01-2006, 04:17 PM
The best lure fishing session of my life was in cold heavy rain

charleville
21-01-2006, 09:31 PM
I will fish in the rain if no wind but I am always surprised just how much water gets collected in the boat when it rains. Have had to use the bilge pump a few times and there is plenty of it.

Volvo
21-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Some of my best catches have been in light rain..Good seas, no wind , no work and i'm out there :)...

catchy_fishy
22-01-2006, 04:08 AM
Love the rain - bank, shore or being out 9although on the boat it can get cold. If the wind is down I'll be out. Had some of my best fishing in the rain -will do it again definately

major-defect
22-01-2006, 05:32 AM
I would choose rainy days for bream fishing when I lived down there.I couldn't live where i do if I didn't like thw rain.

Scalem
22-01-2006, 07:04 AM
Come to think of it, there was an outing at the Pin where the chopper tailor were calving up a bait school around the Kalinga Banks area, and they attacked just about any slugs you threw at them. This was during a heavy rain and my deckie wanted to go home he was getting too cold. Once you start getting cold the enthusiasm leaves you pretty quickly! Important to have a good spray jacket!

Scalem

thumps
22-01-2006, 07:26 AM
i think what people forget is.....that rainy days create a false light condition...similar to first light/last light...both peak periods for fish feeding behaviour

those fish that feed by sight will exploit this time .

ask any one if the fish first or last light..and the answer would be a resounding yes....

water can only get you wet...although im told it melts Queenslanders ;D

Hookem_Herby
22-01-2006, 07:29 AM
Will fish in almost anything, and have done!!

C'mon Roz ....my boat ain't that bad!!! :o :P ;D
Ditto, must remember to take my medication ALL the time. ::) :-* :D

Herby

rando
22-01-2006, 11:50 AM
I got pretty desparate for a fish on my holidays and the weather wouldnt give us a break so I said bugger it Im going fishing , Ihad two memorable sessions in the rain
One i was fishing Moriarity's wall for a jew with a live tailor on. It rained so hard I couldnt see the beach 100 mtres away and blew so hard the rain hitting my legs felt like bullets, my legs stung for mintes after the squall passed.I was wet as a shag.
Second one was out on the breakwall , same thing, I was already wet through from spray so the rain did'nt matter, Had a few moments of fear when, twice, lightning stuck nearby. Looked over to the south breakwall and actully saw the Nav beacon get hit. Put the rod down and sat down for a while , the fish were'nt biting anyway ;D ;D
rando
PS. nobody can say I dont try hard enough ;D ;)

jefro
22-01-2006, 12:07 PM
as long as you are on the water fishing ;)