PDA

View Full Version : Are you a good enough fisherman to survive by subs

bigmack
23-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Situation - Bird Flu Outbreak - government closes down all business for six months to contain bird flu; means no work and no income. Flu Anti viral medication has been stockpiled by government for senior politicians and business leaders to keep the country running..........or only the rich and doctors and family & friends can afford the treatment.

How would you survive?
Do you have a plan just in case - are you stockpiling food & water? Just in case?
What happens to your debts if you cant work?
Could you survive by fishing and your own vegetable garden?

Hypothetical --------- maybe not after watching the business sunday program

What do you all think ? I would be interested to hear views from the medical fraternity people who post on this site - and what the actual reality of the threat might be!

Post away
Phill

fishingnottake
23-01-2006, 11:09 AM
wouldnt need 6 months to contain the bird flu, according to the news reports we'd be dead in seconds, seriously though, its a crock, al flu's started out as bird flu, or cow flu or sheep flu etc, and not everyone is susceptible nor dies, it;s not the apocolpyse

fish2eat
23-01-2006, 11:12 AM
The way I'm going at the moment it would be a great weight loss technique

Panda
23-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Since the bird flu tends to hit the young and healthy hardest, you can imangine the scenerio of all these upwardly mobile middle class people crowded on an island to escape the plague and some guy with a runney nose drags his boat up on the beach. ;D

mackmauler
23-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Phill, u might survive on protein shots after the scopolamine ;D good luck at ya m and g if zeeker gets hold of ya ;D

Hookem_Herby
23-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Phill, u might survive on protein shots after the scopolamine ;D good luck at ya m and g if zeeker gets hold of ya ;D

;D ;D
Phill, just make sure you're surrounded by plenty of alcohol and you should be able to keep him at arms length. It's like cryptonite to the young man :o ::)
Cya there Tim!

Back to the subject - interesting post Phill. One of my best mates works for the manufacturer who makes the anti viral medication so I think I'll be ok. He's got enough for family and friends he reckons. :P ::)
Will be worth a fortune on the black marhet if the worst does happen. :-X

Cheers,
Herby
p.s. Am interested to hear from people in the medical fraternity as well.

masterdusky
23-01-2006, 12:48 PM
The reason it hits the young hardest is because its not the virus which kills,but the bodies own immune system response.Basically ur own body over compensates.So those with weak immune systems are less likely to suffer seriously or even death.the problem is at the moment it is not airborne virus,BUT if in the near future,which possibll isnt that far away a carrier of the common flu,then contracts the bird flu...well then it could become airborne.

toymod
23-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Bring it on........ I like the sound of this weight loss program....and to top it all off no work no bills gotta love that ;D

Better go and stockpile alot of chips beer and smokes ;)

maztez
23-01-2006, 01:44 PM
HERE HERE ;D ;D ;D CHIPS N BEER N SMOKES N BAIT N FUEL ::) ::)

Rainbowrunner
23-01-2006, 04:45 PM
when its time its time

Navi
23-01-2006, 04:55 PM
HAPPY DAYS No bill's cause the postman can't work , no worries as long as some one can tell me the size sail I need to make to power my boat after the first week of running the motor to get fish for dinner.

Cheers Chris 8-)

Dug
23-01-2006, 05:35 PM
The plan is only 1/4 of the worlds population dies so reducing the burden on infrastructure.

Of the 1/4 probably 60 to 70% of them will be in third world countries.

In Australia there should not be any major problems most people have more food in their cupboards than small african nations.

Remember the Y2K panic and the end of civilization as we know it?

The flu is passed by aerial droplets and close physical contact basic aseptic practices should keep most people safe.

Wear a face masks and wash your hands before eating.

As for stockpiling food just follow a well fed person home and threaten to sneeze on them.

My older relatives lived through the first world war Gallipoli, the Western Front and then the Spanish Flu epidemic, when I got sad or miserable to cheer me up they used to sing

"Cheer up Sonny you'll soon be dead,
it's a short life but a gay one"

And

"We're all going to die,
We're all going to die,
It doest matter what we do,
We're all going to die!"

Fishinmishin
23-01-2006, 05:35 PM
At least after it all passes you could probably find parking space at Palmy or Banks ;D.
Cheers, Jay

baldyhead
23-01-2006, 06:32 PM
So whos got an AK47 buried in a tube underground ? May turn out a bit like MAD MAX...if you have guns and fuel...you will be ok ? A chilling scenario

shaman
23-01-2006, 06:35 PM
I'm pretty sure I could catch enough fish to feed my family if only one feed a day ( mullet, herring & yabbies are edible). But how long till the beer runs out? :-X ARGHHHH
P.S. I know at this stage it's only foul & waterfoul but should I strangle my cockatiel just in case ;D

Dug
23-01-2006, 06:57 PM
I don't eat fish :-[

And the dog is looking old and stringy. :(

I was born in Fiji so cannibalism may be a culturally acceptable option. ;)

fishingnottake
23-01-2006, 07:16 PM
So whos got an AK47 buried in a tube underground ? #May turn out a bit like MAD MAX...if you have guns and fuel...you will be ok ? A chilling scenario
yeah it;s about time the farmers got a break. ;)

PinHead
23-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Situation - Bird Flu Outbreak - government closes down all business for six months to contain bird flu; means no work and no income. Flu Anti viral medication has been stockpiled by government for senior politicians and business leaders to keep the country running..........or only the rich and doctors and family & friends can afford the treatment.

How would you survive?
Do you have a plan just in case - are you stockpiling food & water? Just in case? - NO PLAN
What happens to your debts if you cant work? - HAVE NO DEBTS
Could you survive by fishing and your own vegetable garden? I DON'T DO VEGES...I HATE THE SCREAMS AS YOU SLICE AND DICE THEM ..VEGES HAVING FEELINGS ALSO
Hypothetical --------- maybe not after watching the business sunday program

What do you all think ? I would be interested to hear views from the medical fraternity people who post on this site - and what the actual reality of the threat might be!

Post away
Phill

DICER
24-01-2006, 03:07 AM
I have the flu ATM. My two daughters got through quicker than I did.

Was in bed yesterday and I had to chuck in a sickie today. Quark!

Probably SARS will be around again before H5N1. H5N1 is already a killer to those who have come in contact with it, like in Turkey (including teenagers). About 12 mutations are needed before it becomes a super pandemic killer like it was in 1918. The virus that infected the teenagers in Turkey have already been sequenced - and yes the virus has picked up another mutation, making it more of a killer.

Am I stock piling ? cough cough cough sneeze!

bigmack
24-01-2006, 10:55 AM
You guys are funny - make your own beer - its easy - stockpile a few kits on the shelf and its 32 large brown bottles everytime - too easy.

Just an interesting thought and post as Herby agreed - I know that some of the large corporates who run Loss Prevention Divisions are running the situation as real and the governments are - I understand that airports have already been setup so they can turn hangars into isolation wards. Yes it might put paid to a few overpopulation probles at that - mother nature takes revenge in large and exacting chunkc sometimes.

Anyway - back to the fishin - the paper says today spotty macks from Mooloolaba to Currimundi, so what am I doing in here?

Phill -(:)<

Mr__Bean
24-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Since the bird flu tends to hit the young and healthy hardest, you can imangine the scenerio of all these upwardly mobile middle class people crowded on an island to escape the plague #;D

Hey this sounds like to go......

Maybe we could call it Bribery Island!!!!

Hmmm........................ maybe this has already occured............

- Darren

bungie
24-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Some of the Major world banks are taking it VERY seriously, calculating they will be down 60% of staff and drawing up strategies to be able to still run their banks so under staffed

caloundra
24-01-2006, 06:18 PM
LOL bungie
thats normal pratice, just close a couple more branches ::)

bungie
24-01-2006, 06:40 PM
;D.

szopen
24-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Big companies (not only banks) run such a worst case scenarios quite often.

From the info on Australia that I have seen it seams that a total ban on entry will be put in place in case.

This will mean people will be still able to leave but no entry back.

I have not seen any mention of total countrywide business and operations closure anywhere in the world.
Normal procedures call for isolating particular areas.

I know that for most of you this is just a distant news and ramblings but I live in place where SARS originated (actually 50km from there) and I heve been here throughout the whole thing.

Things like that are taken quite seriously here.
We still measure everybody temperature when they arrive at work.

And on a lighter note.
With no fuel for boats and cars I guess the local catfish poulation would gain in popularity.

2iar
25-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Some of the Major world banks are taking it VERY seriously, calculating they will be down 60% of staff and drawing up strategies to be able to still run their banks so under staffed

If that's the case, I'd be more than happy if 40% of the teller windows were staffed in my bank. Yer lucky to have 3 open at the same time these days, and it's a CBD branch. >:(

Mike

fish2eat
25-01-2006, 09:03 AM
when people get into self-survival mode, rules and regs will be the first thing to go

Look at the anarchy that broke out after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

Best to get over to straddie, pitch a tent and don't worry about sizes and bag limits anymore

Phoenix
25-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Fraser sounds like a good option to me.

DICER
25-01-2006, 11:13 AM
szopen - have you had civet cats for dinner yet? I heard they taste good :o

szopen
25-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Dicer,

Had a few.

Tastes like ordinary cat crossed with a fox.

Not bad.