PDA

View Full Version : Think before you say what you mean.

bidkev
24-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Old news but I find this document flawed. On the one hand they illustrate how easily night vision can be impaired, and yet see what they say in section 2. I know what they are *probably* trying to say, but if you're gonna instruct, then you should say *exactly* what you mean.

Anyone who's had a spotlight shone at them, knows full well, just how that can ruin your night vision. Flash a torch by all means, but not directly at approaching vessels surely?

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/MSQ.nsf/ReferenceLookup/r14_8_2004.pdf/$file/r14_8_2004.pdf

kev

Examine what is said, not who speaks.

fish2eat
24-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Read the document Kev but can't see any real problem. It is indicating that he should attract the attention of the other vessel, doesn't say shine it in his eyes.

A couple of quick flashes are all that may be needed, but the whole point of the report was that the guy could clearly see the boat with its anchor light on.

When I motor round at night in the old cruiser at 7 knots, I am truly appalled at the number of boats, big and small who don't use an anchor light or even nav lights.

If the cops went out at night, the fines they issue would more than cover the double time overtime rates they were paid, and word might get around to use lights after sunset.

Book em both.....too much spped, no using lights

toymod
24-01-2006, 03:38 PM
So true everytime you head out at night is so dangerous you are ontop of them before you realise that there is a boat there. I would realy hate to hit someone let alone for a stupid reason of not having a light on..........gets me so hot under th collar this >:(

HarryO
24-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Yeah,

Gotta agree, can be bloody scary at times.

Was scootin out to Harry's early one morning (2am)
Was a new moon (pitch black) and was lookin at a
light that could've been a star or an incoming plane
in the distance, I got a bit sus, eased off the throttle,
turned on the spottie, and right in front of me was an
anchored yacht (dark colour)
and the star turned out to be the very dim light 8 odd metres
up the mast.

Deadset, couldn't see it, hey...

Darn near crapped my daks...

Never get complacent.....

Harry..

Mad-One
25-01-2006, 04:15 AM
I agree there is to many out there at night without nav or anchor lights.
Book em cos they endanger thier lives and everybody else's

Phil

maztez
25-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Had the same happen on many occasions heading out of the seaway >:( >:(some fishos just dont value their life or the life of others ..book em I say
cheers Terry

shaman
25-01-2006, 07:14 PM
I was sitting out at the pin one night no moon black as pitch was all lit up but could hear this outboard screaming and getting closer but couldn't see anything. Wife panicking, me sh!tting myself until a speedboat shot past doin' about 40 knots with absolutely no lights.
Why do people do stuff like that? HELLO!!!! :-/ :-X :-/

ken4159
25-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Went from Raby Bay to 4 beacons about 3.30-4.00 am 3 weeks ago. Top day no wind & lots of boats "WITH NO F--KEN LIGHTS" no stern lights or anchor light if not moving, large number with no lights at all includes navagation(red, green & stern) lights, nearly piloted 2T of boat @ 30 kN over at least 1 boat, crew spoted him in nick of time to avoid collision.

Thats my spit. " Guys turn lights on for christs sake" where only here once.

Goanna