PDA

View Full Version : Can Boats raise Fish ????

bigmack
20-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Sometime ago I read a story about a particluar boast ability to raise gamefish - it (apparently) had something to do with resonance of boat/props/hull or something like that in combination. Does anyone have any first hadn experience of this or had the experience of being on one of these "Lucky" boats.

Would like to hear your story -

Thanks
Phill

bigmack
20-01-2006, 10:28 AM
sorry spell check - should read particluar boats and first hand -

Fire away -

BrandonH
20-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Not sure about this one but I have heard that if you troll up north in the creeks on idle you attract the big lizards! Not about to test that one out either!

Cheers
Brandon...

jeffo
20-01-2006, 12:35 PM
a very big YES

the biggest teaser you have out there chasing gamefish is the boat, the props, the wash, the harmonics and the vibrations.

and yes there is strong evidence to support the fact that certain boats raise fish better than others.

i have seen it plenty of times now, the fish seam tuned into the sound of one particular boat out there some days.

one day a boat i was on caught 5 billfish sharing the same bait school with nearly 20 other boats, between them all i think there was 2 or 3 other fish tagged.

also one day i was on the other side, blue marlin fishing of the shelf, 2 boats raised over 10 fish between them, working the same patch of water we saw only 1 fish.

gavsgonefishing
20-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Another thing that happens a lot, a new boat arrives to fish a bait school, drop the baits over and hooks up within minutes, the other boats on the school have been fishing there for a while.

Happened to me 2 seasons ago, double hookup within minutes. Also seen it happen several times

thumps
20-01-2006, 01:54 PM
a mate of mine who runs his own Charter operation...raises more fish in his boat than any other operater in the area.....all the others follow his boat hoping to get into the action

Mad_Barry
20-01-2006, 02:39 PM
a very big YES

also one day i was on the other side, blue marlin fishing of the shelf, 2 boats raised over 10 fish between them, working the same patch of water we saw only 1 fish.

Yeah, but they're easy. I was reading something the other day from a first time angler getting 2 of 'em, and got to drive the boat, without even sitting on the skippers lap ;D

bidkev
20-01-2006, 04:42 PM
I think I read that as well. ;) ;D

kev

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

Sea_Dragon
20-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Kingtin, i will never tire of your quotes!

bidkev
20-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Kingtin, i will never tire of your quotes!

Thank you. As a person that worries a lot........One of my favourites ;D

Ulcers are something you get from mountain climbing over molehills.

bidkev
20-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Does anyone know of any research relating to this. I remember reading (but I can't remember where), that diesels had better results, and stern drives better than outboards. Any comments?

ta

kev

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

thumps
20-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Does anyone know of any research relating to this. I remember reading (but I can't remember where), that diesels had better results, and stern drives better than outboards. Any comments?

ta

kev

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

no research...but my mates boat is a single screw stern drive diesel

gavsgonefishing
21-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Ah another thing I find works is loud cold chisel, works every time ( not that the billies have a choice) ;D

I was listening to some live deep purple from my aging cd collection, I reckon that has a good chance of raising them as well.

No wonder I cant keep a deckie

Grand_Marlin
21-01-2006, 10:25 AM
BigMack,
If you really want the answer to this, and most of lifes other mysteries, look for Paulez2 on here - he is an expert on, well, everything...

Grand_Marlin
21-01-2006, 10:30 AM
In my experience 3 things seem to really work"
1) diesels
2) sharkcats
3) yellow hulls

Funny enough, I have just bought a yellow sharkcat with a diesel sterndrive - I should now be unstoppable ;D ;D ;D

I will keep you informed

juicyfruit
21-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Ah another thing I find works is loud cold chisel, works every time ( not that the billies have a choice) ;D

I was listening to some live deep purple from my aging cd collection, I reckon that has a good chance of raising them as well.

No wonder I cant keep a deckie

If you keep playing Deep Purple or Barnsy on your boat I will be your deckie without hesitation.

Juicy

jeffo
23-01-2006, 06:17 AM
you hancox boys are all the same ::) ;D

Lone_Wolf
23-01-2006, 08:02 AM
It's think its as simple as the bubble trail from your motor. The fish follow it up, hence the need for a teaser bait 20 metres back from the boat when trolling. I saw a cobia and a spanish mak caught on consecutive days this month doing this.

DICER
23-01-2006, 08:21 AM
dolphins too... flipper as well

I thought I'd post a link to an opposing opinion though

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1137927157/0#2

Perhaps this only applies in estuarys - in which boats stress fish
While open seas - particular motors attracts fish, seeing it as a chance for a feed

I was once on a boat that rounded up bait schoals by doing donuts. Do any of you practice this?

charexblue
26-01-2006, 07:20 AM
:)donuts :)deep purple :D mozart ::) fair star fun ship ;D oh my gosh all that would give me a headache :) ;) but maybe the burley might catch some fish ;D as for the boat motors yeh have seen some boats get great catches while those near you don't. { have to change that song "Some girls {boats} do and some boats don't} :)
In humour :) interesting post , all the best peter

nofrills
26-01-2006, 10:30 AM
i did read somewhere ages ago that pelagics seemed to be more attracted to deep base notes than high pitched treble notes,ive got no idea how they tested it but i definatley read it.

the other thing is the positive verses negative ions thing.the digi troll on my boat can send positive ions charges down the cable which is supposed to attract fish.where as a negative charge will chase them away.i have no idea if it works or not but it cost heaps so i keep it cranked up ::)