PDA

View Full Version : Extremly stupid Q.

BenDover
25-01-2006, 02:29 PM
I had an argument today with some guys at work about wind direction! so i made a bet with them. If its a southeasterly wind direction. does that mean it comes from the southeast or is heading to the southeast??

Ps. no messing around and giving the wrong answers purposely because they will be reading this? :)
Thanx BD

juicyfruit
25-01-2006, 02:31 PM
which did u bet on?

juicyfruit
25-01-2006, 02:31 PM
and how much did u just lose?

Maria
25-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Coming from that direction mate.

Louis
25-01-2006, 02:41 PM
G'day Ben,

Maria speaks the truth.

The wind gets its name from the direction from which it is coming.

I hope you won the bet.

Louis

BenDover
25-01-2006, 02:46 PM
yeah ofcourse i won. ive surfed all my life. they are just alcho's lol. i have lost bets to them in the past but...

BenDover
25-01-2006, 02:50 PM
i cant beleive i even questioned myself once. but when its 2 on 1 argueing they neirly made me think i was wrong :). they also recon that the wind cant change a full 180 degree's in 1 swing. but ive seen it happen.

ps. sucked in boys!!
anti up...

fish2eat
25-01-2006, 03:10 PM
take it from a former sailor (state & national champ) the wind can and does swing 180deg......have been on the right side and wrong side of those changes. Have seen it go from 3knots to 40 knots in seconds, although both times it had bad consequences I could see it coming across the water.

Keep em betting.......we'll back ya

Leo_N.
25-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Maybe they were confused between wind and current. I believe that current direction is described as the direction it is heading, not coming from. Or was that just someone having a lend of me?

BenDover
25-01-2006, 06:22 PM
i dont know, current has always been discribed to me as going from eg... north to south or up or down stream.

Panda
25-01-2006, 07:53 PM
And to really confuse the matter, just look up what "up wind" and "down wind" mean in official terms.

straddie
25-01-2006, 08:01 PM
A southerly wind is blowing from the south, a southerly current is moving toward the south. Now just to get those double or nothing bets coming in, which way do offshore and onshore winds go ;D

martini
25-01-2006, 08:18 PM
fish2eat
I have also seen the wind do a 180
Usually when in the middle of a race the breeze drops out completely and then comes in from the opposite direction.
It usually happens around the same time as the change of tide.

What class was your Nat and state titles.
My son just returned from 16s Nats

Dug
25-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Wind direction? I have seen our boat change direction 180o coming down the face of a wave :o

Not something I would like to do again.

adam_ngakiri
26-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Gotta love those westerly winds howling when trying to cast out on the beach (in queensland). That means the wind is coming from the west. Casting into an easterly wind is hell.

adam_ngakiri
26-01-2006, 10:02 AM
you won that bet Ben but its a good thingh you didnt place a wager on the spelling of "nearly" - neirly would have seen you lose the $$$$$
:)

Canoedle
26-01-2006, 10:05 AM
ROFL I had a guy telling me a southerly wind was from the north the other day, but I just bit my lip. ignorance is bliss. ;)

MulletMan
26-01-2006, 10:24 AM
................... not a dumb question really!
The wind is also in TRUE degrees of the compass and not magnetic like your boats compass .......... the difference?........B**g**all!
But it gets worse, there is an INDRAFT and an OUTDRAFT due CORIOLIS effect of the spinning earth, up to 30 degrees difference in direction sometimes ............. difference? even more B**g**all!
You want more you say?
If you face directly into the wind and look along your left shoulder then in that direction you will find the area of LOW Barometric pressure. Called BUYS BALLOT Law ........ Difference? ................ As above!
Ummmmmmm. what was the question?

wayne_cook
26-01-2006, 10:41 AM
with current i've always called it uphill or downhill then add specs. if need be, but i've had guys confused by these simple terms.

BenDover
26-01-2006, 01:49 PM
i havnt really look at tides and currents that much but just to see for myself on the wind subject! i grabbed a compass and was going to head out to the 24 for a fish this mornin and standing on the rockwall at the seaway with no obstuctions for the wind to hit is was coming dead east at about 10 knots. was that predicted? at 4 am. decided not to even go out as it felt like it was getting stronger.
my mate who checked the weather and came down with me said it was suppossed to be light southerly early and stronger se later at 18 kph. yet i have ditched fishing trips because of strong wind predictions and gone down with my surfboard to find no wind at all.

but i knew something would have gone wrong, i mean cant have nice weather and a perfect day on public holiday! :)

BenDover
26-01-2006, 01:51 PM
ps. thanks for telling me the correct spelling for neirly adam, now ill teach you how to spell thingh (thing) correctly. ;D

theoldlegend
26-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Hey PP,

I get a fair bit of outdraft some mornings, and it's not due to the earth spinning, but more likely what I had to eat the night before.

TOL

kc
26-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Another spellink mistake.........the correct spelling of outdraft is FART

Get it rite

juicyfruit
27-01-2006, 07:29 AM
;D too funny

BenDover
27-01-2006, 07:39 AM
ha, if we keep pointing out spelling mistakes we will be here forever...