PDA

View Full Version : The power of mother nature

reelcrazy
27-01-2006, 03:45 AM
Came across this link in a Usenet forum, it's a salutory lesson in the power of mother nature and our own fragile existence with her.

Take nothing for granted, remember it happened in Darwin in '75.

http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/showthread.php?t=6159&page=1&pp=50

MAL
27-01-2006, 06:25 AM
Hi reelcrazy, really shows you what mother nature can do, brings back vivid memoriesof christmas night in 74, mum, dad and my sister taking cover in the bathroom and me in the toilet area (good place to be that night) ;D.

Cheers.

MAL.

MAL
27-01-2006, 06:29 AM
Bloody hell, forgot about my little brother, he was there to, sorry John. ;D

Cheers.

MAL. ::)

krazyfisher
27-01-2006, 06:40 AM
those pics sure make you think

DICER
27-01-2006, 08:18 AM
graveyard, ghostowns, gone - that's a lot of damage. Just doesn't register in some pics - you look and look, the you start seeing. Cars sandwiched under damaged buildings, stuff just everywhere. I think the best thing is for another hurricane to wipe the slate clean! So much mess, so much damge.

reelcrazy
27-01-2006, 08:50 AM
graveyard, ghostowns, gone - that's a lot of damage. Just doesn't register in some pics - you look and look, the you start seeing. Cars sandwiched under damaged buildings, stuff just everywhere. I think the best thing is for another hurricane to wipe the slate clean! So much mess, so much damge.

You are right about the scale of devastation, the brain just cannot comprehend the scope of what the eye can see.

The pictures clearly show the power of what a category 4/5 driven storm surge can do, this is what caused the damage, driving large buildings from their foundations and depositing them miles away.

You have to wonder when we humans will learn from this. Commonsense would say let the place return to nature, but they will rebuild despite meteorological science predicting that the forthcoming season will be just as bad as the last, and the frequency of these storms may increase.