PDA

View Full Version : trailer protection

legless
25-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Has anyone got the name of a good GAL' protection solution, looking at one that requires just being brushed over trailer. Any ideas

bidkev
25-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Just spray with Inox. Bunnings will order it in bulk for you, or ask Sundown for a price. They'll probably beat any of the opposition at the moment.

kev

Leo_N.
25-01-2006, 07:07 PM
I used Lanoguard. Anything with Lanolin in it will be good protection.

bigbrian47
25-01-2006, 07:57 PM
i did the same as leo, new trailer 3 years ago bought 5ltr lanoguard liquid used a 500ml pump pack
to spray the trailer. so far no sign of rust still plenty of lanoguard left, it goes a long way,
i left the trailer in the sun to warm it as suggested in the instructions
used lano grease on the springs so far so good
brian

HarryO
25-01-2006, 11:30 PM
Hi Kev,
no dis-respect to your post intended,
but a few years ago I did an experiment
with INNOX ($8) , RP7($3.50), and a cheapie brand
of dewatering fluid. (5star $1.oo)

We stocked all 3 on our shelf, so it was easy.

I had 3 offcut pieces of threaded rod about 4' long,
and I sprayed each one with a different product, to
test which had the better protection properties...

(I get anal about stuff like this)

I left them on the bench outside the workshop
overnite, (no rain, but dew) and in the morning,
and the one that was sprayed with INNOX
was covered in surface rust, the other 2 were fine.

I think the fact that INNOX is the only one approved for
use in food preparation areas that they have to leave
the nasty cancer causing ingredients out that do the
protecting...

Try this for yourself...

Regards, Harry.

retiredandfishing
26-01-2006, 06:05 AM
use coldgal. paint it on from can.

MulletMan
26-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Tectyl 506 is a brilliant product that lasts ten years plus ........... but .............. it is really messy stuff as it comes out in brown rubbery film that tends to come off when you touch it so I would recommend it for out of reach areas around the axles and springs etc. but not where Mum and the kids walk past.

Ordinary old Silver Frost paint is still a winner though not all that well known these days.

Many trailers are not waterproof in the chassis rails so they will gradually fill with water and even condensation can form in them to start rust from the inside out. Good idea to drill a bung hole up the front somewhere and pour in some straight Fisholene. It will splash about during trailering and provide a good long term cover for any rust that wants to start.

Fisholene remains my choice of all the products. It no longer stinks and comes in spray packs and/or bulk bottles. Dries nice and hard and if applied properly will give you long term protection.

In most cases of trailer corrosion, the cancer starts UNDERNEATH the chassis rails as this is where all the salt collects and is often missed in the wash down process. Nuvver idea is to stick a hose sprinkler under the whole shebang and let it rip for 5-10 minutes.

Days end, the H2O from a hose is still hard to beat!!!

I did 8 years with VMR and we installed a Lanolin Spray bottle on each vessel and once the boat was launched the guys went looking for corrosion when it was a lot easier to access the trailer without a boat sitting on it.

I guess like anything, if you want a good protective layer, then the removal of ALL rust is essential even though many of the manufacturers say it's OK to put on over rust - don't believe 'em!

Ime dun!

onerabbit
26-01-2006, 09:49 AM
I recently rebuilt my trailer, after the construction work was done i brush painted the whole thing with killrust primer, then brushed waterproof sealer then a couple of cans of killrust spray enamel, several coats of fish oil, then fish oil every month or 2. It looks like the exxon valdese every time i put it in the water, but if the water can't touch it , it cant rust it. No such thing as overkill when it comes to the boat. Muzz

nodjule
26-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Its all well and good to say wash your trailer down thoroughly, the trouble is the real damage is done while you are out fishing for 6 or so hours, while your trailer is sitting at the car park covered with salt, I seen a programme on the ABC a couple of years ago singing the praises of lanoline, pretty impressive stuff.
Maybe someone from one of the fishing shows could do a myth busters type segment on the different products, surely there are members out there that have input into one of the fishing shows..

BENJI
26-01-2006, 11:54 AM
I use sump oil

MulletMan
26-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Not a bad point Nodjule re the time the trailer is spent waiting for you to return but there is no way any sort of rust is going to get going in that amount of time if - and I repeat if - the unit is in reasonably good shape to start with! If it is already full of rust pits, holes. cracks and the like of course the salt crystals will set in there and speed up the rust. An interesting topic I once found was that salt crystals will not wash off with fresh water once they have dried unless the water temp is increased to about 55 degrees C or close to ....... some bits do, most still hang on. There is a very expensive and somewhat difficult product to find called SALT-X that is used by many marine rescue units, Maritime Qld and I think even the Water Police. Beyond brilliant, you can splash it on and all the dried salt disappears in front of your eyes. Works out at about $2.00 a wash but well worth it. Very difficult product to locate but is sold in Brisbane though the manufacturers are pitiful in their advertising and promotion. Give Cleveland Boating Services a ring and see if they can get some in maybe? It it can be diluted and used through a spray bottle or hose connection.

HarryO
26-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Yep, gotta agree with that..

Use salt-x around the windscreen frames,etc,
and also spray down my reels after use..

I always stock up with it (4 bottles $20) at the
tinny/tackle show each year...

Wizards piss, it is...

JEWIENEWIE
26-01-2006, 08:14 PM
salt x hey, does it stuff up your line or is it friendly to line, washes etc
jewie

HarryO
26-01-2006, 09:12 PM
NO, very line/washer friendly.

I only use mono.tho, but I don't think braid would react to it.

A mate of mine buys/sell old reels, if he gets one thats seized,
he soaks it in salt-x for a few days, and most of them become
operational from that alone...
He still strips and services, tho...

Doesn't appear to harm perspex windscreens, either...

Harry

TheSaint
27-01-2006, 06:11 AM
Has anyone added www.durahub.com to their trailer??

Tony_N
27-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Has anyone added www.durahub.com to their trailer??

No - but I have seen it at Super Cheap Auto and wondered about it. The blurb on the web site looks good. #A bit of a mission to fit - but I'll be following this thread with interest since I take delivery of a new trailer in 2 weeks. #Was thinking I would put on Bearing Buddies, but this product seems to have advantages - like being able to see through the window if the bearing oil has been contaminated with water, or when a top-up is required.

Hope some people have had experience with these. Might even be worth a new topic

Tony

Tony_N
27-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Further to the Durahub question, there is some discussion here

http://sportsfish.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29034

especially on pages 2 and 3.