PDA

View Full Version : Which "Water Resistant" mobile do you use

impulse492f
27-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Hi all,

After killing 1 Sony k750i and almost killing another, I was wondering if you could give me some advice. So far the below models seem to be "Splash" resistant.

Nokia 5100, 5210, 5140 (i)
Siemens M65

Do fellow Ausfish recommend any of these or do you use others

I'm looking for a cheap alterative to my current NEW k750i

Tar

retiredandfishing
27-01-2006, 07:12 PM
just keep your phone in a wetpack when your not using it. bout 20-30 dollars. By the way do your parents know your offshore with only a mobile? :D

finga64
27-01-2006, 07:19 PM
I have a couple of old s-itter Nokia that we use just for the boat. Cost $5 from a garage sale. Tested the sending and receiving bit then put the whole thing in a zippy bag. :D
If it gets wet who cares??
Done that since we had an expensive floater :'(

Mum won't let us out and play unless we test the 27meg though :'(

bit sad when your 41 :-/

impulse492f
27-01-2006, 07:22 PM
just keep your phone in a wetpack when your not using it. bout 20-30 dollars. By the way do your parents know your offshore with only a mobile? :D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I crawl out whend my mummys sweeping.

Yeah done that but forgot to place it back in :-/ (dick head i know), thanks

fishingnottake
27-01-2006, 08:53 PM
the 5140i is a damn tough phone even beaned a brown snake with it last month and can get splashed, put in a damp pocket etc and keep on ticking.

Huggy_B
27-01-2006, 11:10 PM
I can tell you an i-mate SP3i doesnt fair well in a dampish pocket. Mines still cactus since wednesday morning..... >:(

NeilD
28-01-2006, 07:56 AM
I have a Nokia 5100 and it is still working after 2 years of life around a public swimming pool, fishing and boating. I am so hard on my phones I am on my third exterior housing for it now. Not too many phones would survive that

Neil

retiredandfishing
28-01-2006, 08:00 AM
yep agreed nokia's are the toughest by a mile. i got an old 5110 for the boat, it just never dies.

impulse492f
28-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks guys much appreciated, I picked up a Siemens M65 from ebay cheap (i think).

According to the specs, its to IP54

Meaning of IP54

Dust-protected (Ingress of dust is not totally prevented, but dust shall not penetrate in a quantity to interfere with satisfactory operation of the apparatus or to impair safety.)

Protected against splashing water. (Water splashed against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects).

juicyfruit
28-01-2006, 09:13 AM
We were out catching Mosquito fish at the gorge for our Oscar. On leaving, the bucket of fish was placed on the front floor and the mobile on the dash. With me accelerating off (not slowly, coz I was after all on dirt and the hoon come out in me) the mobile slid off the dash and into the bucket filled with water and fish.

When we hit the bitumen road, Thumps thought it best if he hung the mobile out of the window to make sure that any moisture had truly dry off. He hit the side window shield and dropped the mobile on the road whilst travelling at 110km/hr.

Two years later, my Motorola 610 is still working as well as the day I brought it.

Juicy

Blackened
28-01-2006, 09:36 AM
G'day
Being a tradie myself, i have an M65. Absoluly brilliant little phone and imho for strengh it beats the nokia hands down. At the end of the day it's an electronic device and for about $40 you should just throw it in an aquapac. There's an international website fr mobile phones, i think it's gsmarena.com If you want a really bulletproof phone, and i had 2 of them.... go and track down an ericsson r310. Their the "sharkfin" phone.
Dave