PDA

View Full Version : do you post accurate spots???

bazzaman
21-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Was wandering how many false spots are put up from exactly where the fish were caught. Do most people post reports and post a report with false spots......eg caught peel island but really post brissy river! Look forward to everyones feedback to see whos false and whos not. Also post why you post false reports!

Cheers

Shane

mackmauler
21-01-2006, 03:47 PM
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Owen
21-01-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm happy to give detailed co-ordinates of where I got my last snapper!
Just have to google earth down to the fish & chip shop on phillips street ;D

I often wonder this myself in relation to Barwon Banks.
Sounds like Queen Street down there :o
Either it's a very large area, or there are bucket loads of fish there (maybe that should be WERE ?? )

cheers
Owen

white_boy
21-01-2006, 03:50 PM
i dunno bout u bazzaman or ne1 else for that matter but i dont see the point in telling false spots, i mean yeah some1 might go to a particular fishhing spot a hundred times and get a good bagfull every time and not tell ne1 where they went truthfully but then i bet there not the only people who go there!!! there would be hundreds of other people who go there already just at different times!!! I am more curious to see some reasons why people lie about there spots?????? :-/

darryl_l
21-01-2006, 03:55 PM
As a pelagic chaser and not a bottom bouncer I am happy to tell people exactly where I have caught the fish or where I intend to go to try to catch my next ones.

Darryl L

revs57
21-01-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm with you Darryl, what's the point in writing a good story, taking photo's then posting lies on location...doesn't help anyone and in the final analysis the only person being fooled is self...and those that do are soon discovered

Rhys

scuttlebutt
21-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Do you ever post up false spots Shane?

cheers,

steve

BenDover
21-01-2006, 04:07 PM
noproblems there for me! i havnt caught sqot yet! ;D but when i do i promise to put the exact spot up. hell you can even follow me out, come and have a beer and a fish with me...

BD

toymod
21-01-2006, 04:08 PM
If you are going to lie about the spots do you realy think they will tell the truth here?? ;)

bazzaman
21-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Always Steve, otherwise youll be fishn where i would want to be!! ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ;)

mickstar001
21-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Nah no lying here all the truth ;)

baldyhead
21-01-2006, 04:46 PM
There are some SLY buggers out there...

redspeckle
21-01-2006, 04:57 PM
When I post reports I give the location of the area been fishing but not the GPS waypoint where I caught the fish still have to keep those's Serect Special Spots more so in Moreton bay ;) than offshore grounds
Mitch ;D

gawby
21-01-2006, 07:09 PM
When i get out and catch something wich isnt very often at the moment i always post the area where i caught the fish. Maybe the 36s of southport, not hard to find, but dont post the gps marks. :-XI do exchange some marks with others. Why lie about where you are the ocean is a big place and there are plenty of fish out there, i think :)
Graeme

Lucky_Phill
21-01-2006, 07:20 PM
You can lead a horse to water, but ya can't make it drink !

If youse thinks dats cryptic, try...................

" The Truth Is Out There ! " lol Rob :)

And seriously.................................there maybe one, ;) , but how many fisherman do you know that hasn't stretched the truth, even a tad. Telling small porkies about ya fishing habits is a ' way of life " not a crime !

Cheers Phill ::)

-spiro-
21-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Is this a hint for certain people...........LOL ;D
There is no problem for me giving out the area that i fish eg north Banks. As the area is that large and your chances of finding that exact spot would be slim.
If you cannot tell the truth where you were don't post and put your pic's and dribble in the test area.
Might be funny for yourself in giving honest fiho's poor information, but it shows what sort of worth you are to the site :-/

Huggy_B
21-01-2006, 07:38 PM
I generally give an area, but nothing to exact. I personally dont have my own boat (yet), but having been on boat where they have spent countless hours hunting these spots down, trolling about looking for good spots etc etc - Im not exactly gonna blurt out to the world about it in great detail.

bazzaman
21-01-2006, 07:41 PM
disagree chris!!! 8-) 8-)

No shots at anyone here just a post for a feel for who posts truthfully and who doesnt. I live in Cairns so im not fussed if brissy blokes stretch the truth and can understand their reasoning behind it! You get blokes that work their asses off for a bag out spot and someone comes and raids it. I wouldnt like it either especially the circumstances and degree of exposure the banks are gettn down your way! Gettn flogged to death and wont be many fish over 3kg soon. I would be stretchn too mate!

Cheers

Shane

BenDover
21-01-2006, 08:03 PM
ppl want to take as many as they can everytime just so noone else can get any from their spot! i see ppl with bagouts all the time and thats really good fishing from excelent fisherman, but do you really need to take that many. some of the fish are huge and 1 would feed a whole family...

id be happy to catch a few (or even 1 ;)) but only ever need 1 just for myself.

BD

westie
21-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Spiro spot on, it is a big bit of water out the front here, even if I said I got 20 muddies up Mooloolaha River last night what do you want the spot x as well.

You say the Banks gets a flogging, now how many from ausfish go there on a regular basis and catch fish.

The area is about 12-15nm long and about 1nm wide and that is not counting the area surounding it WHY in Gods name can't you say i was at the Banks in 30m, and that will cover from the top to the bottom.

If I fish somewhere I will put the Reef I fish at, not one 10nm away.
I will give anyone marks and I have, but there is nothing to say the fish will be there on that day.

Steve

bazzaman
21-01-2006, 08:12 PM
You obviously like your fish stocks to be depleted, come talk to me after two or three years and well see whos changing their mind about givn gps marks away cause they cant catch fish at their old good spot. Im sorry to say it wont be me!

GOOD FEEDBACK BACK ANYWAY!

Cheers

Shane

Angla
21-01-2006, 08:36 PM
I never have lied about a spot but would only give a reef name or area name. Some days I don't even know if I'm at 9 or 11 mile caloundra or just somewhere in between and the maps really dont help to pin point a wide reef area like that.

I just gave a mate of mine a list of over 170 spots that I take a pick from and I bet he is not rolling in fish.

Angla

straddie
21-01-2006, 09:30 PM
When I joined the site I decided I would not do any reports on my fishing in the bay and have kept to that rather than try and avoid specific questions I would really prefer not to answer.

I only do surf reports and give exact details where if you get there within a few days fishing can be similar but usually has changed within about 7 days. Outside of that I only post the odd landbased or boat run with my boys.

SeaSaw
21-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Jays mamma told me to always tell the truth. #::) ;D ;D

Sounds like this Banks spot is the place to be, anyone got some GPS marks for it ..... I might give it a try. #lol

Mark

MAL
21-01-2006, 10:40 PM
M8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 8888888888888888888888888'the truth is out there. ;) M8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 888888888888. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.
Cheers.

MAL.

matthill80
21-01-2006, 10:47 PM
tell em what u want it is ur spot so its ur choice whether or not u tell people

should be another section other than reports clled the brag section then it could all go in there ;D ;D

roz
21-01-2006, 10:50 PM
How can you tell if a fisho is lying??????

He's moving his mouth!!!!

Seriously, would rather give a general location than the exact spot.

Roz

Fishinmishin
22-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Give the fish a chance :-/. I'm happy to help people who PM me or members I know but to just post the excact for everyone only encourages traffic on a good area. As it was said....a lot of the boats that do come to fish the spot will just take up space and put the fish off the bite. Just try putting where a school of fish is working a bait school on the radio and watch all the boats come drive back and forth right over the bait only to put the fish down >:(. Does nobody any good.
After posting a few pics of all them large cobes pulled off the same spot every time I had people trying to get the mark. I called it Western rocks as that area already cops a flogging but being that it was a specific beacon, if I posted where, it woulda got flogged ;). At least now I have the option of giving it a rest and hopefully it ain't getting fished too hard. Almost all of my reports state the area like north bay or off moreton but when people warn you they are going to tail you out on your next trip for the mark, I might tell a fib :-X.
Also, I don't catch much worth posting anyhow :P ;D.
Cheers, Jay

Hookem_Herby
22-01-2006, 08:02 AM
I don't expect anyone to post where they caught their fish HOWEVER IF they chose to mention a specific location or area, I'd expect that to be the truth. It's f*cking me right off atm all the posts about Murphys rather than the Barwon Banks. Those of us who have been members here for a while know it's a load of bs and we take it with a grain of salt (I dare say most have stopped laughing by now) however ausfish is getting new members DAILY, many of whom have no idea about 'in' jokes and probably believe that member when he says that he caught a coral trout or a big snapper at Murphys reef.
I know what you're saying Phill and agree ... stretching and fishing goes hand in hand!! ;D
BUT no need to tell outright lies and spin bs to deceive honest fishos. Just gives the website a bad name imho. If you don't want to share where you caught the fish then fine .... I think most fishos would respect that but DON'T give other people a bum steer just because you can.
My 2 cents worth,
Herby

outsiderskip
22-01-2006, 09:03 AM
i am with u shane
if u cant tell the truth then u should shut your mouth
when u r caught out u can never be trusted
and then mates loose respect for u
SOME PEOPLE JUST CANT HELP THEMSELVES BY LYING

PETE

DICER
22-01-2006, 09:10 AM
spotties have nine spots .... ;)

:o

Brejen
22-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Spot on Herby. I have always posted where, what and when. I look at the reports and make a decission from there. So in turn i post my report even if it's nothing at all to report - often, but if someone else is looking to spend plenty $$$$$$$$ heading out the next day to the area that i was and see my report well then they can make their own decissions, same as i had to. so even if my report doesn't have all the big fish pics and stories at least someone might get something outta them.

As been said b4 the ocean is a big place and spotx's are hard to come by, but hey general reef area's not a spot x is it.... Look at Palmy fair reef easy to find and fish but the locals still have their spot x's right under everyone's noses.

IMHO it's cost to damm much to go out there to try catch some fish on someone's #Bull Sh*t report. And spot x's dont always fire at that, lot of other factors to consider as well.

Brett

Some of us from here have had a few trips outside we have all fished the same general area and have to say that all the boats came home with fish. EASY to find the fish bloody hard to have the skills to also catch those fish. I enjoy helping out mates . We weren't all born top gunn fisho's with a TLD 50 in our gobbs, and a GPS fulla marks.

webby
22-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Dogs have spots, humans have spots so do fish, just gotta find the spots :-?

bidkev
22-01-2006, 01:14 PM
If anyone wants a few vermin, just PM me. I don't mind giving away my x spots ;D

kev

When a person wants to believe something, it doesn't take much to convince them.

Fishinmishin
22-01-2006, 10:14 PM
IIt's f*cking me right off atm all the posts about Murphys rather than the Barwon Banks. Those of us who have been members here for a while know it's a load of bs and we take it with a grain of salt (I dare say most have stopped laughing by now)
Settle down mate ::). IMHO you do have a valid point but the way I see it is fishing is a learning curve. Nothing is set in stone. I only started fishing a couple years back with no freinds or family that ever fished. There is soooo much info out there that the thing that differs average fishos from good ones is their ability to take in all the info and decifer what is valid and what is not. Ask a fisho or even a tackle shop which lure to buy when chasing a specific fish and see all the different answers you get. Some will tell you what they beleive, some will tell you what stock they want to move and some will tell you BS cause they feel whatever lure you use you have limited chance of catching anything anyhow (trust me...I got heaps of old useless lures ;D). Right or wrong the point is that most mammas teach there kids to make their own decisions and to not trust strangers.
You preaching your anger on here does much more damage to this site then a member not posting the correct spot they caught the fish. Have you ever PMed the members you are relating your post about to see what they would reply? Mabey if you fished with them one time and watched them have to constantly look over their shoulder when leaving port to see which member is tailing them or you noticed they no longer feel safe to post in the 'Going Fishing' section or post a full pic of their boat you would understand better.
The way I see it is certain members have taken me (and many other members) out on their boat and taken the time to teach me more in a day then all the magazine have, have put me onto quality fish, and have posted up a huge amount of posts about what they have caught. Now considering if the spot was BS or not....you read all these posts and gather up all the small bits of info they have posted and then look at the amount of info members could have gathered from your posts and think once again who need to shut their mouth.
Next time you see a post that you don't think is stated in the right area...then post your opinion or why don't you start a post about...."Your favorite fishing spot" and see how many members that actually land good fish post in there. Think about it..... you pull up to the jetty and you have had a good session pulling quality fish off a specific reef. All the boats at the ramp (not even close to as many members as on here) ask you where you caught them. Now do you send them to the spot you worked hard to find so it can get raped, do you tell them outright you are not going to tell them where you caught them and leave it at that or do you tell them you pulled them off an area around where you actually caught them that still produces fish...but not your area.

This is probably my longest post ever but wingers get on my nerves more then bullsh*tters.
Just my humble opinion :).
Cheers, Jay

Girls have two boobies...we have two eyes
(Not as good as Kev's quotes, but the best I can do ::) ;D :-X)

fishface
22-01-2006, 10:40 PM
ok bazza are you on a guilt trip? ;D
you must of been thinking about this ..to post a question up like that.
this is the place to get it off your chest haha
daniel( ex hooklinensinker)

fishingnottake
23-01-2006, 08:28 AM
i'll give out spots that are producing though in my case it's more refidex coordinates than gps 8-), thats being said, even if i say talle bridge, or shultz park that doesnt always put people straight onto the fish, ive seen plenty of people sit somewhere all night and not get a bite while another bloke 10 meters away is pulling them in hand over fist,... it;s even happened to me, it all comes down to the fisherman, picking the tide, your method bait/lure etc, that being said obviously i'm not investing the money/time etc that people in boats are. but i have to put in a hell of a lot of leg work, without the benfit of sounders etc, and you think it;s bad people following you to your spot try having someone walk past look in your bucket, or sit there watching you c&r then for them to show up half and hour later with their mates and park all of 5 meters down down from you. or have some joker wth a cast net walking the bridge scaring the bejessus out of the bait/bigger fish.
ash

fishingnottake
23-01-2006, 08:36 AM
i'm sure that post had a point when i started it, felt myself going into a rant so had to cut it short :|

MulletMan
23-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Just because the rest of the group are too lousy to give away some good spots Dicer, I will make you feel welcome!
Try the folowing co-rdinates!

S004.039.000
E015.122.000

Happy fishing!

Glen.m
23-01-2006, 04:32 PM
My opinion

We are all in the sport of fishing for the same reasons (ENJOYMENT)and few are borne guru's, most of us learning as we progress and gradually acquiring marks through personal research on the water, fishing partners and trusted friends. I believe that the wholesale broadcast of exact coordinates is a dangerous game and detrimental to productive fisheries and just causes excessive boat traffic. From what I have learned, coordinates need to be accompanied with the specific knowledge of how to fish a location anyway. I believe that if we are going to tell people where or how we caught fish, we should be both honest and general. If people are good fisho's they will catch fish anyway and will simply use your info to help them decide on a fishing destination etc... If they are new to the game then mabye you will have done them a favour and put them in the general area. As good a fisho as you think you are, there is plenty better out there, and mabye that beginner you helped out with your honest Post will repay the favour some day.

Regards

Glen

DALEPRICE
23-01-2006, 04:39 PM
nicely said jay,
dont forget that some people
who post quality reports are on the
water at least once a week. with the time, effort
and money that goes into it i dont blame them for
being protective of their spots.
just my 2 cents worth.
regards dale

Sportfish_5
23-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Asking for specific GPS spots by PMs or in posts is pretty poor form as far as I am concerned. No problem with a general location and its good to have a bit of fun with the locations so lighten up chaps.

If you are that concerned with how much fishing costs because you are basing a trip off a report here then you need to rethink your chosen recreation :-X It's fishing not catching - fishless trips are all part of the learning curve.

Anyway enough jibber - I'm off to troll Shultz Canal for some Barries and hoo next weekend ;)

Cheers

Greg

Rainbowrunner
23-01-2006, 05:19 PM
I got into a fair bit of trouble on a Sydney site with implied death threats, abusive phonecalls, emails etc #and got members fighting over showing locations. Some because they could see their pontoon in the background, or it was "THEIR" spot or I was exploiting their fish to extinction. I believed most of these people were jealous, and then I put up a post jokingly about doing tours of the area #::) ;D
We found some good spots to catch estuary perch(by ourselves) and we would have boats follow us on quite a few occasions. Funny watching people in fast boats following a canoe around, and how you can pull fish out right next to people not catching anything.

What does annoy me is when they put up a post and then draw over the background....it just looks ridiculous................
I even know of people on that site who would keep the fish in the live well (even big jewies) and go and take a pic near a decent landmark further away..
I for one do post reports sincerely although no GPS marks(I dont have one anyway). How hard is it to get an exact mark off a photo anyway. Get real......

What can you REALLY believe nowadays ?

My old man used to say "dont believe half of what you hear and ignore the rest"

shaman
23-01-2006, 05:51 PM
I for one am abject to people lying to me in any way, shape or form.
If anybody doesn't want to give out their spots good on 'em but they shouldn't give out misleading info. There is no justification for doing this.
If you want to keep a location secret just say so or are u gutless? Being vague on spot x is ok as long as u give somewhere close but to send someone on a goosechase is a DOG-ACT!! To all who do or have done so SHAME, SHAME, SHAME. Oh and grow some balls.

bazzaman
23-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Daniel i dont post specific spots on here because its a reasonalbly small area and close reefs here in Cairns and ive worked hard so far and spent 150hrs exactly motoring around in 6 mnths to find the spots i have. Am i really going to give a spot to anyone after spending lots of money, then someone who hasnt done any homework whatso ever to take my spot away from me and hasnt done any homework whatsoever! Your dreaming on that one sorry!

Cheers Shane

P.S some very good opinions comn out of this!

fishface
23-01-2006, 07:21 PM
;D iam only joking. i dont want your spot X or anyone elses. me personally would give someone my spots if they want. doesnt mean they are going to catch fish off it. I am not interested in bagging out when i go out there, iam in it for the fishing. iam happy to take one fish home for me and the family.
good luck daniel

Billo
23-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Gotta agree with Jay also .
MANY of these people who "bum steer" you on the post will actually give you good info if you contact them direct.
They do hard yards to find the fish , like hell if they are going to put 100 boats on the spot in the next day . I know i won't ....BUT i can honestly say i have put people onto their first Marlin / Tuna / Wahoo etc through one on one discussion ...and thats the only way i will play it

Many of these SAME individuals gave me the required learning curve to find fish for myself ..and not just me , many others too ...i could rattle off lists , but no need , they KNOW who they are .

Some people go on about ' its just a spot ' ...yeh well , just that spot might not fire with 100 boats hammering round above .

BEFORE ANYONE gives someone stick about a post that maybe labelled with a wrong local .....why not try giving them a PM instead of being arrogant and calling them an a$$hole...you might find they are top blokes and don't want their knowledge to be taken advantage of ;)

robersl
23-01-2006, 07:38 PM
always try to give a true report sometimes i might put in close to where i was if there was no way to describe exact spot

shaman
23-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Probably duzzn't matter anyway cos we're apparently all gonna be dead from the Bird Flu anyway. ;D

Anybody got any landbased spot x's around Paradise Point so I can feed my family when it hits???

and don't lie cos the flu will get ya!!! ;D ;D

onerabbit
23-01-2006, 08:11 PM
I haven't lied here yet !!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm happy to share starter marks with anyone, i have done a few times, with a bit of advice, but dont ask me to give up hard earned marks found by hours & days of exploring , cos i'll tell you straight up , NUH, Muzz.

onerabbit
23-01-2006, 08:12 PM
# # I haven't lied here yet !!!!!!!!!!!!! # I'm happy to share starter marks with anyone, i have done a few times, with a bit of advice, but dont ask me to give up hard earned marks found by hours & days of exploring , cos i'll tell you straight up , NUH, Muzz.

Darryl
23-01-2006, 08:32 PM
I personally think if you dont want people knowing your spot x's , why post at all?

Personally again, i dont want anyone's spotx's and enjoy the part of exploring for new spots.

I am more for finding out what depth, tide, bait etc information rather than an exact mark.

I personally hate the threads that are ,"i caught a 50 kilo cobia in the nerang river using a live grass hopper as bait."

That's just off tap.

bazzaman
23-01-2006, 08:43 PM
yeh no probs daniel im in the same boat mate. Who cares if you dont catch fish, but if i have a spot that produces i would like to always go and get a feed from it!

Cheers

Shane

snappa
23-01-2006, 09:00 PM
everyone knows my "spot x".... :-X

if u donn't ,then u have not been listening .. :P

bazzaman
23-01-2006, 09:04 PM
who wants it tho SNAPPA?? ;) ::) ::) :-? :-? :-?

Shane

skippa
23-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Geez Darryl,

Grasshopper's do make great live bait in the nerang for Cobes ..... # ;) ;D ;D

You'll give away all our good tricks .....

Here's one for ya Kev....

I know a nurse who hates fishing .... but she doesn't mind going down on the Docks #:o #;D ;D

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

shaman
23-01-2006, 10:27 PM
BEFORE ANYONE gives someone stick about a post that maybe labelled with a wrong local .....why not try giving them a PM instead of being arrogant and calling them an a$$hole...you might find they are top blokes and don't want their knowledge to be taken advantage of #;)[/quote]

This is probably true but maybe I'm naive. I just can't get my head around the fact that if you are going to purposely misinform someone over this medium, or any other, to protect your spot, why would you say anything at all about where you caught your fish. Post your success by all means but nothing is forcing you to give out the location. I sold cars for over 20 years and I know that I couldn't mislead anyone in this manner and not feel guilty. 'Nuff said

Hookem_Herby
23-01-2006, 10:34 PM
This is probably true but maybe I'm naive. I just can't get my head around the fact that if you are going to purposely misinform someone over this medium, or any other, to protect your spot, why would you say anything at all about where you caught your fish. Post your success by all means but nothing is forcing you to give out the location. I sold cars for over 20 years and I know that I couldn't mislead anyone in this manner and not feel guilty. 'Nuff said

AMEN! Finally someone who understands. #[smiley=guitarist.gif]
Well put Shaman. #[smiley=dankk2.gif] You have my support. #[smiley=laola.gif]

fishface
24-01-2006, 12:04 AM
well shaman you must be the first car salesman to feel like that ;D

bazzaman
24-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Daniel you took the words righ out of my mouth!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

roz
24-01-2006, 06:59 PM
What would be the point in giving out BS?

Better to say nothing about where you catch the fish. By all means give a comprehensive report.

But that report doesn't have to give an exact location does it?

I wouldn't post my most productive bass spots, but I have given out a couple of locations via PM's to people who C & R.

On the other hand I am quite happy to tell everyone where I catch my mackeral as they are a pelagic fish.....there one day and gone the next.

The secret is usually not where but how. ;)

Cheers Roz

bazzaman
24-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Just a few questions herby that id like answered from Jay! Can you answer them now and cut your losses by avoiding them.

If you posted reports in the first place with quality fish maybe you would understand where most of the other fishos are comn from. You may understand their point of veiw instead of being all talk and no action like yourself and Shaman.

Cheers

Shane

roz
24-01-2006, 07:08 PM
I agree with your opinion Sharman, except the car salesman bit.....ummmmm not so sure there.!lol

bazzaman
24-01-2006, 07:08 PM
You can have ALL my best bass spots. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

roz
24-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Go ahead and post them Shane :P

serene_lady
24-01-2006, 08:58 PM
;D Some years back we were fishing for winter whiting in hervey bay, there were several groups of about 20 -30 boats half a mile apart, there were fish being caught but not realy on the bite but no one was prepared to shift in case they came on the bite where they where. So I got on the 2 way and used my brother in laws call sign and called my self to say get over here quick that there realy on the bite where he was about 1 k away. You should have seen the reaction, motors starting, anchors up, and off they went. It looked like a swarm of bees around Jim for quite awhile and that was only winter whiting not reds or snapper or trout .Just a bit of fun. Bob.

kleiny
25-01-2006, 04:05 PM
it's about the photos not the location really. i normally give a general location sometimes it's more general than others. i say just relax beleive what you want to 9 times out of 10 you'll know it's bs or not.
kleiny

shaman
25-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Just a few questions herby that id like answered from Jay! #Can you answer them now and cut your losses by avoiding them. #

If you posted reports in the first place with quality fish maybe you would understand where most of the other fishos are comn from. You may understand their point of veiw instead of being all talk and no action like yourself and Shaman.

Cheers

Shane

I wasn't going to respond any further to this thread as I felt my opinion
fairly well voiced but I feel that maybe I "am" missing something.
I don't understand ,as I am new to this site, what the problem is with not posting where you catch your fish if you don't want to. I mean, are you constantly badgered by other fisho's to the extent of being followed every time you go out? If this is so then I may be off line. If this is the point why post at all? In fact why put yourself thru all this by being an active member. All you are achieving by admitting this misleading practise exists is scaring other members off posting reports themselves.
I for one will be posting any extraordinary catches I have, that is one of the reasons I joined this site, that and reading of other peoples successes and misses. Apparently not everyone posts their reports and not everyone feels comfortable lying to and misleading other members maybe that's one of the reasons why they don't post, I dunno. I'm hoping I don't find out but it won't stop me posting anyhow. All I know is I for one will not bullsh!t others whether i see fit to report a location or not. Shaman

fishingnottake
25-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Just a few questions herby that id like answered from Jay! #Can you answer them now and cut your losses by avoiding them. #

Cheers

Shane
christ mate, if jay's fish aren;t quality then what is?
<edit> misread the post can see what you're getting at now.
ash

juicyfruit
25-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Gullible blonde me believes everything on peoples catch and location. I personally give general locations (not that I’ve given that many reports). If I had a GPS, don’t think I would give out the waypoint, however, if a tourist fisherman was spending lots of money, time and effort in my local area to target a certain type of fish that I knew about, I would without hesitation give him every detail I may have to help, then hope the favour is returned to me one day.

I seem to be quite fortunate in my local location, Mackay, of having a lower population and a little more fish then you guys in the Brisbane area, with time I guess I will be in the same predicament as you guys, and you may see me become more protective of fish and location, (but not to the point of being untruthful......NOT SAYING ANY OF YOU ARE NOW)

Juicy

juicyfruit
25-01-2006, 08:35 PM
And for what its worth...

Thumps and I wrote a joint account of our Awoonga fishing trip......

We retold it the way we saw it through our own eyes. We were very truthful, however, I miss reporting on a fish on one day, as did he on another day etc etc....blah blah blah......

......what I’m trying to say is, that people write their reports after the event, so they are recalling from memories…..things can be forgotten, amounts and locations can become blurred……it doesn’t mean they are being deceitful or protective of information.

Juicy

Cheech
25-01-2006, 09:37 PM
This is a bit like the eating team or the releasing team. From what I have read on the previous posts in this thread, you are either on the tell the truth team or the BS team. I don't think any amount of discussion is going to convince the BS team that there is anything wrong with misleading people. Same as you will not concince the tell the truth team that it is ok to BS and mislead about what you catch and where.

For the record, I am on the tell the truth team. If I say I caught a fish at a location, then that is where I caught it. I thought it was these general locations that was the topic of this thread. Some of the posts have gone a bit off track about gps marks. The original question did not talk about exact coordinates, just locations.

Cheech

-spiro-
26-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Maybe you should of ran a pole on here?

That would of been no good as the B'S team would think that they where telling the truth anyway.

As i've said before "why post if it's bs"

why misslead people

outsiderskip
26-01-2006, 02:17 PM
most people tell u what they caught
and the general area
where the fish were caught
there are only a few bullshitters here
most are honest

pete

Fishinmishin
26-01-2006, 05:27 PM
This post keeps going on and on and now seems to just be turning into an excuse for name calling by members which have already posted their opinion in their 1st post :P. If I wanna post a report and put up a false location then I will without caring less what anyone thinks of me :-?. The point is I can only recall one incident I had and that was with my Cobia catches. If you read my 1st cobia report you will see I said it was caught off a beacon but that's when it started LINK (http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1125659044/0). I must have got 20 PM asking me which one. I gave it out to the first 3 and didn't reply to the rest. Some members kept sending me PMs and then started to say they know which ramp I leave from and they will tail me. Now whether this was a joke or not, I didn't like it. Almost every trip I would allow each crew to take one big mamma and leave the rest so as not to kill the spot and I never saw another boat fishing the area on any of the trips. This could not happen if the spot was common knowledge and the cobes would have copped a raping. Billo summed it up on our trip out there "We left them biting at the transom saying 'Take me....take me".
I called the catches from Western rocks in all future reports so as to stop the PMs and harrasement and because Western rocks can also produce large cobes. I am no Cobia King....I just took the time and petrol to come across a spot they call home. If I felt I could have not posted where without the threat of people trying there best to get the spot then I would have.

Almost all of my reports state the area like north bay or off moreton but when people warn you they are going to tail you out on your next trip for the mark, I might tell a fib :-X.
When fishing reefs or areas I have always posted an acurate location but with uncommon beacons, it's like posting a GPS mark onto the hotspot of a rarely fished reef you found. This post should have been a poll and I'm glad when talking with Herbie we at least agree on that fair opinions have been stated by everyone but this post is now going nowhere ::). I hope this help you understand the reasoning a bit better. If not.....tell my mamma your problems......because I don't care ;).
Cheers, Jay

gawby
27-01-2006, 08:32 AM
What a load of Sh=t that everyone is going on with. Brett and i have put in a lot of hours to go and find good spots to catch fish on. A lot of the time we caught nothing, marked ground and gone back over it the next time and tried it out. It has cost a a fortune in dollars to do this and i am not prepaird to give away what we have had to work for. For those of you that are whinging about this spot and that report go and do what we have done and get off your high horse. I gave a couple of spots away to an ausfisher not so long ago that i didnt know but tried to help him with marks off fraser island. Unfortunatly the weather was rough and he couldnt use them. Bad luck.
Get over you spitts and spatts and go and find your own ground and then see if you want every man and his dog fishing and anchored beside you. I amnot prepaired to give out a hot spot and have it fished out by those who prey on getting spots for nothing.
Think what you think and say what you say i dont care.
Graeme

Darryl
27-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Jay, for a small fee i will follow the followers ;D
Seriously though if someone pm'd me and said they would follow me to my spots , that's a threat!!!! And i would do the same as Jay.

caloundra
28-01-2006, 11:23 AM
If you don't want to give away to much detail of the exact reef thats fine just put a a rough area like "off mooloolaba" or "northern end of the bay" don't b/s people with fake locations.
if you don't want to give away your top spots I'm sure people who read your reports will respect that.

daniel

DICER
28-01-2006, 12:20 PM
i just look on the newest groundsat geopics, that are updated most days, and spot what you got where :o the detail is now down to 5 cm... fun

noodlemantra
28-01-2006, 04:33 PM
has anyone thought about the pro's in this thread? think about how difficult the charter guys get it though. they must play their cards close to their sleeve and must be under pressure to keep finding new spots.

what stops me or anyone else from paying a pro some decent money and remembering the spots he takes me and most importantly catches me fish at. i've done it. in cooktown went with a guy and dare i say it if i go again, it will be rent a tinnie and straight to the spots he took me. but i dont see me going back there in a hurry, its a grand little town, but nothing much going on there. but then again i could do something more close to home and simply cash in on a guy's hard work. i havent done that yet, cause I want to prove that i can do it by myself.

im going out to the reef on the weekend (i go out once every 1-2 years) however my brother goes out quite a bit and im pretty confident he'll be jotting some gps points down on the sly. sneaky bugger he is

o and by the way. my accounts of where i fish are 100% accurate, the truth is all the fishing i've done i dont have any secret little spots that get me fish every time. i am a firm believer of controlling everything in your own power, tackle, bait, fishing a good tide, fishing a good time of day than relying on one spot to produce fish for me. i still get results and im doing something that brings a smile to my face