PDA

View Full Version : Australian volunteer coast guard

howzat
19-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Hi all,

Last week we went out in the boat and launched at pinkinba. Cruised up to the pylons at the gateway and had a fish. Anyway the battery went flat in the boat and we had to call the coast guard. they said it would take a couple of hours to get to us as they were doing another job. They arrived and gave us a tow back to pinkinba, aprox 10 mins. When we arrived back they said it was a donation. We gave them $50 but he said that they run on $150 per hour, he also said that we would probably recieve a letter in the post asking for more money. Yesterday the letter arrived saying we owed them $235.00. Does anyone know wether this has to be paid seeings how this is a voluntary org. We gave a donation but this is ridiculous when we were only towed for about 10 mins.
Help with this would be greatly appreciated.

:o

Volvo
19-01-2006, 12:02 PM
:)Mate i'm a member of my local VMR(Volunteer marine rescue) and quite happy to be so ;)..
If your going to be playing about on the water its cheap insurance especially if you share the experience with your children as well..
Now back to costs??, whether coastgaurd or VMR they both rely on membership$$, donations and in some cases a little gov assistance.
This is to maintain base station , boats , radios etc , etc etc,..Once upon a time ago this wasnt all that a problemo in some places of high membership but nowadays with the advent of green zones etc and people heading off beyond the horizon to get away from congested areas the cost of rescue to a base is ever on the increase so a levy or cost is also aplicable in some cases to rescues.
If a member and hence supporting your local branch the cost can be somewhat less than non members who may only donate when or after having been rescued (used the service).
Not sure how most branches cost a rescue but do know theres a fuel and oil figure used plus maybe a callout ..
One for member and another for non members..
Size of boat and fuel consumption plays a role...
Eg; $100 fuel bill oil included plus say ??$50 callout for member could work out double or thereabouts for non members..
Now dont go taking those figures as gospel as i'm just giving you an example of how the costing may be..
And priority of rescue is always by who is in need the most for given time and how many rescues may be on the go..
Someone else may shed a bit more light here than me but best i could do for short time frame ;D..
Cheers n hope ive elped ya out a wee bit..

bay_firey
19-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Howzat

Do not forget that although you were towed for "10 mins" AVCGA still had to get to you nad back to the base, traveling costs money, if they didn't have to come and help you they would not have incurred the expense.

I think you will find that the letter is a "request for donation" more so than an invoice.

What price would you put on being stranded ???

bay_firey
19-01-2006, 12:31 PM
This reply deleted by me before the moderators did it

Volvo
19-01-2006, 12:42 PM
:-?Why??

Heath
19-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Yep, it is a donation.
But if they didn't come and get you how would you have got back to the ramp?
Call a tow truck & see how much it costs get your car towed a few KM.

Pay up, cause what would you do without them?

bay_firey
19-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Volvo

Because in a moment of weeakness I said somethings that should not have been said.

Louis
19-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Coastguard and VMR are essential services.

I find it difficult to understand why the Government can waste taxpayers money on just about everything they can think of yet not give back to the boating and fishing community that pay so much in taxes.

I think it is time the government adequately funded these organisations.

Louis

trueblue
19-01-2006, 02:11 PM
The best bet for all people who own boats is to join up with the local VMR group as an assiciate member - Volunteer Marine Rescue or Australian Volunteer Coast Guard. This has two benefits - first, you are supporting the local rescue group and helping to keep them out on the water. Second, if you are a member you will only be asked for a donation, and the amount of the donation is up to you. If you are an associate member, you won't be invoiced for the costs. Non members do get invoiced.

Think of associate membership with a VMR group as the on water version of RACQ on the roads - and then it is a whole lot easier to cough up the cash for membership. That said, its usually less than $60 per year. Well worth the cost, and any donation you give in the case of a tow just helps keep the rescue boat out on the water because funds are always tight in these volunteer organisations.

For those of you who have more time available and are interested in a regular committment, consider joining up as a full active member of a rescue organisation. (A word of advice though, don't bother if you just want to talk about "rescues" in the pub) If you want to join up, you have to be committed to one weekend a month from 6 in the morning to 6 at night, be prepared to do a heap of training courses and certification, do night time radio coverage, and a heap of fundraising.

Regarding assistance priority, if you are broken down but in a safe location and no one on board is at risk, you will be attended to after all other more urgent priority calls have been completed. Its not a matter of first in first served, it is purely a situation where more urgent matters will be attended to first - preservation of life comes ahead of any plain breakdown so be patient if you get told there is a couple of hours wait for assistance if you just need a tow in due to mechanical issues and you are safe where you are anchored.

Also don't forget to call in on the radio at beginning and end of your boating trips to "log on" with the VMR group. This way if you fail to return by way of mishap and were unable to get a radio call in to attract help, there will be someone coming to look for you and they will know where to start looking.

Safe boating

Mick

Cruiser
19-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Howzat,

I'm afraid you're not going to get a lot of sympathy on this one.

As others have said, not only should you pay for the actual tow and also for their travel to get to you and back to their base, but their boat and facilities cost a lot of money even when not in use. #It has to come from somewhere. #The voluntary part is only the labour - everything else costs real money.

$285 sounds fairly reasonable considering.

There used to be a boat towing service you could call up in these cases. #Not sure if they still operate but I am sure they'd charge at least that amount (and it wouldn't be requested as a donation).

Pay the money and send the bill to whoever allowed the battery to go flat in the first place :-[

bay_firey
19-01-2006, 02:17 PM
I have yet to see a litre of fuel or oil volunteer to be used.

Yes the people who man the Rescue Vessels volunteer their time, but the expenses need to be paid.

If you don't want to have the out of pocket expense then why not think about volunteering some of your time to man the Rescue Vessel or the base station, one weekend every 4 - 5 weeks, you will meet some very nice people and make some new friends and have the satisfacton of knowing you GAVE something back in life instead of just selfishly TAKING

DaneCross
19-01-2006, 03:25 PM
Everyone that reads this should take note and join VMR. We had a flier left on the car at the boat ramp on Saturday - $66/yr is all a Gold Membership costs, this has you covered by 'most VMR's State-Wide'. I know for certain it includes all SE Qld VMR's, with a little further investigation it shouldn't be too hard to find out a full list of participating VMR's.

Angla
19-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Howzat,
I reckon it was a fair catch and you are out

Pay up with what little dignity you have left

Angla [smiley=beer.gif]

2iar
19-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Howzat,

Perhaps you'd prefer that they let you know up front what it would cost, kind of like catching a bus. Then of course, you'd have the option to refuse and walk instead.

Hang on, that's not going to work is it? :D

Stump up, contented in the knowledge that it's going to an extremely worthwhile cause.

Good luck,
Mike

DR
19-01-2006, 04:12 PM
howzat, you could have waited for the runout tide & fished your way back ;)
that would have been cheaper..

gropeher
19-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Pay-up,
you asked for help and recieved,
Gee whiz, the absolute hide of some people just leaves me speechless, I better go before I say something that gats me barred.

Reel Magic. >:(

fish2eat
19-01-2006, 06:52 PM
what would happen if you called the water police instead??

They are the closest in this instance, being based at Boat Passage.........do they refer you on to either VMR or Coast Guard?? or will they come get you if in danger?

trueblue
19-01-2006, 07:04 PM
If you call the Water Police, they will most likely refer the call to VMR or Coast Guard - this is normal practice. If in genuine danger though, and if they could be first at scene, they will respond.

Mick

baldyhead
20-01-2006, 07:02 PM
ever thought of fitting a small auxilary outboard?

westie
20-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Not much more to be said on this as it is quite clear JUST PAY UP >:( >:(

You may find that once you pay up, they may sign you up fro 12 months with it, and then you maybe permitted to be towed in upto 25nm ONCE

As was said. " if you don't like it send the bill to the person who let the Battery go dead in the first place" and that may help you to move on.

If you want to next time try calling your mates to come out and get you.
They will hook the boat up go to the servo wack some fule in drive to the ramp launch the boat come and get you and take you back to the ramp.

Shouldn't take that long to wait unless they are at work.

Just ware it and tomorrow, you can say well I learnt from the experiance.

If you are looking for support I will send you 40c and you could ring Lifeline they may listen to your gripe.

Reel Magic I think I should have done what you did, BUT I had to say something.

Dug
20-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Next time the weather turns bad and the sh!t starts to fly think if you need them they they will be there

How would you feel if you sent out a Mayday call and the reply came "Sorry we are out of fuel for this month"

Pay the donation then send them some more for being there when we need them. I quit Coast guard after 7 years for several reasons one of them was having to save ungrateful people.

I think there should be tax relief for all volunteers like Coast Guard, SES, Rural Fire brigades, etc. they save the government millions if not billions every year and get stuff all except the satisfaction of doing the job.

(Then someone bitches about paying a few bucks)

[smiley=angry.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angry.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angry.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angry.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angry.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif]

Navi
21-01-2006, 08:32 AM
I look at it this way every time I have helped some one with atow or some thing else it seems to cost me, but I would not go pass a boatie in trouble,(my be thats just me )

But these Guys and Girls go out every day and do this, they never asked us to take our boat out , we did it on our own , they never forgot to fill the tank's right up, they never said to you sorry can't tow ya till you pay up now, and I'm one that wouldn't blame them if it got to that cause how many people do pay up after the case, I know I have never hear form some one That I have helped even if they did ask for my name and address.

So all in all I think that you should pay up , even if you can't afford to pay it all at once just pay $60.00 a week till you have paid it all, I'm more then sure they will be grate full ,

cause next time you need them they might not be there ,

Cheers Chris #8-)

Jeremy
21-01-2006, 01:38 PM
sorry, I don't agree with the majority of responses posted on here so far. I think a bill for $235 on top of the $50 already paid is surely way more than the actual expenses incurred. That said, I don't know the actual running costs of what was probably a vessel in the 8 m range would be, and we don't know which VMR responded and how far they came from.

Maybe ask them for a breakdown of costs - fuel, oil, anything else??

In addition, joining your local VMR or coastguard is not the answer for many people who may not always launch from the same location. I am an associate member of Caloundra CG, which also covers me if I require assistance from CG Mooloolaba, but that's it. I also fish in Moreton Bay and off the Gold Coast and have no coverage there.

This has been discussed on ausfish several times before and I don't think there is any simple answer.

Jeremy

theoldlegend
21-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Have been reading this thread with interest. I don't own a boat, but what breaks my heart is to see the VMR guys (from Viccy point?) standing outside the Capalaba Central Shopping Centre with their tins.

They don't hassle anybody like other organisations, but simply stand there. I always give generously and wish I could do more. There was a thing in the local rag last week asking for various types of volunteers at the VMR at Viccy Point. I am thinking seriously of maybe giving a bit of time to them. I'm not qualfied to do any front line stuff, but a bit of office work perhaps. Might give them a call. Will have to reschedule what I'm doing now.

But to get back to the original thread, I think you really shouldn't complain. Howzat; why was your battery flat? Lack of maintenance perhaps? I think you are very lucky. What did you expect? A tow by the Queen Mary back to your ramp? Owning a boat isn't cheap.

Firey: I guess you're in the emergency services and I can sense your anger and frustration. Hang in there; it'll work out.

TOL

redspeckle
21-01-2006, 05:57 PM
DC
I thought the cost of a gold mebership was 120 bucks a year covered you from Sunny coast Moreton Gold coast
I just jion VMR Raby bay and it was 60 bucks for a year thats only local area I think
Maybe Subzero can answer the questions here
Mitch
ps i [smiley=angryfire.gif] people that don't pay up how do they expected to have these volunteer organisations still to be around in the future when they needed to be rescued in the future

stevedemon
21-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Hi all
after reading all of the post here i will say that these guy's and girls put there lifes on the line for all us boaties regardless of who we are i have no problems paying my $69 a year Gold membership this cover me from the Gold Coast to the bottom of Bribie island if i go up farther north then you pay the additional cost as it was stated earlier that it is insurance and for the sake of a few dollars I like to come home to see the Wife and Family but knowing that if some thing does happen these People are there to help regardless of weather, time or conditions if it means paying more money than so be it but i also make a donation if an when i have had to call for help on 3 previous occassions one for flat batteries cause some D***head forgot to charge them another time because the steering broke 7 yrs ago the last time 5yrs ago was because i had run around for 3 days in the pin an morten an run out of fuel so i'm the Di**head it is not because they have said where are not busy we need your vessel to break down to make us look good or busy but they are there to help and they do a teriffic job for all so remember this and if you can give some thing back to them in the way of donations it all goes to help us boaties #and helps them keep it alive as well as us

prices for local area is $50.00
for extended areafrom Gold Coast to Bottom of Bribie isalnd is Gold Membership $60.50 pensioners and $69.00 for all others $ 120.00 in which covers for outside up to 25nm

any donations they will gratefully respect an put it to good use

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-) #

rabbitohbill
21-01-2006, 07:19 PM
simply, they need the cash to save you next time, You would be dirtier if they didn't show up.

Bosunsmate
21-01-2006, 07:45 PM
As a prior member of a VMR I can assure you that they have a fight trying to maintain and operate their vessels and equipment....esspecially when the government does jack schit to help financially....

I reckon the couple of hundred of $$ requested as a donation is far less than the funeral bill had you had a more serious misshap because you were stuck out in the middle of the paddock waiting for a miracle...

Cost of vessel + cost of lives on board = ? I bet this outweighs the cost of the rescue..

westie
21-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Guys and Gals I think that ..."howzat"... may have got the Idea that he should do the honourable thing and pay up.

So Howzat...... you asked the question, do you except the answers given.

A coment from you at this time might be in order.

subzero
21-01-2006, 09:45 PM
theoldlegend, if at some part you do manage to reschedule and feel that you can help out, their are many different aspects within all units that could benefit with extra hands... this can be in anything from administration, vessel maintanance, building maintanance, fund raising, radio operator/monitor, active crew, trainers, even down to someone who is available to mow the lawn... the list go's on and on. If you feel later that you can help just pm me and we will meet up down at the base and have a talk....

Redspeckle, each VMR Rescue Unit set's their own fee for their membership and will sort out how far their area of service offered will be for themselves. (Each unit has different operational expenses and may not have the manpower to fundraise as much as others so all these things have to be taken into consideration when determining minimum costs and membership fees).

Generally most VMR units in the Bay will honour the other units membership.
VMR Raby Bays and ours have agreements covering from Bribie in the North to as far down as Southport. Some of the units may offer a "Gold Membership" as well such as VMR Jacobs Well that I believe covers all of Queensland for a slightly higher fee.

Generally if a vessel has a problem that can not be attended to by the unit who sold you the membership payment will be handled in one of several ways.

You may be handed or posted an acct for the assistance which you then forward to the unit who holds your Waterside Assist membership and they will pay it.

The unit may contact another unit on your behalf to do the job for them in which case they will ask for the bill to be sent direct to them.

If it is a small job, it may be written of as a sort of, "You owe us one" style of thing's.

For those that are unfamiliar with the Region, waterside assist operates a recipricol agreement between
VMR Bribie
VMR Brisbane
VMR Nth Stradbroke
VMR Raby Bay
VMR Victoria Point
VMR Jacobs Well
and VMR Southport
Some whom work closely with Coast Guard units and may offer through agreements the assistance of a particulat unit also.

Hope the info help's
Cheers Lloyd

subzero
21-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Jeremy, I agree with you... their appears to be some discrepancy in someones timing or mathematics... howzat said it was a 10 minute tow, the Coast Guard told him they look for $150 an hour for the vessel that they used.
For a total of $285 that is just under a full 2 hours. I wonder how far away the particular unit was that he called for assistance because of course they did have to travel to get to him as well and that has to be taken into account?

Just as an aside, I am an RACQ Ultra-care member and I had car problems that required me to be towed from Burleigh Heads to Moss St, Slacks Creek. The difference in what Ultra Care covered and the milage to Moss St was an additional $105-00. I thought I got my moneys worth considering once I was offloaded he had to return to the Coast.

Cheers Lloyd

Sportfish_5
21-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Not bad coin that for 10 mins ::) ::)

Agree that payment is due for services rendered but gee whiz that is a bit steep for that.

Maybe you should have rowed back to Pinkenba 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Cheers

Greg

bay_firey
21-01-2006, 10:54 PM
This is what I was going to say in my first attempt To hell with the consequences

I see we have yet another new member that joins up simply to have a bitch and a whinge, when the responses are not the ones that were sort after, the member dissapears never to be seen again.

When asking such a question one would think that "howzat" would keep ane eye on the thread for the responses. 3 days have passed and no response ??

Participate in the discussion and become a member of our community, don't just drop in for a whinge and then bugger off

subzero
21-01-2006, 11:01 PM
bay_firey, I think he may have gone for a duck ;D Cleanbowled by the majority of the members ;)

howzat
28-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Hey all,

Well to bay_firey firstly, i haven't had a chance to reply as i work all the time. I am replying to everyone now.

The first thing i want to say is that i never said i wasn't going to pay the money. All i wanted to know was wether it was an invoice or a donation, which i assume now it is an invoice ! Just new to this chat scene and have just worked out how to reply. I tried to send a pm to bay_firey but it wouldn't let me for some reason.

I appreciate all the comments that i have recieved from this topic and am going to join the vmr. I am only new to owning a boat aswell so this is all new to me.

Thanks all
Cheers

shaman
28-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Gee & I was thinkin' how boring tonights threads were.

Morlers
28-01-2006, 08:48 PM
I appreciate all the comments that i have recieved from this topic and am going to join the vmr. I am only new to owning a boat aswell so this is all new to me.

Goodonya Howzat. I'm sure that when you join a VMR group you will learn lots, meet some great guys and gals, understand the cost pressures on the VMR units and will see boating from a different perspective.

All the best

:) :)

Morlers

Morlers
28-01-2006, 08:52 PM
I almost forgot. Welcome to the site. I hope you learn heaps and contribute so we can also learn as well.

:) :)

Morlers