PDA

View Full Version : There are no stupid people...just........

thumps
28-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Lately I have been reading a few of the topics...and it seems to me that given the access we have to the internet (considering everyone that reads this chat board does)
Why do people make bold and untrue statements?

The topic for less agro may be valid...but given that some members post totally ridiculous statements without any back up makes me a little "antsy"

It is very good and worthwhile to read the topics on this site...and to have people relate "actual events" that helps us all to learn from each other with regard to our fishing experiences.

What really peeves me...is those that make a statement from a "he said. She said" angle with no reasonable and logical foundation.

A simple "google" would dispel most of the untruths and stop the poster from saying something that may be "confrontational"...even though that may not be their intention..."it’s just what they heard"

I have on occasion made posts that are of my opinion...but that’s purely what they are....but to make a statement that neither reflects an opinion...or is justified in anyway....well...to me...is just a waste of space..IMO

I don’t have any real problem with people having an opinion...but stating an obvious mistruth is just making room for "agro"

So if I was to have an opinion...then it would be this

Research your answers to posts.....make informed replies...have some fun occasionally...and keep this site what it’s meant for.

“There are no stupid people....just people that don’t have the necessary information to relate to a given topic”

thumps
28-01-2006, 12:09 PM
oh...and keep to the question asked with your responses :)

Owen
28-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Absolutely!
And tomorrow when I haven't had a beer or three I'll come back.
Coz right now I'm not sure what the question was ;)

cheers,
Owen

Owen
28-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Actually, a couple of neurons just fired, so I'll throw my two bob in.
The biggest worry I have seen lately is people making (often 2nd hand) statements and naming companies.
This is a very dangerous practice.
It can damage the livelihood of not onlt the business owner(s), but their employees as well.
At the very least, if you are going to bag a company online, they should have first been given the opportunity to resolve the issue at hand first.

If you stop and think about it, there must be a huge reserve of knowledge on this site pertaining to all sorts of fields. This knowledge may have come from professional/work background, personal experiences or even from what you have read in a book or a web site.
We just have to stop and think that even though someone has an alternate method or view to ours, it does not make them wrong (or us right).

cheers,

Owen

PinHead
28-01-2006, 01:12 PM
“There are no stupid people....just people that don’t have the necessary information to relate to a given topic”

That is BS thumps..there are stupid people and I am one of them...so let's not kid ourselves there are no stupid people on the planet..cos we are out here.

Fishinmishin
28-01-2006, 01:21 PM
If you want all facts...why don't we all stick to books or Google (even though half of google is crap). I thought forums are about peoples opinions and comments and the diversity of it all. Post what you think, listen to others opinions and in the end make your own judgements. Anything else is just plain boring and as IMHO those who accept anything that the stupid people (that's me) say as immediate truth are probably the dumbest ones and I hate to think how they are going to battle through everyday life with that level of ignorance.
Really....no offence intended as I think ALL opinions on the site belong here...it's more up to the reader to decide what to reply to and what to ignore.
Cheers, Jay

BigE
28-01-2006, 01:22 PM
cause the only time a fisherman tells the truth is when he another a liar!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

E

thumps
28-01-2006, 01:25 PM

That is BS thumps..there are stupid people and I am one of them...so let's not kid ourselves there are no stupid people on the planet..cos we are out here.

thats an opinion....cause there are no facts to support it..............and well worth posting :)

thumps
28-01-2006, 01:27 PM
If you want all facts...why don't we all stick to books or Google (even though half of google is crap). I thought forums are about peoples opinions and comments and the diversity of it all. Post what you think, listen to others opinions and in the end make your own judgements. Anything else is just plain boring and as IMHO those who accept anything that the stupid people (that's me) say as immediate truth are probably the dumbest ones and I hate to think how they are going to battle through everyday life with that level of ignorance.
Really....no offence intended as I think ALL opinions on the site belong here...it's more up to the reader to decide what to reply to and what to ignore.
Cheers, Jay

thats exactly my point...have an opinion..make a comment...but leave the third hand news where it belongs...in someone elses mind

Panda
28-01-2006, 02:27 PM
When someone starts with the personal insults and threats its a pretty good indication they have run out of evidence to support their point of view.

Even top experts in many fields disagree and intelligent debate is one way we can move forward. Meeting them in the carpark to sort it out with fists is pretty immature.

I have seen it happen in other non fishing forums where some obsessed member spends hours going thru old posts in order to track down another poster they want to assault. You will always get a few of those types in any forum unfortunately. Its up to admin to ban them if they go over the line. Personally, I think anyone who threatens violence to another poster should be banned straight up. But thats just my opinion.
But for the less dangerous ones who perhaps lose their temper in the heat of a debate, peer pressure is probably the best way to keep on track.

theoldlegend
28-01-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm stupid, because my daughters keep telling me that all the time.

Gwenda mutters something similar under her breath, but far enough away so I can't hear it.

All because they're pretty computer smart and I'm not. Who bought them their cars and their laptops, pays their fees and whatever?

Stupid, thats who.

Thumps, that's their opinion and they have no hard facts to back it up.

Don't know how that fits with your philosophy.

God, I'm depressed. I need more sustenance.

TOL

PinHead
28-01-2006, 05:25 PM

thats an opinion....cause there are no facts to support it..............and well worth posting :)

LOL..there are many facts...just ask the other half.

wayneoro
28-01-2006, 08:02 PM
if a man knowes not and knowes he knowes not it could be said he is a wise man but a man who knowes not but knowes not that he knowes not is a fool this was told to me by an old texas gent playing poker in vegas many yrs ago it has certainly popped into my mind many times on this site yet i have learnt lots from knowledgeable fisherman yet other times were told load of rubbish with mates to support it [arm chair fisherman ]

juicyfruit
28-01-2006, 08:15 PM
“There are no stupid people....just......lots of blondes"??????????

nonibbles
28-01-2006, 09:15 PM
::)...Because blondes are people too?

DICER
28-01-2006, 09:17 PM
;)

gawby
28-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Thumps,

A completely well-adjusted person is a bore.

JLBOIL page 10

Graeme

Hoges
29-01-2006, 05:17 AM
IMHO the two quotes below sum it all up!

"A Wise Man can see more from the bottom of a well than a Fool can see from the top of a mountain.”
;D

”Free speech carries with it some freedom to listen”

[smiley=administrator.gif]

Jeremy
29-01-2006, 11:33 AM
When someone starts with the personal insults and threats its a pretty good indication they have run out of evidence to support their point of view.

Even top experts in many fields disagree and intelligent debate is one way we can move forward. Meeting them in the carpark to sort it out with fists is pretty immature.

Personally, I think anyone who threatens violence to another poster should be banned straight up. But thats just my opinion.

Well written Panda. I agree 100%

Jeremy

Jeremy
29-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Cheers, Jay

Agree with Jay here too. Bottom line, it is a chat board and opinions are what it is based on.

Jeremy