PDA

View Full Version : travelling OS with fishing rods

rowdycowdy
29-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Hello

I am travelling OS tommorrow and am planning to take a rod with me. I will be packing a zipperd bag of soft plastics and my reel in my suitcase and will take my rod in a canvas rod bag with my onboard luggage.
Does anyone have any experience with taking gear OS as it is my first time and don't want to run into any implications when boarding.
I am going to Borneo in Malaysia.

any advise would be much appreciated, please don't hesitate to answer as my time is short before I depart

Cheers

Rowdy

P.S. I am not packing any knives in my gear bag, I guess in these times we live in it would not be smart

trueblue
29-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Make sure your hooks etc are all in your checked in baggage. They qualify as a "sharp' object according airport security. I don't know how much of a weapon a fish hook might be, but thats the way it is.

Make sure the rod you take is a two piece, and is less than about 3 1/2 feet long when in the bag / tube. That way you can get it into the overhead lockers easily, and they won't take it off you and put it into the cargo hold.

If your rod is a long one, make sure it is secured inside a pvc tube with your zippered bag inside that. otherwise they have a bad habit of ending up broken on the other side. When you pack your zippered rod bag inside the pvc tube, stick some newspaper around it to make everything nice and tight to it won't slop around too much. Make sure it can't slide forward and backwards inside the tube either - protects the rod tip if it moves inside the tube.

Put your good reels inside a sock or some material bag that isn't easily obvious what it is. If you get a casual bag search, where they just poke their noses into many bags, you might avoid being asked for a bribe to keep it. (This doesn't happen so much anymore, but no point having your gear really obvious to a casual glance by security)

rowdycowdy
29-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks Mick

I have a 7ft Steve Starling Squidgee rod which is exactly 3 and a half foot when in the canvas bag so this should be ok.

All my jig heads will be in my zippered soft plastic bag which will be in my checked luggage.

I will take bribe money if neccessary. But I do not wan't to miss the opportunity of catching fish in a place I have never been and may not go back to.....life is too short.

thanks again Mick

regards

rowdy

trueblue
29-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Rowdy

You shouldn't have any dramas with the bribe racket, but it can happen now and then. And there is nothing better than using your own rod in a remote location far away from home. Keep everything covered up and you should be ok.

...and don't take any photos with your mobile phone that could be construed as explicit in nature, they are having a huge crack down and people go to jail in Malaysia for than now. I'm sure you wouldn't, but pass the message to anyone you might be travelling with.

rowdycowdy
29-01-2006, 05:54 PM
What about camera's is this a problem?

rowdy

trueblue
29-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Same deal with digital cameras. Sometimes police / security in malaysia do random checks going through all of the photos on the camera / phone camera.

it has become a problem were people were taking especially mobile phone cameras into go-go bars and taking lots of photos of naked dancers, or otherwise more explicit photos with prostitutes.

If there is nothing of that sort of photo file on your camera, you will have no dramas. if you do take such photos, you can expect to go to the lockup if caught.

If they do ask you to show them your photos, thats why they are doing it. nothing to worry about though if all clean.

rowdycowdy
29-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the info Mick

As I am travelling with my wife and mostly doing tours and treks, my photo's should be sedate but It is good to know just in case!!!!!!!!!!.

thanks mate

rowdy

DICER
29-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong - chewing gum, is illegal and charged as an offence?

raefpud
30-01-2006, 12:11 AM
singapore always had a no chewing gum policy - but now u can buy it in a chemist shop with a permit - they are fairly tolerant of foreigners now and you shouldnt have a problem - cheers - have a great time