PDA

View Full Version : Overnight parking at the Deep Water Bend ramp

Mr__Bean
30-01-2006, 12:33 AM
G'Day Guys,

Thinking putting in at the Deep Water Bend ramp on the Pine River and will probably be back quite late (maybe next morning).

Is it fairly safe to park your car and trailer there?

- Darren

revs57
30-01-2006, 07:20 AM
Darren,

you might want to PM kingtin, I think thats his turf..cheers

Rhys

thumps
30-01-2006, 07:23 AM
is it safe to park anywhere???

doesnt matter where it is...if someone wants to target you...they will.

crimes of oppurtunity take place every day...pot stealing...trailer stealing...car stealing.

you take your chance every time you leave something un attended.

if you want to leave your car out all night...then make sure you have good insurance...a car alarm...and an immobilizer

oh...and a hope it will be alright.

Black_Rat
30-01-2006, 08:21 AM
I would think that the ramp at Dohles Rocks would be safer than Deep Water Bend

WHITTO
30-01-2006, 10:05 AM
I heard of one poor buggar at Deep Water Bend had the winch rope from his trailer attached to his car bonnet and the rest is history, Bloody nice to come home too,its a bit out of the way at Deep Water Bend,I would put in at Dohles Rocks, Cheers Whitto

Poseidon
30-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Yes, Dohles Rocks would be a better option. Least there is a bit of drive past traffic that may deter the yobbo's.

land_based
30-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Dohles rocks is probably a better option but both of these areas attract young blokes who think they are victor bray in there vk's.

Mr__Bean
30-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks Guys,

Have to agree, Dohles Rocks has far greater visibilty.

Only problem for me is that I need a small jetty to tie up to, or a sandy beach to pull up onto whilst I park/retrieve the car and trailer. The boat is too heavy to try and hold onto at the end of a ramp.

When I looked at the Dohles Rocks ramp it looked like rocks all round the ramp, with nowhere to pull up and tie to.

- Darren

Louis
30-01-2006, 02:40 PM
G'day Darren,

Unfortunately Deep Water Bend does have a pretty bad name for Cars getting stolen/damaged etc.

Louis

The_Walrus
30-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Dohles Rocks ramp has tie up rings on either side and there is beach at low tide.

I'd go Dohles Rocks ramp.

Luc

madman1
30-01-2006, 02:52 PM
If you are going off shore Darren I would leave from the Scarborough boat ramp. The VMR is right next to the ramp and lighting is good.

I am in the process of joining the Queensland Cruising Yacht Club at Shorncliffe. Beers are cheap and you can lock your car up in the compound.

Family membership is circa $600 for the first year then circa $400 - $450 there after. Its a good spot for the kids to grow up also.

Alternatively you could get the missus to take the car and trailer home and pick you up when you get back.

Cheers

Mark

Mr__Bean
30-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Hmmm, looking more like Dohles Rocks isn't it.

Might have a closer look at those tie up rings and at the surrounding bank at low tide.

Alternatively you could get the missus to take the car and trailer home and pick you up when you get back.

Thanks Mark, but you obviously haven't seen Mumma Bear (Sharon) get woken at 4am.

The reason I ask about the ramp is that I am keen to stay out late (overnight) on the right night and give the Bull Sharks a go, seems to be too much traffic there during the day for longer lines to be out floating baits down a reasonable berley trail.

- Darren

Fishej
30-01-2006, 06:59 PM
At least Deep Water Bend has a flood light in the car park now. Until recently the thieves and vandals couldn't see what they were doing.

Cheech
30-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Thumps, I totally disagree. There are definately big differences between different ramps security. The question was specific to deep water bend. But there are other ramps that I feel very safe to leave my car at. And I do as I often fish at night.

Bean, as the others have said, I would not even leave my car at the bend, even in daylight.

An alternative is to use clontarf. This is not far from the mouth of the river. I often use it when fishing the pine. Is a bit of a hike to the upper reaches of the pine, but certainly an option anywhere from the highway bridge down. It has sand beach on the seaward side of the ramp and gravel on the other. Use the sand as it gets shallow on the other side. Also, it is pretty silted up at low tide, but if you plan you arival and departure at 1/4 or better tide, then it is fine. And shelterd in all weather. The carpark is reasonably safe as it is frequently used, and has spotlights, cleaning tables and hoses if you want to flush and hose at the ramp.

Cheech

2DKnBJ
30-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Darren
Deepwater Bend is out of the way and pretty secluded also not many people around at night.I personally know someone who has had their car trashed there.
Cheers Dazza

lippa
30-01-2006, 10:35 PM
as all have said deep water bend ramp is a disaster becacause of d-heads they cruise down there at night looking for trouble, mamma bear with a sore head will be better than a trashed car!!!!, good luck getting the old girl up, cherrs, lippa

Feral
31-01-2006, 06:02 AM
Deep water bend has had a murder or two and a coupla rapes there in the last couple of years. Probably starting to get to dangerous for your average scumbag vandal or trailer thief!

If your gunna frequent such places, an old $1000 clunker is not a bad investment for towing the boat around! (Still run the risk with the trailer though)