PDA

View Full Version : Getting Bored Offshore - Thailand

trueblue
30-01-2006, 05:20 PM
G'day All

Just showing an example of what can happen offshore on a drilling rig when a few blokes get bored, and start chasing something they see swimming around...

I can't claim this one because by the time I got involved it was near all over, but fun all the same to watch it dripping blood onto the deck.

This was caught on a hand made hook made by the rig welder, crimped to a 1/8" stainless steel wire cable, secured to the handrail with a shackle. Bait was about 1.5 kg of freshly defrosted beef that mysteriously vanished out of the galley ...

It was hauled to the side by 6 or so blokes, then then as it was very early morning and most of the bosses were asleep, the crane was used to get onto the tail and hoist it out of the water.

The chap in the photo is the Thai rig welder who made the hook (that stayed straight just long enough to get a tail wrap on it.

Tight lines

Angla
30-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Hey Mick,
What cha gonna do with that? He's not the cook too is he?

Angla

trueblue
30-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Angla, trust me, nothing goes to waste in Asia.

And before anyone comments, yes it is a standard height handrail, and yes the rig welder is a very short little bloke - the shark is only 6'6".

Blackened
30-01-2006, 05:46 PM
G'day
Damn that's a classic. Really opens up the mind to other corners of the globe, methoods and just what can happen out and about with a little ingenuity.
Dave

Panda
30-01-2006, 06:46 PM
If I am not mistaken, thats a Bull Shark? Supposedly good eating.

trueblue
30-01-2006, 07:17 PM
It looks a lot like a bull shark, being short compared to its girth, and its snubby nose, but also looks slightly similar to a whaler.

Can anyone help with proper ID based on fins?

Panda
30-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Well Trueblue, did the cook serve it up or not?

Pretty sure thats a Bull.

trueblue
30-01-2006, 07:36 PM
It was mostly chopped up and frozen for the local Thai Crew to take home. That many kilos of fish means a lot to their hip pockets over here.

Some of it was cooked up on the rig, but I didn't try any.

trueblue
30-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Hey, Panda

Thanks for the ID. Its strange actually. These bulls must have a very wide range of habitat. We have them as problems at home in Qld in canals, creeks and rivers (even right up the Brissie river), and this one was caught 200 nautical miles offshore in 300 feet of water.

Panda
30-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Tom Yum Bullshark -- alloy!

Sawardecarp.

wayne_cook
31-01-2006, 10:26 AM
least it wasn't wasted.